Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Acura NSX insurance rates
Average Acura NSX insurance rates
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Average Acura NSX insurance rates
The Acura NSX is a luxury sportcar that’s relatively cheap to insure for such a luxury ride. The average insurance costs for an Acura NSX is $191 a month, or $2,292 a year. With a base price of $156,000, the annual insurance cost–to–base car price ratio is 1.5%, much lower than the national average of 4%.
Get unlimited discounts and score a lower deductible every 6 months you don't make a claim.
Our top pick: Progressive
Get unlimited discounts and score a lower deductible every 6 months you don't make a claim.
Acura NSX car insurance rates
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
Compare insurance providers that cover Acura NSX
How to compare insurance for the Acura NSX
Regardless of what vehicle you drive, you should always compare your options to find the best provider and coverage for your situation. But when it comes down to it, you may feel like all of your options seem the same. Here are a few things that you should consider when comparing car insurance for your Acura NSX:
- Price.The NSX is a substantial purchase, making it even more important that you choose the right policy. Instead of making your decision based on price, determine exactly how much coverage you need, then shop around for the best price.
- Deductible.Repairing an NSX might be expensive, so you definitely don’t want to be on the hook for the bill. Find a policy with a deductible that works for your budget; too high and you may end up paying out of pocket, too low and you could end up paying higher premiums.
- Minimum coverage.Minimum coverage varies among states. Make sure your coverage meets your state’s requirement.
- Additional coverage.Some insurance companies offer additional coverage like personal injury or uninsured motoristcoverage. If this is a priority for you, make sure your provider has options available.
- Extras.Whether you want extra coverage for your expensive tires and rims or no-deductible glass repairs, make sure to explore the extra coverage options each provider offers.
- Restrictions. Since the NSX is a sports car, some providers may have restrictions on what you can and can’t do. Be sure to ask about restrictions to prevent violating the terms of your policy and losing coverage.
- Manufacturer offer or loyalty discount. Some manufacturers may offer discounts or special offers through specific providers. Check with Acura and any potential providers to see if any apply to you.
- Warranty.Check with your manufacturer to make sure there’s no overlap between manufacturer warranty and extended coverage options from your provider.
- Expertise. Some providers specialize in exotic car insurance, designed directly for cars like the Acura NSX. These providers might be able to offer better rates, increased coverage, or other features that are ideal for this type of vehicle.
What factors affect car insurance for Acura NSX?
There are a number of factors that influence the price you pay for car insurance. Whether you’re trying to find coverage for an Acura NSX or a Mini Cooper, here are some of the things that insurance providers consider when determining your rate:
- Body type. The body type of your vehicle plays a large role in the price you pay for insurance. The NSX’s sporty aesthetic is expensive to produce, meaning it may be more expensive to insure compared to a sedan or SUV.
- Type of car.The NSX is an exotic sports car, which could indicate a higher risk of collisions considering its design and power.
- Theft. Although sedans are typically the most frequently stolen type of vehicle,
- Repairs.The NSX has elaborate features and expensive parts that may make it difficult to repair. This may make it may be more expensive to insure since repairs will require an experienced technician and parts may be harder to find.
- Safety ratings.While Acura is well known for great safety ratings, the NSX is a performance car that lacks active safety features that may be found on luxury models such as the Acura RLX. This may increase the cost of insurance.
- Usage. When you insure a sedan or SUV, most providers can expect that the vehicle will be used for commuting or errands. However, with an exotic car like the NSX, insurers might charge a premium based on the fact that it may be driven more for pleasure, as that could increase the risk of accidents.
- Engine type. Hybrid and electric vehicles can be more expensive to insure because parts cost more and service may require a trained technician.
How do trim packages and extra build options affect insurance cost?
The trim and packages on your Acura NSX can influence the price you pay for auto insurance. If you choose packages that can make your vehicle safer to drive, you may see a decrease in rates. However, if you choose to upgrade your engine or add a sports package, the increased power could lead to higher premiums. Here are a few of the packages available on the Acura NSX:
- Brakes. This option may provide better stopping power, but with an almost $10,000 price tag, may also raise your premiums to align with the increase in your car’s value.
- Wheels. Upgraded wheels offer a sportier look for your Acura NSX, but at $10,000, you might end up paying more for insurance.
- Sports package. This lightweight, aerodynamic package helps to increase performance, which could, in turn, raise the cost of insurance.
- Technology package. This package adds a number of features that enhance the driving experience including proximity sensors that may decrease your rates by lowering your risk of collisions.
- Wheel locks. These locks make it much harder for anyone to steal your wheels and many providers will provide a discount on auto insurance if you have them installed.
Acura NSX money-saving safety features
You could save money on car insurance for your Acura NSX if it comes equipped with these safety features.
- Anti-lock brakes
- Daytime running lights
- Proximity sensors
- Wheel locks
Does the Acura NSX qualify for auto insurance discounts?
Many providers will offer discounts based on the vehicle that you insure. While exact discounts may vary depending on your location, choice of provider, and more, there are a few that should apply to the Acura NSX:
- New car discount
- Anti-lock brake discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Passive restraint discount (Airbags, motorized seat belts, etc.)
- Usage or low mileage discount
- Emergency roadside assistance discount
How reliable is the Acura NSX?
Acura has a reputation for reliable vehicles, and the NSX is no exception. Most exotic cars aren’t meant to be used as daily drivers; they’re uncomfortable, bumpy, loud, and need frequent maintenance. The Acura NSX is another story. It’s comfortable, reliable and suitable for frequent use.
