Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare M&T Bank products: Savings, Checking, and CDs
A broad selection of personal and business banking options — but watch out for monthly fees.
What banking products does M&T Bank offer?
You’ll find a wide variety of accounts at M&T Bank:
- EZ Choice checking account. A basic checking account with no monthly maintenance fees.
- MyWay Banking checking account. Avoid the $4.95 monthly maintenance fee for this checkless account when you make one transaction a month.
- MyChoice Plus checking account. M&T Bank reimburses ATM fees with this interest-bearing checking account, but you’ll need to meet certain requirements to avoid the $0 monthly fee.
- MyChoice Premium checking account. There’s a $24.95 waivable monthly fee attached to this interest-bearing checking account, but you’ll get free standard checks and discounts on deposits.
- Relationship Savings account. This account aims to help you reach your financial goals but there’s a $7.50 waivable monthly maintenance fee.
- M&T Starter Savings account. This no-monthly maintenance fee savings account is for those under 18, but you must visit a branch location to open the account.
- Money Market account. This M&T Bank account has tiered rates, checkwriting privileges and a waivable monthly maintenance fee.
- CDs. M&T Bank offers flexible CDs with fixed or variable rates, but you must visit a branch location to open the account.
- M&T Simple Checking for Business. This flexible, low-cost account is best for new business owners. It has a waivable $10 monthly fee.
- M&T Tailored Business Checking. This checking account has a waivable $20 monthly fee and there’s no charge for your first 500 transactions per month.
- M&T BizFlex Checking. This checking account has a waivable $50 monthly fee if you have an account balance of at least $50,000.
- Non-Profit Checking. Not-for-profit organizations of all sizes get 50 free transactions per month. You can avoid the low $7.50 monthly fee under certain conditions.
- M&T Medical Services Checking. This checking account was designed for medical practices. There’s no charge on your first 1,000 transactions, but there is an unwaivable $25 monthly maintenance fee.
- M&T Professional Services Checking. Ideal for professional service firms, this account comes with a debit card, a waivable $10 monthly fee, no charge for your first 300 transaction items and a waived annual fee on a business access line of credit.
- M&T Business Interest Checking. This interest-bearing checking account comes with unlimited checks, overdraft protection and 24/7 account management. But the $25 monthly maintenance fee isn’t waivable and you must have a balance of $500 to earn interest.
- M&T Market Advantage for Business Savings. This savings account features tiered interest rates, but it requires a $10,000 minimum balance to avoid the $12.50 monthly maintenance fee.
- Commercial Checking. This checking account offers an earnings credit rate, but watch out for the unwaivable $27 monthly maintenance fee.
- Commercial Money Market Savings Account. This money market account is ideal for sole proprietorships, partnerships, DBAs and non-profits. It features tiered interest rates and no charge for 10 transactions a month.
- Commercial Savings Account. Earn variable interest on your cash balance with this savings account. The $5 monthly maintenance fee is waived with a $300 minimum daily balance.
- Credit cards. M&T Bank has three credit card options, including the M&T Visa Credit Card with Rewards.
- Auto loans. Take out an auto loan or a marine and recreational vehicle loan through M&T Bank.
- Mortgages. M&T Bank offers a wide range of mortgage options as well as home equity lines of credit.
- Financing options. Fund everything from private student loans to businesses.
- Personal loans. M&T Bank offers unsecured and cash-secured personal loans.
- Investing services. Invest in mutual funds, annuities, IRAs and more with M&T Bank.
Compare M&T bank accounts
M&T branch locations
M&T Bank has branch locations spread across the east coast:
How does M&T Bank compare to other banks and services?
M&T Bank is headquartered in Buffalo, New York and has 1,600 ATMs and over 750 locations in 10 states. It manages over $120 billion in assets and is ranked as the 462nd largest bank, according to Fortune 500.
- Low opening deposits. You only need $25 to open most M&T Bank checking accounts.
- Earn interest. M&T Bank has several interest-bearing checking account options for personal and business use.
- Variety. With 12 checking account options, you have the ability to choose an account that suits your needs.
- Monthly maintenance fees. Monthly maintenance fees range from $0 to $24.95 for personal accounts and up to $50 for business accounts. Some business fees aren’t waivable.
- ATM fees. Unless you have easy access to one of M&T Bank‘s 1,500 ATMs, you’ll pay for non-network ATM fees.
- Relationship perks. M&T Bank waives the monthly fee when you link your savings to an M&T Bank checking account or meet certain minimum daily balance requirements.
- Serves as overdraft protection. Link your savings account to your M&T Bank checking account and money will automatically transfer to checking if your balance dips below $0.
- Low rates. Even M&T Bank‘s promotional APYs are lower than the competition.
- Expensive excessive withdrawals. You’ll pay $12.50 each time you make more than six outgoing transactions a month, which is high considering most banks charge around $5.
- Flexible terms. Terms start out at 32 days and go up to six years.
- Accessible interest. Have your interest deposited back into your CD each month so it can keep growing. Or, have it mailed to you or sent to your M&T checking or savings account.
- Low rates. M&T Bank‘s interest rates are much lower than other banks.
- Opening deposit. M&T CDs require a $1,000 deposit to get started, which is average for most banks.
- Must be opened in-person. Some banks let you open a CD online, but M&T Bank requires you to visit a local branch.
- Business and commercial options. M&T Bank has a variety of checking, savings and money market options for business and commercial use.
- Resources. M&T Bank has a well-rounded resource center where you can get tips and tricks for managing your money.
- In-person banking. You’ll have to visit an M&T branch location to open a CD or an M&T Starter Savings account, or change your name and address with a debit card order.
- Limited branch locations & ATMs. M&T Bank has 1,600 ATMs and over 750 locations across the East Coast.
M&T Bank customer service
There are three ways to get in touch with M&T Bank:
- Call 800-790-9130 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET and weekends from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit a branch location near you.
Compare M&T Bank to the competition
Thinking M&T Bank isn’t for you? Compare accounts from other top-rated institutions:
If you’re an individual or business looking for a wide range of banking products, M&T Bank may fit your needs. But if a high-yield, fee-free account is what you’re after, shop around for other options.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
M&T Bank MyChoice Premium Checking review
M&T Bank’s interest-bearing MyChoice Premium Checking account offers premium benefits for maintaining a high balance.
M&T Bank EZChoice Checking review
Go back to basics with M&T Bank’s EZChoice Checking account, available in nine states.
M&T Bank MyChoice Plus Checking review
M&T Bank’s MyChoice Plus Checking account offers ATM fee reimbursements.