More Than says its comprehensive cover will offer a courtesy car as standard and protect against accidents with uninsured drivers. What’s more, the insurer claims to offer existing customers up to 15% off certain additional car insurance policies. Here’s what else we think you should know about this top-rated car insurer.
Who is More Than?
More Than is a trading name of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Who underwrites the car insurance from More Than?
More Than car insurance policies are underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc.
More Than is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Compare More Than policies
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What are More Than’s levels of cover?
To be on UK roads, all drivers are legally required to have at least third party car insurance. More Than doesn’t offer third party on its own, but it does offer two higher levels of cover.
- Third party, fire and theft (TPFT). If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Comprehensive. This is the highest level of cover on offer through More Than and will provide the same protection as TPFT as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It’s always worth checking the cost of comprehensive as it can be cheaper than third party or TPFT.
What types of car insurance are available?
- Young driver insurance. More Than offers young drivers insurance through its More Than Smart Wheels telematics or “black box” policies.
What is covered under my policy?
|Product Name||More Than Third Party, Fire and Theft||More Than Comprehensive|
|Damage to your car||✓||✓|
|Damaged windscreen and window glass||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||✓||✓|
|Personal accident cover||✓||✓|
|Liabilities to third parties||✓||✓|
|Permanently fitted audio equipment||✓|
More Than offers a range of additional protection to bolt onto your policy, including:
- Breakdown cover. More Than offers four levels of RAC breakdown cover.
- Legal cover. Up to £100,000 of legal expenses paid.
- European use extension. Comprehensive EU cover for up to 93 days.
- Enhanced In-car entertainment cover. Greater cover for up to £2,000.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for More Than?
You should call the More Than claims line on 0800 300 252 to make a claim.
The claims line is open Mondays to Fridays 8am to 8pm and Saturdays 8am to 4pm.
Alternatively, you can complete the initial online claims form within the claims section of the More Than website.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Details about the incident
- Names and contact details of everyone involved in the incident, including passengers, third parties, any witnesses
- The makes, models and registration numbers of all vehicles involved
- Third party insurance details and policy numbers
- Crime reference number, if applicable
- Digital photographs, if available
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
More Than car insurance customer reviews
On customer review platform Trustpilot, More Than as a company has 4.2 out of 5 stars and a rating of “Great”, based on more than 11.8K reviews.
On similar platform, Reviews.io, the company has 4.24 out of 5 stars, based on more than 1,400 reviews. 83% of customers say they would recommend the service.
Customers love the helpful service and easy to use app, but some report poor service and price hikes (updated December 2020).
More Than pros and cons
- More Than’s car insurance is 5-star Defaqto-rated
- Third party EU cover included with comprehensive cover
- Claims can be made online
- Claims line is not open 24/7
- Limited online information about specific car insurance policy details
More Than is one of the most well-known and well-trusted insurance companies in the UK. It offers strong comprehensive options, but is not very forth-coming with information about what is and isn’t covered under some of its policies, so make sure you read the small print.
Despite narrowly missing out on a spot in our car insurance top 10, many of More Than’s customers commented on the high level of service offered by the company.
Frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lotus Elise insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lotus Elise falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 407 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 407 falls under and how much it costs to insure.