How to send money to Belgium
Want to send an affordable money transfer to Belgium? Here’s how to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Compare money transfer services to Belgium
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to friends, family and businesses overseas. Generally, it involves you sending cash or money from your bank account to an intermediary transfer service or bank, which then exchanges and sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Belgium.
Depending on the provider, you can initiate a money transfer in person, online or by phone. Your cash or bank account transfer is then either deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available as cash for pick-up at a location in their country.
Banks versus money transfer companies
You might think that your bank would be the best place to go when you want to send money to Belgium — but you’d be wrong. While banks can easily handle international wire transfers, especially when you’re sending a currency as common as the euro, they offer quite low exchange rates and regularly impose high fees.
You can save a significant amount of money, and ensure that your recipient gets a whole lot more, if you send your funds via a specialist money transfer company. These companies usually offer exchange rates far superior to the banks and also charge much lower fees.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Belgium
- Exchange rates. Does the provider offer competitive exchange rates when compared to other companies?
- Fees. How much will it cost you to send a transfer? Can you avoid fees altogether by sending a large amount?
- Transfer methods. What options are available for placing a transfer: online, over the phone, at a branch? Is there an app available?
- Transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Turnaround time. How long will it take for the funds to arrive in your beneficiary’s bank account or wallet?
- Minimum limit. Are there minimum or maximum transfer limits in place that could restrict your transaction options?
- Pick-up methods. Can the cash you send be picked up from a transfer agent in Belgium, or will the funds be transferred straight into a bank account?
- Customer service. Will adequate customer support be available if you ever have a question or need help?
Steps to send money to Belgium
- Choose a transfer provider who sends money to Belgium
- Register with the provider on their website providing your name, address, contact information and date of birth. A valid photo ID will also be required.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address and contact details. Depending on the transfer method you may also have to supply their bank account information.
- Enter the amount you want to transfer, complete your transaction and save your tracking or receipt number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Options for sending money to Belgium from Ireland
- Bank transfers. Any major Irish bank can easily transfer euros overseas for you.
- Online money transfer providers. There are plenty of reliable online providers offering affordable transfers.
- Cheques. International cheques provide safe and secure transfers but are quite slow.
- Money transfer companies with cash pick-up options. Western Union and MoneyGram are the two largest operators of worldwide transfer networks.
- PayPal. Don’t just use your PayPal account to make overseas purchases; use it to send money transfers as well.
Emergency cash transfers in Belgium
Do you need to send an emergency cash transfer to Belgium? Maybe you need to send an urgent transfer to a friend who is vacationing in Belgium and has had their wallet stolen?
There are several companies that can get your funds to Belgium within minutes, but just be wary of the fact that you will need to be willing to pay a bit extra for this service. High fees and sometimes lower exchange rates will apply, so check the fine print closely before committing to a transaction.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Belgium
- Phone ahead to confirm the transfer agent’s location and opening hours.
- Don’t visit an agent in an unsafe area.
- Avoid picking up cash at night if possible.
- Keep your cash hidden and don’t wave it around in public.
- Avoid carrying the cash on your person for any longer than is necessary.
More guides on Finder
Revolut Premium vs Revolut Standard
We compare Revolut Standard and Revolut Premium side by side to help you decide which account is right for you.
The UK-based CurrencyTransfer platform lets you compare and select the best money transfer rates.
EUR to GBP exchange rate
EUR to GBP Exchange Rate
EUR to THB Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Thai Baht. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to THB.
EUR to SEK Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Swedish Krona. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to SEK.
EUR to RON Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Romanian Leu. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to RON.
EUR to PKR Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Pakistani Rupee. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PKR.
EUR to PHP exchange rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Philippine Peso. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PHP.
EUR to PLN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Polish Zloty. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PLN.
EUR to NGN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Nigeria Naira. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to NGN.
Ask an Expert