Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Back to school sales
Save on supplies for the best return on your educational investment.
Getting your children ready for another school year should be pain-free — for you and your wallet. With our help, find the back to school sales happening online and in-store that will save you a bundle.
From school shoes to stationery, find what you need and stretch your dollars at the same time.
Back to school sales
Popular US Back To School Deals coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|26 Jun 2019||Back to School Guide||********|
|26 Jun 2019||Students save an additional 10% on $999 SP4 i5 SP4 i5 256 bundle||********|
|6 Mar 2019||Back-to-school bags and totes now $39.95||********|
|26 Jun 2019||10% student discount||********|
What to buy online at back to school sales
Kids are going to need a sturdy pair of shoes for everyday wear and generally will also need a pair of sneakers for gym class and sports. Find sales on kids’ shoes here.
School supplies like notebooks, pencils and calculators are as essential as the ABCs. Find deals on school stationery.
What to buy by age
Preschoolers thrive on creativity and color. Equip them with a colorful backpack and colored pencils to help encourage play.
Moana Single Zipper Pencil Case
From comfy footwear and backpacks to workbooks and writing pencils, elementary school children need functional, durable equipment.
Petite Point Gel Pen Set
Here are some cool and functional back-to-school necessities that won’t embarrass them… much.
The latest tech is what they need most. Buy a new laptop, phone and a trendy bag to house it all in.
Surface Laptop - 128GB
Office 365 Home
HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer
Where to shop online back to school sales
These shops usually hold back-to-school sales and offer basically everything you need to get your kids ready for the new school year.
Top tips for back to school shopping
Get organized for the back-to-school shopping rush with these simple tips:
- Know your budget. Allocate a specific amount for school supplies, and stick to it.
- Make a list of everything you need. Teachers usually provide a list, making it easy to check off as you shop.
- Find reusable items from last year’s school supplies. Make use of last-year gear so you don’t buy more than you need.
- Buy in bulk. Packs of basic school supplies might be available for less.
- Compare prices. Check different merchants and take note of deals.
- Shop for quality supplies. Consider quality as well as price — if an item’s higher-quality, it may last longer and provide a better value than the cheaper option.
How to come up with a back to school budget
The back-to-school season usually comes with lots of expenses. If you’re on a tight budget, it may be a good idea to follow the 50/20/30 rule. Basically, it works like this:
- 50 percent of your income should go to essentials such as housing, groceries and utilities.
- 20 percent should be allocated for retirement accounts, university funds, emergency savings and debt payments.
- 30 percent can be spent on non-essential items and one-off expenses. Your back-to-school budget should fall under this percentage.
It can be helpful to come up with a specific amount you can spend for back-to-school supplies. Your kids can help decide which items are must-haves and which they can do without.
Below are other tips that can help you stick to your budget this coming school year:
- Compromise on nonessentials. Let your child pick out a few cool things, but let them know that they have to spend less on another item to meet the budget.
- Use your creativity. Who said you need to buy everything brand new? Create new notebooks from the unused pages of old notebooks. You can also swap goods with another parent.
- Watch out for sales. While many retailers charge full price during back-to-school time, some do offer sales. And check for promo codes for your favorite stores.
- Compare prices. Check several stores for big-ticket items like electronics.
More guides on finder
CDC says Black Friday lines are out, but online sales are already on
Forget chasing crowds after the big meal. This year, you can shop holiday discounts before you’ve even gobbled down the last piece of Halloween candy.
Amazon Prime Day camera deals 2020
Save on your next camera purchase with one of these hot Amazon Prime Day camera deals, available for two days only.
What to expect from Target’s Deal Days sale
Save big on Target products with the upcoming Deal Days sale, featuring discounts on everything from electronics to hot tubs to rival Amazon Prime Day.
How to maximize your savings for Black Friday 2020
Black Friday deals will look different this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, but there are still plenty of ways to save. See our top tips for holiday savings.
Small Business Saturday: How, where and why to shop
See how to support local businesses on Small Business Saturday this year, even if you prefer to shop online. Yes — even on Amazon.
There’s a huge sale going on at Tarte right now – here’s what to know
In honor of Tarte’s 20th anniversary, shop up to 50% off products, including bronzers, eyeshadow palettes and glowy highlighters.
How do Ulta rewards work?
Calling all beauty lovers! Earn points on purchases online or in stores to spell savings and exclusive discounts throughout the year.
Travel Tuesday deals for 2020
Save big on flights, hotels and more — the day after Cyber Monday.
How to plan a road trip during coronavirus
Best tips for planning a road trip and saving money along the way.
Lululemon Boxing Day sales 2020
Score savings on the season’s hottest athleisure trends with the Boxing Day sales from Lululemon.
Ask an Expert