Mazda 5 insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your Mazda 5 based on your age and location.
The Mazda 5 was first sold as a compact MPV in 2005, before eventually being transformed into a minivan. It was discontinued in 2015, due to poor sales. The Mazda 5 doesn’t have as many choices of engine and trim levels as its immediate rivals. With that said, you should be able to pick up a second-hand model at an affordable price and you’ll pay reasonable insurance costs. In this guide, you’ll find out how much it costs to insure based on the age and location of the driver.
What insurance group does the Mazda 5 fall under?
All vehicles are given a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive) which helps determine the cost of your premium. Mazda 5 models range from insurance group 14 to 21. This means you will pay less to insure this car, compared to the average vehicle. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £768 for cover on a Mazda 5 1.8 TS 5d that is in insurance group 14 or around £816 for a Mazda 5 2.0d Sport 5d that is in insurance group 20. This shows the impact on premium pricing when one car is in a much higher insurance group.
Mazda 5 insurance cost by location
There are a range of factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premium, including your location. In fact, this is one of the most crucial factors.
To show the power of the postcode, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for an Mazda 5 2.0 Sport 5d.
- Expensive: £932 (London SE1)
- Average: £781 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £568 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Mazda 5 insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, here are some other factors that have a large impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, the larger the engine, the more you’ll pay for your car insurance. For example, it may cost £913 for insurance for a Mazda 5 1.8 TS2 5d, while you may pay £960 for a Mazda 5 2.0 Takara 5d Auto. In this example, you’ll pay an extra £47 for the same vehicle with an engine that’s 0.2 litres bigger.
- Driver location. Insurers use your home address to determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £932 for insurance for a Mazda 5 2.0 Sport Nav 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £781. In this example, the Londoner will pay £151 extra per year to insure the same car.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers will pay the most for car insurance because they are the most likely to make a claim. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,670 for the Mazda 5 2.0d Furano 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £875. In this scenario, the younger driver will pay an extra £795 per year to insure this vehicle.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating score
- Your car’s security features
- Your car’s anti-theft precautions
- Your annual mileage
- Your no-claim discount
- Your marital status
- Your credit history
- Your occupation
How can I save on my Mazda 5 premium?
Car insurance can be expensive, but there are plenty of things you can do to ensure it doesn’t break the bank. With that in mind, here are some ideas to lower the cost of your premium.
- Limit your annual mileage (where possible). Occasionally deciding to walk or get public transport, rather than using your car, can help to save on your premium.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. When you pay annually, you eliminate the possibility of being charged interest on monthly payments.
- Install extra safety precautions. By adding additional safety measures, you make your car less risky to insure. That’s why many insurers are happy to offer you a discount when you do so.
- Shop around for the best deal using price comparison websites. Don’t just settle for the renewal price offered to you. There is likely to be a better deal available by switching to a competitor.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Saab 9-3 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Saab 9-3 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mitsubishi ASX insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mitsubishi ASX falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Porsche Cayman insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Porsche Cayman falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Porsche 911 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Porsche 911 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Jeep Cherokee insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jeep Cherokee falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Soul insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Soul falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Venga insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Venga falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mercedes-Benz B-Class insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mercedes-Benz B-Class falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Tesla Model 3 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Tesla Model 3 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mercedes-Benz SLK insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mercedes-Benz SLK falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert