NBKC Everything Account review
Forget the hidden fees and fine print — this savings and checking account hybrid has neither.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
Formerly called the NBKC Personal Account, the NBKC Everything Account is a two-in-one checking and savings account built on simplicity. It has no hidden fees, earns a 0.25% APY and comes with cash management tools to help you save for goals and track your expenses.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||0.25% on balances of $0.01+|
|Fee||$0 per month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$5|
|ATMs||Use any of the 32,000+ MoneyPass ATMs in the US for free|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Up to $12 monthly for ATM fees other banks charge you|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||0%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$0|
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
NBKC’s Everything Account gives you everything you need to manage your spending money and your saving money all in one place. Its transparency and lack of hidden fees is a breath of fresh air for those who want to simply bank without having to worry about racking up charges. You won’t pay anything for monthly maintenance, overdrafts, foreign transactions and more.
The account also features a competitive 0.25% APY and plenty of tools to help you track your savings progress and visualize where your money is going.
But if you do a lot of in-person banking, there are only four physical branch locations and support is limited to business hours.
How do I open an NBKC Everything Account?
Apply for your account online, over the phone or in person at a branch. Follow these steps to apply online:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the NBKC website, click Personal under Open Account.
- A page with three boxes will pop up. Select Open an Everything Account.
- Click Get Started.
- Confirm the account you’re applying for by checking Everything Account and clicking Next.
- Enter your email address and phone number, review the consent forms and check the boxes saying you’ve done so.
- NBKC sends a verification code to you via text. Type this in when you’re prompted on the next page.
- Continue filling out your personal details.
To open a NBKC checking account, you need to be:
- A US citizen or resident alien
- At least 18 years old
When you’re applying for an account, keep these details and documents handy:
- Social Security number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
What are the benefits of an NBKC Everything Account?
Open a NBKC Everything Account and you’ll get access to standard features — such as sophisticated online and mobile banking tools and a free box of checks — as well as these unique benefits:
- No fees. NBKC stands out in the market for its “no gotchas” mantra. With an Everything Account, you’ll only pay a fee for sending domestic and international wires. There are no minimum balance requirements or fees for incoming domestic wires, foreign transactions, cashier’s checks, overdrafts or non-sufficient funds (NSFs).
- Competitive APY. Thanks to a 0.25% APY, this spend and save account earns more interest than most traditional savings accounts.
- Savings goals. Set up virtual piggy banks in the NBKC app to save for an unexpected emergency, a wedding, a pair of new sneakers or anything else on your list.
- Financial snapshots. The NBKC mobile app is chock-full of charts and graphs to help you see exactly where your money is going.
- Accepts cash deposits. Most digital bank accounts that don’t accept cash deposits, but you can deposit cash or checks at most MoneyPass ATMs with NBKC.
NBKC’s ATM network and fees
You can dip your NBKC Debit Mastercard into over 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs across the country. They’re free to use, and you can hop on the website to search for one near you.
If you choose to use ATMs outside the MoneyPass network, NBKC will refund you up to $12 monthly for ATM fees charged by other banks.
What should I look out for?
No account is perfect. These factors may sway your decision:
- Expensive wire transfers. It costs $5 to send domestic wires and $45 for international wires. If you’re receiving money, you’ll pay $45 for international wire transfers. Incoming domestic wires are free, though.
- Limited customer service times. The team is only available to talk about your account during office hours on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT. The exception is for lost and stolen cards, which you can report 24/7 by calling 800-528-2273. But you can also reach an agent in person, by email or live chat.
- Limited branch access. NBKC has just four physical branches in Kansas and Missouri, which may deter people outside of those states who prefer face-to-face communication with their bank.
If you prefer an account with branch locations near you, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a checking account.
Compare with other checking accounts
How much do I need to open an account?
The minimum opening deposit is $5. To earn interest, you’ll need to have at least $0.01 sitting in your account.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
The NBKC Everything Account gives you several ways to access funds:
- Remote check deposit with mobile app
- Direct deposit
- Cash or check deposit at an ATM
- Wire transfer
- Transfer from another bank
- ATM using your debit card
- Wire transfer
- Transfer to another bank
What other checking options does NBKC offer?
NBKC offers one business checking account option called the Business Account. Similar to the Everything Account, it has a $0 opening deposit and absolutely no fees for overdrafts, stop payments, incoming domestic wires, mobile deposits and monthly maintenance. Unlike other business checking accounts, this one also has no transaction fees, which means you can make as many deposits as you’d like without having to worry about hitting a limit.
Does this bank offer business services?
Yes. In addition to the Business Account, NBKC has a Business Money Market Savings account that earns a competitive 0.80% APY on all balances. It also offers business CDs with terms ranging from 14 days to 60 months.
In terms of eligibility, you have to be a US citizen or resident and at least 18 years old. You’ll also need to prove that you’re authorized to open accounts on behalf of the business.
Frequently asked questions about NBKC
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.