Forget the hidden fees and fine print — this checking account has neither.
We’re all working hard to earn money — so why should managing it be complicated?
That’s NBKC’s point of view that’s built on a promise to bank simply. For customers, there’s just one personal checking account on offer, and it prides itself on having no hidden fees or fine print. It’s easy to sign up, and once you do, you’ll score a debit card and start earning interest on your growing balance.
As a community bank, it’s very limited in its reach, however, with only four branches located throughout Kansas and Missouri. If you don’t live in one of these states and like to visit your bank in person, you’ll likely want to look elsewhere.
|Minimum deposit to open||$5|
|ATMs||Use any of the 32,000+ MoneyPass ATMs in the US for free|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$0|
|Deposit methods||Cash by ATM|
Check by ATM
Mobile/remote check deposit
What are the benefits of a checking account with NBKC?
Open a NBKC Personal Account, and you’ll be privy to these benefits:
- No fees. NBKC stands out in the market for its “no gotchas” mantra. With a personal account, you’ll only pay a fee for sending domestic and international wires. There are no fees for overdrafts or non-sufficient funds (NSFs).
- No minimum balance required. You’ll need $5 to open this checking account. After that, you don’t need to maintain a minimum balance.
- Free NBKC Debit Mastercard. When you open a Personal Account, you’ll get a chip-enabled debit card that’s accepted worldwide.
- Complimentary access to MoneyPass ATMs across the US. Use any of the 32,000 ATMs in the MoneyPass network for free.
- Monthly refunds on ATM fees. NBKC goes one step further, reimbursing you up to $12 a month for ATM fees charged by other banks.
- Competitive APYs. Thanks to a generous 1.01% APY, this checking account earns a lot of interest with unlimited transactions.
- Sophisticated online and mobile banking. Manage your account, set alerts, deposit checks, and make and stop payments online or on the app.
- Perks and freebies. As a customer, you’ll score a free box of checks and pay $0 to access online banking, bill pay, cashier’s checks or eStatements. It’s also free to deposit checks and receive domestic wires.
Convenience and safety
- Convenient deposit methods. Deposit money into your account at a branch, via mail and using the app by taking a picture of your check. You can also deposit cash or checks at most MoneyPass ATMs.
- Security. The FDIC insures your account up to $250,000. Plus, NBKC has savvy security systems: You’ll need to authorize any high-risk transactions, and you can download the bank’s Detect Safe Browsing app for free.
- Easy to sign up. Apply for an account online, over the phone or in person at a branch.
- Wide-ranging support. Speak to an agent in person, by email, on live chat or over the phone by calling 888-905-2165 on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT.
NBKC’s ATM network and fees
You can dip your NBKC Debit Mastercard into over 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs across the country. They’re free to use, and you can hop on the website to search for one near you.
If you choose to use ATMs outside the MoneyPass network, NBKC will refund you up to $12 monthly for ATM fees charged by other banks.
What should I look out for?
No account is perfect. These factors may sway your decision:
- Expensive wire transfers. It costs $5 to send domestic wires and $45 for international wires. If you’re receiving money, you’ll pay $45 for international wire transfers. Incoming domestic wires are free, though.
- Limited customer service times. The team is only available to talk about your account during office hours on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT. The exception is for lost and stolen cards, which you can report 24/7 by calling 800-528-2273.
- Limited branch access. NBKC has just four physical branches in Kansas and Missouri, which may deter people outside of those states who prefer face-to-face communication with their bank.
Compare with other checking accounts
How much do I need to open an account?
The minimum opening deposit is $5. To earn interest, you’ll need to have at least $0.01 sitting in your account.
How do I apply?
Applying for an account is as easy as filling out an online form. Follow these steps:
- Go to the NBKC website and click Personal under Open Account.
- A page with three boxes will pop up. Select Open Personal Account.
- Click Get Started.
- Confirm the account you’re applying for by checking Personal Account and clicking Next.
- Enter your email address and phone number, review the consent forms and check the boxes saying you’ve done so.
- NBKC sends a verification code to you via text. Type this in when you’re prompted on the next page.
- Continue filling out your personal details.
To open a checking account with NBKC, you need to be:
- A US citizen or resident alien
- At least 18 years old
When you’re applying for an account, keep these details and documents handy:
- Social Security number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
What other checking options does NBKC offer?
NBKC doesn’t offer any other checking account options. However, it does have a Personal Money Market Savings account. It requires a $5 minimum opening deposit, and it has an APY of 1.51% for balances up to $1 million and 1.06% for those over $1 million. Account holders can make up to six withdrawals or debits a month for free.
Does this bank offer business services?
Yes. In alignment with its “bank simply” motto, NBKC offers just one Business Account. The checking account costs $5 to open, but online banking is free and there are no limits on account transactions. It comes with an NBKC Business Debit Mastercard, and you’ll pay nothing for overdrafts or NSFs, bill pay, cashier’s checks, incoming domestic wire transfers and eStatements.
To enhance your banking, you can add on NBKC’s ACH Credits and Debits for an extra fee. It helps with direct deposit, payroll and vendor payments as well as rent, subscriptions and fee collection. You can also opt into Desktop Deposit. It offers unlimited NBKC account support, unlimited deposits from your office and access to check-scanning equipment.
To match the personal banking options, NBKC has a Business Money Market Savings account. You’ll earn 1.51% APY for balances up to $1 million and 1.06% for those over that limit.
In terms of eligibility, you have to be a US citizen or resident and at least 18 years old. You’ll also need to prove that you’re authorized to open accounts on behalf of the business.
You work hard for your money, so NBKC tries to make managing it easy. It does this with the help of a single checking account that’s all about free perks. As a personal account holder, you won’t be charged sneaky fees, and you’ll pay nothing to use the bank’s slew of services like online banking, ATMs and bill pay.
While the account is straightforward, NBKC only has four physical branches in the Midwest and real-time support is limited to business hours.
Before stashing your cash in any bank, do the research and compare your options with our guide to checking accounts.