Figure mortgage refinance review
You could get approved in only 10 minutes, and close on a loan in just a few days.
Figure seeks to make refinancing quick and easy. Its application is completely online, and it boasts turnaround times that can beat out other providers by more than 20 days. The catch? It’s not available in every state.
|Other minimum credits||620 for conforming loans, 700 for jumbo|
|Available States||AK, AL, AZ, CA, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, LA, MA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, PA, SD, TN, WA, WI, WV|
- Quick close times
- Completely online application
- Chat support six days a week
- Not available in all states
- You have to use your bank login information
- No specialized refinance
Figure's Trustpilot page paints a much better picture. It has a rating of 5 out of 5 stars from over 400 reviews, with only 4% of customer ratings falling below Great. And when it comes to praise, customers are generally satisfied with the speed of the application and approval process and professionalism of the representatives.
What can I expect when I refinance with Figure?
When you refinance with Figure, you’ll find some features that you’d expect to get with a regular bank and then some.
- Prequalification. Apply for prequalification without a hard check on your credit. The process allows you to get a quote with the rates calculated based on the information you give about your credit, income, house and the loan you’re looking for. Once you select an offer and move forward with the application, there may be a hard pull on your credit to verify your creditworthiness.
- Maximum refinance amount. The maximum Figure provides is $1.5 million, with a maximum of $500,000 in cash back, but this may be lower depending on your creditworthiness, income, debts and the property value, among other things.
- Accepted loan-to-value ratios. You can borrow up to 80% of your home’s value, up to the maximum amount.
- Flexible repayments. Figure allows you to pay off your loan at any time without a prepayment fee, but interest-only payments aren’t available.
Typical costs and fees
Fees for a refinance with Figure are fairly similar to those you encounter during the mortgage process. Your estimate will have a detailed list of the fees Figure charges, including:
- Origination. Figure charges an origination fee that’s typically close to 2% of the loan amount.
- Third party. Appraisal, recording and title fees are charged by third parties and are affected by the service provider and your location.
- Escrow. There is an initial fee to set up your escrow account, and you’ll pay into it each month, in order to cover taxes and insurance throughout the year, once you start making mortgage payments.
Do I qualify for refinancing with Figure?
To be eligible to refinance your mortgage through Figure, you must meet its eligibility requirements including:
- Minimum credit score of 620
- Minimum 2 years credit history
- No delinquencies in the last 24 months and no collections
- No bankruptcy in the past 7 years and no undischarged bankruptcies
- No foreclosures in the past 7 years
- Maximum 80% combined loan-to-value ratio
- Maximum 43% debt-to-income ratio
- Single family homes only
Apply for prequalification on the Figure website. Prequalification doesn’t affect your credit, and is only a few steps.
How to apply
The refinance application is completely online, and a decision can be made in a few minutes.
- Go to the Figure website
- Under Products click Mortgage refinance
- Select Find my rate
- Fill out your address, information about the loan, your personal information including date of birth and income and select I agree
- Go over your rates and choose your offer
- Verify your identity
- Review documents
- Add any signers
- Detail your income, assets, declarations and liabilities
- Submit your application
Pros and cons
Weigh the good and the bad of using Figure to refinance your loan:
- Quick close times. Figure claims that applicants can close in a matter of days, as opposed to a month or more that is often found with other lenders.
- Completely online application. Apply online without ever leaving home.
- Chat support six days a week. Get answers to any of your questions online, Monday through Saturday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT.
- Limited state availability. Refinancing through Figure is not available in every state.
- You have to use your bank login information. While Figure doesn’t store your bank account login information, it requires it to verify your assets.
- No specialized refinance. If you’re looking for a VA mortgage refinance or FHA Streamline, you’re out of luck with Figure.
Frequently asked questions
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
The price of a speedy approval process and closing time is the potentially impersonal feeling of an automated application decision. And it requires you to extend your trust when you provide your bank account login details.
But if you can take that leap of faith, you live in one of the states it serves and you take advantage of its highly-rated customer service, you may find your experience with Figure to be a quick and personable one.