Mazda CX-5 insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your Mazda CX-5 based on your age and location.
This vehicle fills a sizeable gap in the market. It is a large SUV, but it only has five seats. It offers the size, without being too difficult to handle and is a lot cheaper than a lot of other similarly built vehicles. It’s relatively cheap to insure too, as we’ll explore now.
What insurance group does the Mazda CX-5 fall under?
All vehicles are assigned a specific insurance group before being made available to buy. These groups range from 1 (cheapest to insure) to 50 (most expensive). These groups help insurers determine a suitable premium cost for drivers. Mazda CX-5 models range from insurance group 14 to 23, meaning the car insurance will be on the cheap side.
However, the costs may vary slightly between different Mazda CX-5 insurance groups due to a number of different factors related to the vehicle. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £768 for cover on a Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-G 165ps 2WD SE-L 5d that is in insurance group 14 or around £841 for a Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D 184ps AWD Sport 5d that is in insurance group 23. From this comparison, we can see the impact of premium pricing when one car is in a much higher insurance group.
Mazda CX-5 insurance cost by location
There are a number of factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premiums, one of the biggest being your location.
To show the power of the postcode, we ran some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-G 165ps 2WD GT Sport Nav+ auto 5d.
- Expensive: £948 (London SE1)
- Average: £791 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £578 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Mazda CX-5 insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, there are a number of significant factors that have a key impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. Vehicles with large engines typically cost more to insure. For example, it may cost £968 for insurance for a Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D 150ps 2WD SE-L auto 5d, while you may pay £978 for a Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D 184ps AWD Sport auto 5d.
- Driver location. Your address helps insurers to determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or involved in an accident. Those living in an area where this is more likely to happen will pay more for their insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £948 for insurance for a Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-G 165ps 2WD GT Sport 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £791. That’s a £157 difference between living in London and Newcastle, because Londoners are a lot more likely to make a claim.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers represent the biggest risk to insurers, and that’s why they pay more for insurance. Here’s an example. The average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,689 for the Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-D 150ps 2WD Sport Nav auto 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £885. As you can see, in this example, the 20-year-old has to pay almost double to insure a Mazda CX-5.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Annual miles driven
- Your driving history and activity
- No claims discount
How can I save on my Mazda CX-5 premiums?
There are plenty of tricks you can use to try and lower the cost of your premium, and we’ve listed them below.
- Limit your car usage (where possible). If you can lower your annual mileage, you’ll usually be offered a lower premium.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. If you can afford to pay annually, you should do so, as many insurers charge interest on monthly premium payments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer your car is, the less of a risk it will be for companies to insure. By adding extra safety measures, you’re quite likely to lower your premium.
- Shop around for the best deal. Don’t just settle for the renewal price given to you – there may be cheaper options out there!
The Mazda CX-5 is a welcome addition to the selection of SUVs available to buy. As well as being great to drive, it is reasonably priced to insure. Better yet, you can reduce your premiums even further by following the tips in this guide.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Mazda 5 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mazda 5 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mazda CX 3 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mazda CX 3 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mazda 6 insurance group and cost
Find out the insurance group for your Mazda 6, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your car insurance.
Mazda RX-8 insurance group and cost
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Mazda RX-8 based on the driver’s age and location.
Mazda MX-5 insurance group and cost
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Mazda MX-5 based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Mazda 3 insurance group and cost
Compare the average cost of car insurance for a Mazda 3 based on the model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Mazda 2 insurance group and cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mazda 2 and some top tips on how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Ask an Expert