Kia Picanto insurance group and cost
Compare car insurance costs for your Kia Picanto by age and location.
The Kia Picanto is a small city car produced by the Korean manufacturer since 2004. This entry-level car is one of the more affordable petrol cars available to buy, run and insure in the UK. In this guide, you’ll learn the key facts about insuring this vehicle.
Kia Picanto insurance groups and cost by driver’s age
When it comes to car insurance, all vehicles are given a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive) which helps determine the cost of your premium. Kia Picanto models range from insurance groups 3 to 10, so you can generally expect the cost of your insurance to be quite reasonable.
However, the the cost of insurance can vary between insurance groups based on a number of different factors including your car’s performance, safety features and cost of repair. For example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £631 for cover on a Kia picanto 1 1.0 66bhp 5d (insurance group 4), or around £721 for a Kia Picanto GT-Line 1.0 T-GDi 99bhp 5d which falls in insurance group 10.
You can find the insurance group, and likely premium cost, of your Kia Picanto model in the table below.
Average Kia Picanto insurance cost
To provide you with an idea of how much it may cost you to insure your Kia Picanto, we ran several quotes to find an average figure. Based on our results, on average, you could insure your Kia Picanto with a comprehensive policy for the monthly price of £60.05, or an annual sum of £661.92.
Kia Picanto insurance cost by location
The table above shows the average cost of Kia Picanto insurance based on insurance groups and driver age. However, a number of other factors can affect the cost of your car insurance premiums, one of the biggest being your location.
To show how much your location can impact your premium, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Kia Picanto 1.25 83bhp 5d.
- Expensive: £823 (London SE1)
- Average: £688 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £492 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Kia Picanto insurance rate?
Along with the insurance group, there are other key factors that impact your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, the bigger the engine, the higher the cost of your insurance. An average 30-year-old may pay £631 for the 1.0-litre Kia Picanto 1 66bhp 5d, but could pay around £688 for the 1.25 litre Kia Picanto 83bhp 5d.
- Driver location. Where you live helps determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or you’ll be involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £823 for insurance for a Kia Picanto GT-Line S 1.25 83bhp 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £688.
- Driver age. The younger you are, the more risk you represent to insurers, and the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. The average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,358 for the Kia Picanto Wave 1.0 66bhp 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £711.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Annual miles driven
- Your driving history and activity
- No claims discount
How can I save on my Kia Picanto car insurance?
Whilst car insurance is a legal requirement, you don’t want it to cost a fortune. When searching for insurance, you’ll want to find the best deal for a price that’s within your budget. There are a few tricks you can try in order to save on your car insurance premiums, and we’ve listed them below.
- Limit your car usage (where possible). Occasionally deciding to walk or get public transport, rather than using your car, can help to save on your premiums.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Whilst it might be scary to part with a large sum of money in one go, by paying annually you can save an average of £58.68 a year.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer your car is, the less of a risk it will be for companies to insure. By adding extra safety measures, you’re quite likely to lower your premium.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Although it might be time consuming, when it’s time for renewal make sure you shop around and don’t just settle for the renewal price given to you – there may be cheaper options out there!
Kia Picanto facts and trivia
- The vehicle is primarily manufactured in Seosan, South Korea.
- It is also known as the Kia Morning, Kia New Morning or Kia Eurostar in various parts of the world.
The low cost of insuring a Kia Picanto is definitely one of the pros of driving this vehicle. With the tips in our guide, you’ll be able to drive your premiums down even lower.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Soul insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Soul falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Venga insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Venga falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sorento insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sorento falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Niro insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Niro falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Ceed insurance group and cost
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Kia Ceed based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Kia Rio insurance group and costs
Find out the insurance group for your Kia Rio, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.
Kia Sportage insurance cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Kia Sportage and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Ask an Expert