Kia Rio insurance group and costs
Find out the insurance group for your Kia Rio, how much it should cost to insure and how to drive down your premiums.
The Kia Rio is a sedan and hatchback that has been produced by the South Korean that has been produced since 1999. In this guide, you’ll discover the key facts about insuring a Kia Rio.
Kia Rio car models fall within car insurance groups 2-10, which means the cost of your premiums can vary quite a bit. However, you might find the cost of your insurance to be much cheaper in comparison to other car makes and models which fit into a higher insurance group rating. For example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £582 for cover on a Kia Rio 2 1.4 CRDi 76bhp ISG 5d, or around £721 for a Kia Rio GT-Line S 1.0 T-GDi 118bhp ISG 5d.
Looking at the table below, you can find out the insurance group of your Kia Rio model, and how much you’re likely to pay for your car insurance.
Kia Rio insurance groups and average cost by driver’s age
Average Kia Rio insurance cost in the UK
To give you a guideline on how much it would cost to insure your Kia Rio, we ran several quotes in order to find out an average figure. Our results estimated that you could, on average, insure your Kia Rio with comprehensive cover for monthly payments of £61.25 or an annual sum of £675.36
Kia Rio insurance cost by location
There’s a number of factors that affect the cost of your insurance premium, including your job and marital status. Where you live, how busy your location is and the likelihood of theft, also play a big factor in determining the cost of your insurance.
To show the impact of location in your insurance rates, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Kia Rio 2 1.0 T-GDi 99bhp ISG 5d.
- Expensive: £836 (London SE1)
- Average: £700 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £505 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Kia Rio insurance rate?
Along with your car’s insurance group, these three factors have the biggest impact on the cost of your insurance:
- Engine type and capacity. The bigger your engine, the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. For example, an average 30-year-old may pay £631 for the 1.25-litre Kia Rio 2 1.25 83bhp ISG 5d, but could pay around £653 for the 1.4-litre Kia Rio 2 1.4 98bhp ISG 5d.
- Driver location. Insurers factor in the likelihood that your car will be stolen or involved in an accident when calculating your insurance, and your location has a big impact on this. As an example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay £846 for insurance for a Kia Rio GT-Line 1.0 T-GDi 118bhp DCT auto ISG 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £711.
- Driver age. Like location, the age of the driver plays a huge role in determining the cost of your insurance premium. The average 20-year-old driver in London could pay £1,400 for the Kia Rio 1 1.25 83bhp ISG 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £733.
However, there are many other factors that can also impact the price of your premiums. These include:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating, security and anti-theft precautions
- Likelihood of theft
- The model and age of your car
- Your driving activity
- Your driving history
- No claims discount
How can I save on my car insurance premiums?
Depending on your individual circumstances, car insurance can be an expensive requirement. If you add this to additional costs such as car tax, petrol, MOTs, servicing and maintenance, it can cost a lot to be on the road.
Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to reduce your car insurance premium for your Kia Rio, and we’ve listed them below:
- Avoid any driving convictions. It may sound obvious, but having convictions on your record will make your premium more expensive.
- Limit your car usage where possible. You could save money on your insurance by being more sparing with your car usage. Opting for public transport or walking when you can will help keep your mileage, and premiums, lower.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. By paying annually, you could save £59.64 on average a year!
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you make your car, the better your premium will be. By investing in extra safety features, your vehicle will be more secure and less of a risk to insure.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. When it’s time for renewal, make sure you shop around – you’ll be surprised at how much you could save by assessing your options.
Kia Rio facts and trivia
- The Kia Rio was first produced in 1999 and is still being manufactured today.
- The vehicle was awarded the 2017 Red Dot Award for Passenger Car Design.
- To market the international release of this car, Kia produced two music videos featuring American musician Lee Radde and Korean-American singer Kate Kimand.
Kia Rios are a popular vehicle and with most falling into an insurance group from 4 – 10, you should be able to find a good level of comprehensive cover without breaking the bank.
However, don’t forget that there are other factors that can affect your insurance premiums such as your age, your location, your driving history and the insurer you select.
If you’re wondering which insurers to select, check out our rundown of the 10 best car insurance companies.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lotus Elise insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lotus Elise falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 407 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 407 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert