Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.

Compare uninsured motorist coverage

Protect yourself from medical and car-repair costs that wouldn't otherwise be covered.


Fact checked

It’s not rare to come across an uninsured driver on the road. According to a 2017 study by the Insurance Research Council, one in eight drivers didn’t carry insurance in 2015. And getting into an accident with one of those drivers can end up costing you big. To protect yourself, consider buying uninsured motorist coverage.

How does uninsured driver coverage work?

Normally when someone hits your car, they’ll give you their insurance information so that you can file a claim with their insurance company. But what if that driver doesn’t have insurance? You’d have to collect money from them, and that can be a time-intensive and stress-inducing process. You may even have to litigate.

This is why uninsured motorist coverage can be valuable. If another driver doesn’t have insurance, you won’t have to go back and forth with them to receive compensation. Instead, your own insurance will cover your expenses.

There are two types of uninsured motorist coverage.

  • Uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) coverage. UMBI covers your medical bills and other costs like lost wages. When buying this insurance, you’ll need to decide if you want split-limit or combined single limit coverage.
  • Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) coverage. UMPD covers damage to your car. It may also cover expenses if your personal property is damaged, such as your house.

Is underinsured driver coverage the same as uninsured driver coverage?

You’ll often hear underinsured and uninsured coverage mentioned together. They both operate in similar ways, but underinsured coverage is used when the driver has some insurance but doesn’t have enough to cover your medical expenses or damage to your car.

Like uninsured coverage, underinsured has two types:

  • Underinsured motorist bodily injury (UIMBI) coverage. UIMBI covers your medical bills that exceed the amount the other driver’s insurance policy will cover. For example, if the other driver’s policy limit is $50,000 for medical injuries and your medical bills total $75,000, UIMBI will cover the extra $25,000.
  • Underinsured motorist property damage (UIMPD) coverage. UIMPD covers damage to your car beyond the cap on the other driver’s policy, just like UIMBI.

Our top pick: Progressive

Get unlimited discounts and score a lower deductible every 6 months you don't make a claim.

  • Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience.
  • Easy online sign-up and reporting.
  • Multiple discounts available.
  • Transparent quoting.
  • Top-rated insurer
  • Online quotes & claims
  • Bundle and save

Compare companies that offer uninsured motorist coverage

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Safe driver discount Available states
All 50 states
Get unlimited discounts and score a lower deductible every 6 months you don't make a claim.
AZ, CA, IL, LA, OH, TX, UT and WI
Find basic coverage and low rates through its easy online or app-based experience.
All states except AK & HI
Your broker is your one-stop shop for comparing any coverage you need.
Car Insurance Finder
All 50 states
Get your customized online car insurance quote from top brands near you. Answer 3 easy questions to see your top picks in seconds.
The AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford
All 50 states & DC
Enjoy exclusive savings and benefits designed for experienced drivers over the age of 49.
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Convenient online quotes, coverage and claims for tech-savvy drivers.

Compare up to 4 providers

How much does uninsured motorist coverage cost?

The cost of uninsured motorist coverage will vary depending on such factors as your age, location and driving experience. As a general rule, expect to pay around 5% of what your auto insurance costs yearly.

That means if you pay $1,300 a year for your policy, uninsured motorist coverage would cost under $6 a month.

Does uninsured coverage come with a deductible?

Uninsured motorist coverage may come with a deductible, so ask your insurer. If a deductible applies, you’ll choose how much you want it to be when you’re buying insurance. Weigh how much car repairs would cost against how much you’d want to pay out of your own pocket. The higher you set your deductible, the lower your insurance premiums will be.

Uninsured motorist coverage in action

You’re driving on the freeway, when you’re rear-ended by another car. There’s severe damage at the rear of your car, and you feel a slight pain in your neck. After you and the other driver pull over to exchange information, you learn that they don’t have insurance.

Fortunately, you have uninsured motorist coverage. Your UMBI insurance pays for your trip to the doctor to get your neck checked out, and your UMPD insurance pays for your car repair bill.

Why should I buy uninsured motorist coverage?

If you’re hit by someone without auto insurance, they may not have the means to compensate you. You may have to pay through your own insurance or out of pocket — or even sue if your own insurance doesn’t cover you fully. And if the other person can’t afford car insurance, a lawsuit might not result in getting any additional compensation.

If you don’t have uninsured coverage and you’re in an accident with an underinsured driver, your collision or comprehensive coverage might cover you. Collision pays for repairs to your car after an accident regardless of fault, and comprehensive covers a variety of damages. Much like a hit and run, where the at-fault driver can’t be found, you’ll need to make a claim through your own insurance, which could raise your rates.

The biggest reason to buy uninsured or underinsured coverage is to cover expensive repairs. For example, say you buy a brand new car. If another driver totals your car, their car insurance would need to cover the costs of your car’s repairs and medical bills. But if the other driver bought the absolute cheapest car insurance, they might not have enough coverage for your repairs which leaves you to foot the bill.

More than 20 states require uninsured motorist coverage. Some only require UMBI, some only require UMPD and others require both. Check your state’s car insurance requirements to see if you need to add uninsured coverage to your policy.

Uninsured drivers on the road by state

StateUninsured motorist %
New Mexico20.80%
District of Columbia15.60%
Rhode Island15.20%
New Jersey14.90%
West Virginia10.10%
New Hampshire9.90%
South Carolina9.40%
South Dakota7.70%
North Dakota6.80%
North Carolina6.50%
New York6.10%

Get the cheapest quotes

Compare car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Bottom line

Your state may require you to buy uninsured motorist coverage. Even if it doesn’t, buying a policy may make sense: Uninsured drivers are more common than most people think.

Don’t be afraid to shop around for the best price. You can find coverage that works for you by comparing car insurance companies.

Frequently asked questions about uninsured driver coverage

Read more on this topic

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site