Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Genesis G80 car insurance rates
How to find a cheap rate while protecting this luxury midsize sedan
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The Genesis G80 is the entry point to the luxury brand’s lineup, and the 2018 model has scooped up awards for its safety and overall value. It’s easy to insure, but like most high-end cars, premiums tend to be on the pricey side. The average cost of insuring a Genesis is around $175 a month — or $2,100 a year.
That figure might vary depending on your provider, driving history, level of coverage, where you live and how often you drive.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Get car insurance quotes for your Genesis G80
How to compare insurance for the G80
When you’re researching car insurance for your G80, take these factors into account.
- Price. Decide how much coverage you want, and then use that sample to compare providers.
- Coverage types. The G80 is a luxury car, so you may want to purchase more than the minimum liability protection. Many policyholders opt into uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments coverage and personal injury protection (PIP).
- Extras. In most cases, you can enhance your policy with extras like accident forgiveness and vanishing deductibles.
- Restrictions. Thanks to its high performance and safety ratings, the G80 is usually easy to insure. However, many insurers refuse to cover teens driving high-end cars. Read the fine print now to avoid denied claims and gaps in coverage later.
- Warranty. A five-year, 60,000-mile basic warranty or 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty comes standard with any new G80. This is more generous than the industry standard for luxury cars, which is usually capped at four years and 50,000 miles. Genesis’s warranty program includes complimentary scheduled maintenance services for three years or 36,000 miles — whichever comes first.
Does Genesis offer any special programs?
- Are you associated with the military? Active duty, reservists, veterans and retired US military personnel may be eligible for a $500 discount on new vehicles distributed by Hyundai Motor America, owners of the Genesis brand.
- Some dealers also participate in Hyundai’s College Grad Program, which offers a $400 bonus on the purchase or lease of new cars.
- And while it’s not exactly a discount, the Mobility Program offers contributions up to $1,000 toward the cost of installing adaptive equipment in your car if you’re someone who requires it.
- Your insurer may offer additional discounts for things like loyalty, defensive driving and paying your premiums in full.
What factors affect car insurance for the Genesis G80?
Insurers have intricate algorithms that assess your driving history, where you live and the car you drive. They also weigh things like mileage, body styling and engine power differently. As a result, rates vary between providers and policyholders.
For a Genesis G80, your premium is affected by these factors.
- Body type. The G80 is a luxury, four-door sedan. It’s powerful and on the pricey side, so its insurance rates tend to be higher than the national average.
- Fuel option. The 3.8L model runs on regular gas, while the 5.0 and Sport models use premium gas. All models have turbocharged engines, which can raise insurance rates.
- Type of car. The G80 is classed as a luxury midsize sedan. Sedans are typically on the cheaper end for insurance.
- Repairs. While the G80 is a sedan, it’s a high-performance one with sophisticated styling and features. It can be costly to replace the interior or repair body damage. However, the generous warranty and maintenance program may offset those rates.
- Safety features. The G80 has excellent safety ratings and is equipped with a slew of safety features, like a rearview camera, blind-spot monitoring and automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection. Since these features mitigate the risk of damage in an accident, they often lead to lower rates.
Driver factors that affect insurance rates
When determining your rates, insurers look at your age, gender and marital status. They also analyze your driving history and any violations, accidents and claims. If your driving record is free from major traffic violations in the past three to five years, you’ll probably be rewarded with a cheaper rate.
Insurers consider your list of nominated drivers, too. If teenagers or unsafe drivers are getting behind the wheel of your car, you can expect to pay a higher premium.
Lastly, many providers assess your credit history. While it’s true that people with good credit histories are privy to better rates, there are insurers who specialize in covering drivers with poor credit.
Does the Genesis G80 qualify for discounts?
Yes. Your provider may offer the following discounts, which can cut the cost of your premium by up to 30%.
- New car discount
- Antitheft discount
- Safety feature discount
Reliability and safety ratings for the Genesis G80
Reliability and safety is where the G80 shines. The car scored a five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). It also earned the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) 2018 Top Safety Pick, which is reserved for cars with superior safety and crash prevention features.
US News ranked the G80 #2 in luxury midsize cars. It received a score of 8.8 out of 10 for combining state-of-the-art technology with a list of sophisticated and standard safety devices. ALG, the analytics subsidiary of TrueCar, says it has the highest predicted value retention of any other car in the midsize luxury sedan class.
The G80 is equipped with safety features such as multiple airbags, antilock brakes, electronic stability control, traction control, lane departure warnings, blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection. It has child safety locks, as well as two lower anchors and three top tether anchors for installing car seats, though the IIHS gave the G80’s LATCH system a marginal rating because the anchors are buried quite deep in the seats. You may be able to lower your premium by adding additional safety features, like a multi-angle camera and adaptive LED headlights.
In May 2018, Hyundai recalled 37 G80 and G90 cars for windshields and rear windows that may have been installed with the incorrect primer. Since this affects the glass bonding strength, those pieces are at risk of detaching while driving. To learn more, look up the recall number 18V305000.
Compared to its rivals, the G80 has a poor fuel economy. According to Fuel Economy, the average annual fuel cost for driving the 3.8L model is $2,100 per year. This number reflects the current fuel prices and a mix of 45% highway and 55% city driving over 15,000 miles. Fuel Economy estimates that you’ll pay $2,750 more in fuel costs over five years compared to the average new vehicle.
The history of Genesis Motors
Genesis broke away from Hyundai’s fleet to become a stand-alone brand in 2015. It launched in the US in 2016 and already made a splash on the automotive scene. While there are just two models on the market, the G80 and G90, it plans to have six models on the road by 2020.
In 2018, JD Power ranked Genesis as the highest premium brand for initial quality. The study evaluated 31 brands and 75,712 driver opinions after owning their new cars for 90 days.
Compare Genesis G80 competitors
Still searching for the perfect car? Compare other makes and models.
The Genesis G80 is a powerful, high-performance sedan. While you shouldn’t have a problem insuring the car, it is expensive to repair and replace, so the rates tend to be higher than other sedans. Genesis has a generous warranty and maintenance program, and you could cut costs even further with discounts for military personnel, loyalty and safe driving.
To ensure you’re getting the best rate, compare car insurance providers.
Frequently asked questions about the Genesis G80
More guides on Finder
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
How does a VIN affect car insurance?
Learn how insurance companies use identifying info from your VIN to set rates.
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
How much disability insurance do I need?
You won’t be able to replace all of your income with disability insurance, but you can buy enough to cover your biggest monthly bills.
Compare Auto Insurance
Get cheap car insurance rates.
How to buy life insurance during a recession
Learn how to choose a financially stable insurer and lock in a low rate for your policy.
Grundy classic car insurance review May 2021
Protect your classic as well as your daily driver with steep liability coverage all on one policy.
Cincinnati Life Insurance review May 2021
Occasional smokers can still get cheaper nonsmoker rates with Cincinnati Life Insurance.
Ask an Expert