At the time of writing, there have been no recalls on the 2017 and 2018 Acura NSX models. In fact, the only model year that was affected by recalls is the first year the NSX was released, 1991. In 2005, Acura recalled 3.7 million 1991 NSXs for faulty buttons on seatbelt buckles.
There are no major issues with the 2017 or 2018 Acura NSX. However, Acura released a service bulletin to address a faulty thermostat that caused engine coolant to heat too quickly.
How safe is the Acura NSX?
Acura’s vehicles are generally considered very safe. While the NSX is no exception, you should keep in mind that it’s a performance vehicle, meaning it might not have as many safety features as an Acura MDX, for example. However, here are some of the safety features you can expect:
- Anti-lock brakes. This feature senses when a tire has stopped rotating when braking and will adjust brake pressure to allow the tire to rotate, increasing your ability to turn while braking.
- Stability control. This feature reduces engine power and/or applies brakes to help prevent the driver from losing control of the vehicle.
- Front-impact airbags. These airbags are designed to protect the driver and passenger’s heads during a frontal crash.
- Side-impact airbags. Side-impact airbags for the front seats protect the torso during a side impact collision.
- Overhead airbags. This feature is used to protect the occupant’s heads in the event of a side collision or rollover.
- Knee airbags. These airbags help to protect the occupants’ lower body in the event of an accident.
- Pretensioners. This feature automatically tightens seatbelts to help the occupants safely brace for a collision.
- Security system. The vehicle is equipped with a system to detect break-ins or theft. The vehicle is outfitted with a device that will prevent the engine from starting if the correct original manufacturer key is not used.
Unfortunately, there isn’t enough data to provide safety ratings at this time. Neither J.D. Power or the NHTSA have rated the 2017 or 2018 Acura NSX yet.
Acura NSX maintenance
Like most exotic cars, the NSX requires a bit of maintenance to ensure it runs smoothly and lasts as long as possible. Here’s what to expect with an Acura NSX:
- The Maintenance Minder program lets you know when your NSX is due for service. This includes things like replacing your oil, adding coolant, and so on.
- An oil change for an Acura NSX costs about $100 from a mechanic or around $150 and up from a certified Acura dealer.
- The 2017 Acura NSX gets 21 MPG in the city and on the highway.
- The NSX is a bit more complicated than other Acura models, so you may want to consider bringing it to an official Acura dealership for service. However, your warranty won’t be voided if you choose not to.
- The 2017 Acura NSX comes with a four-year/50,000-mile basic warranty and a six-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty. However, Acura also offers multiple extended warranty options.
Is an extended warranty worth it for the Acura NSX?
While Acura has a reputation for reliable vehicles, the NSX is a performance car that might take more of a beating than your average grocery-getter. The standard warranty is great, but for such an expensive vehicle, you may want to consider buying an extended warranty in case something happens after the initial warranty period ends. Acura offers a number of extended warranty options on its other models, but for information on the NSX extended warranty, you’ll need to speak with your dealer.
About the Acura NSX
The Acura NSX has been around since 1991 and was discontinued in 2005, before making its new debut in 2017. The car was designed as a classic sports car with the latest advance technology for an extraordinary driving experience. The 2017 Acura NSX model is the only supercar that was designed and manufactured in America.
Insurance companies determine the insurance cost for Acura NSX based on safety and theft ratings, replacement costs and overall damage susceptibility. Insurance rates can change based on a driver’s history and location. If you’re considering an Acura NSX, grab quotes from several insurance companies to find the lowest premium possible before you commit. Do your research to see if you qualify for insurance discounts.
Compare Acura competitors
The Acura NSX will cost about $1,000 more than the national average to insure, but that’s about what you would pay to insure an Acura MDX anyway. Either way, your actual rates might vary according to your age, location, and a handful of other factors. While you can expect to pay more for maintenance, insuring an Acura NSX isn’t all that expensive, especially if you consider a provider that offers high-performance or exotic car insurance. Before choosing a provider and policy, be sure to compare your options to find the coverage you need at a price that fits your budget.
Frequently asked questions about the Acura NSX
How does the Acura NSX compare to other car models?
From a price standpoint, the Acura NSX ranks right in the middle of our list of the 360 priciest car models to insure. Maybe when I have the list fully ready, I can put an actual number here Explore the prices of other car brands and models:
Read more on this topic
Compare the best online car insurance companies Compare the 5 best digital-focused car insurance companies.
Chevrolet Trailblazer car insurance rates This CUV might have higher rates than average unless the new model boosts crash safety.
BMW Alpina XB7 car insurance rates The BMW Alpina XB7 might require a luxury insurance package to get the coverage you need.
Is it illegal to sleep in your car? Some cities ban the practice, but otherwise you can overnight legally at designated parking areas.
Chevrolet Blazer car insurance rates Strong safety ratings help keep insurance rates predictable for the revamped Chevy Blazer.
Compare manual vs. automatic car insurance Cars with stick shifts cost a little less to insure than automatics
How to self-insure your car Self-insurance may not be the money-saver you’re hoping for.
Compare car insurance after a life event When life changes, re-evaluating your policy can help you save on your car insurance premium.
Coronavirus car stories LA drag racing, doggy DUI and premium forgiveness in the response to COVID-19.
Branch car insurance review May 2020 Branch auto insurance takes a community-focused approach with friend referral discounts.
Ask an Expert