SoFi life insurance review 2020
SoFi and Ladder Life come together for affordable life insurance without medical exams.
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want inexpensive term life insurance.
- Pick something else if… You’re a smoker, or want a permanent policy.
20 to 60
$100,000 to $8,000,000
Medical Exam Required
|Policy options||Term life insurance|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years|
|Claim methods||Reach out Ladder|
|Available states||All states|
|Customer support||Phone: (855) 456-7634|
|Riders||No riders available|
Adrienne Fuller is the head of publishing at Finder US. With a decade of experience creating guides in finance and education, she aims to deliver the accurate and transparent information she wishes she had when she made some of life's important financial decisions. For the past 3 years she has been the publisher of money transfers, helping readers save when they send money all over the globe. She has a BA from Colorado College and loves to hike with her two Catahoula dogs around her home in San Diego.
If you’re a millennial or young adult who’s looking to protect your loved ones with a term life insurance policy, SoFi might be a good fit. The finance giant partners with Ladder Life to offer up to $5 million in coverage — or $1 million without the hassle of a medical exam.
But if you’re in the market for a permanent policy, compare life insurance companies.
What types of life insurance coverage does SoFi offer?
SoFi only offers term life insurance. You can choose a 10-, 15-, 20-, 25- or 30-year term, depending on your age.
The insurer sells policies worth up to $5 million with a medical exam, or up to $1 million if you’d prefer not to take one.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
SoFi keeps it simple, and doesn’t allow policyholders to customize their coverage with riders.
How much does SoFi cost?
Rates vary depending on your age, gender, health and lifestyle. To give you an idea of costs, healthy applicants under 40 can expect to pay $15 to $45 a month for a term life policy.
Pros and cons of SoFi life insurance
- Quick application and free quotes. The application takes around 10 minutes, and is fully online.
- No medical exam option. If you’re under 40 and healthy, you’re not required to submit to a medical exams, blood work or similar testing.
- Backed by Ladder Life. SoFi’s policies are issued by Ladder Life, a financially strong fintech company that’s known for offering online life insurance.
- Approval not guaranteed. You may be denied coverage if you’re a smoker or have a poor medical history.
- Exclusively offers term life. If you want a permanent policy that grows in cash value, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
Compare other life insurance companies
SoFi life insurance reviews and complaints
SoFi isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it has an A- rating for its customer interaction. The BBB has recorded 137 complaints over the last three years, which isn’t unusual for a financial services company of this size. Customers award the company 2 out of 5 stars.
On Trustpilot, SoFi’s earned 4 out of 5 stars, with many customers praising the personalized and efficient service.
How do I apply for SoFi life insurance?
You can apply for coverage online. These are the steps:
- On SoFi’s homepage, click Get my quote. You’ll be taken to Ladder Life’s site, SoFi’s partner in offering term life insurance.
- Once on Ladder’s page, click Get Started.
- Select your desired amount of coverage and term length. Click Next.
- Answer a few personal questions about your health, job and lifestyle, and enter your contact information and Social Security Number. Click Next.
- After verifying your information, you’ll be presented with a quote. If you’re happy with the quote, you can continue to the application.
I’ve signed up. What happens next?
Most applicants are presented with an instant decision. If approved, register your policy online so you can make a payment, update your personal information, renew your policy and more.
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.