Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Kiribati
The best ways to send money from Hong Kong to Kiribati.
Money transfers are a fact of life for many people. If you make frequent transfers to Kiribati, you’ll want to compare your options and find a service that keeps your costs low while allowing you to send more to your loved one in Kiribati. And since the Kiribati dollar is pegged to the Australian dollar, you’ll have plenty of options when you’re looking to send money overseas.
Compare international money transfers to Kiribati
Banks vs money transfer companies
While your bank may be your first choice when it comes to making money transfers, it may not be the best choice. Banks often charge high fees and offer low exchange rates, making them a poor choice when you’re looking to send money to Kiribati.
Money transfer companies, on the other hand, offer much better deals for most people. Fees tend to be lower, exchange rates more favorable and transfer times faster. You can find multiple companies that will convert Australian dollars at good rates, so take the time to compare your options and find one that offers you the best deal.
What ways can I send money to Kiribati from Hong Kong?
- Specialist transfer providers. There are several providers that make HKD-AUD transfers, but make sure that you check and see if it will send Australian dollars to a recipient in Kiribati.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Cash pickup allows your recipient to quickly collect cash from one of many agent locations. However, they do run the risk of being stolen from if you send a large amount of money.
- Bank transfers. Bank-to-bank transfers to Kiribati may be possible, but you will likely face high fees and a less optimal exchange rate.
- International checks. Sending an international guaranteed check is a slow and potentially expensive option, but it is a common option.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is the amount you’ll get when you trade one currency for another. The Kiribati dollar is pegged to the Australian dollar, which means these are of equal value. So when you’re sending money to Kiribati, you’ll only need to calculate the exchange rate between HKD and AUD. This amount can fluctuate, so it pays to keep tabs on it and send money when your Hong Kong dollars will yield more Australian dollars.
How do I send money to Kiribati?
- Pick a provider from the table above by comparing exchange rates and fees.
- Create an account with the provider by entering your personal information.
- Start a transaction, enter your recipient’s information and select how much you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer and save the tracking number.
Same-day transfers to Kiribati
There are companies that allow you to send money to Kiribati quickly without charing exorbitant fees. Companies like WorldRemit offer quick transfers that won’t break the bank, and you may even be able to score a decent exchange rate. However, take a little extra time to compare your options and find a provider that meets all your criteria. Don’t let a rush stop you from getting a good deal.
Tips for picking up cash in Kiribati
Picking up cash from a transfer provider can make you a target for thieves, so keep a few simple safety tips in mind when collecting funds:
- Don’t go alone — ask a friend to join you.
- Don’t pick up cash in any area where you don’t feel safe.
- Don’t display your cash in public.
- Don’t carry funds around with you for any longer than you need to.
Kiribati may be a small country, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have options when you want to send money to a loved one. Because it uses the Australian dollar, you’ll have multiple choices when it comes to comparing rates and fees. And if you’re not quite sure how the process works, our in-depth guide on money transfers should help you navigate the details.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
What is Siacoin? Understanding the Sia platform
Delivering the power of the blockchain to cloud hosting, Sia is a peer-to-peer solution for data storage.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
How to buy, sell and trade Pundi X
Read our guide to cryptocurrency point-of-sale payment provider Pundi X, its NPXS tokens and how to buy NPXS in Hong Kong.
How to earn passive income with cryptocurrency
It’s possible to make money from cryptocurrency without just buying low and selling high. Here’s how.
HitBTC exchange – January 2021 review
If you’re considering buying and selling crypto on HitBTC, a well-known exchange that supports more than 300 digital currencies, read this review first.
Cryptocurrency exchange fees
Check out this comprehensive guide to the deposit, withdrawal and trading fees charged by crypto exchanges.
What is an initial coin offering (ICO) and how does it work?
ICOs provide a way for investors to buy into a new cryptocurrency. But before buying you need to know how to spot the scams and bad investments.
A to Z: The Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary
From bitcoin to Shitcoin, every term you will come across on your cryptocurrency journey can be found in finder’s A to Z: Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary.
Ask an Expert