Students and parents save up to 10%
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Back to school sales
Save on supplies for the best return on your educational investment.
Getting your children ready for another school year should be pain-free — for you and your wallet. With our help, find the back to school sales happening online and in-store that will save you a bundle.
From school shoes to stationery, find what you need and stretch your dollars at the same time.
Back to school sales
What to buy online at back to school sales
Kids are going to need a sturdy pair of shoes for everyday wear and generally will also need a pair of sneakers for gym class and sports. Find sales on kids’ shoes here.
School supplies like notebooks, pencils and calculators are as essential as the ABCs. Find deals on school stationery.
What to buy by age
Preschoolers thrive on creativity and color. Equip them with a colorful backpack and colored pencils to help encourage play.
Moana Single Zipper Pencil Case
From comfy footwear and backpacks to workbooks and writing pencils, elementary school children need functional, durable equipment.
Petite Point Gel Pen Set
Here are some cool and functional back-to-school necessities that won’t embarrass them… much.
The latest tech is what they need most. Buy a new laptop, phone and a trendy bag to house it all in.
Surface Laptop - 128GB
Office 365 Home
HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer
Where to shop online back to school sales
These shops usually hold back-to-school sales and offer basically everything you need to get your kids ready for the new school year.
Top tips for back to school shopping
Get organized for the back-to-school shopping rush with these simple tips:
- Know your budget. Allocate a specific amount for school supplies, and stick to it.
- Make a list of everything you need. Teachers usually provide a list, making it easy to check off as you shop.
- Find reusable items from last year’s school supplies. Make use of last-year gear so you don’t buy more than you need.
- Buy in bulk. Packs of basic school supplies might be available for less.
- Compare prices. Check different merchants and take note of deals.
- Shop for quality supplies. Consider quality as well as price — if an item’s higher-quality, it may last longer and provide a better value than the cheaper option.
How to come up with a back to school budget
The back-to-school season usually comes with lots of expenses. If you’re on a tight budget, it may be a good idea to follow the 50/20/30 rule. Basically, it works like this:
- 50 percent of your income should go to essentials such as housing, groceries and utilities.
- 20 percent should be allocated for retirement accounts, university funds, emergency savings and debt payments.
- 30 percent can be spent on non-essential items and one-off expenses. Your back-to-school budget should fall under this percentage.
It can be helpful to come up with a specific amount you can spend for back-to-school supplies. Your kids can help decide which items are must-haves and which they can do without.
Below are other tips that can help you stick to your budget this coming school year:
- Compromise on nonessentials. Let your child pick out a few cool things, but let them know that they have to spend less on another item to meet the budget.
- Use your creativity. Who said you need to buy everything brand new? Create new notebooks from the unused pages of old notebooks. You can also swap goods with another parent.
- Watch out for sales. While many retailers charge full price during back-to-school time, some do offer sales. And check for promo codes for your favorite stores.
- Compare prices. Check several stores for big-ticket items like electronics.
More guides on Finder
5 must-read VA home loan tips from the experts
Find insight on VA home loans from experts. Learn what to do if you are denied and the data behind VA loan denials.
Veteran-owned businesses and startups
Shop durable backpacks, wholesome dog treats, military-grade flip flops, gourmet coffee and more while supporting our retired troops.
Gifts that give back in 2021
Your gift list can go the extra mile this year with these hot-ticket items that give back to charitable causes.
What influences a property’s value?
From supply and demand through to location, facilities and planned infrastructure projects, there are plenty of factors that can influence property value.
9 best slip dresses of the season
Find the perfect slip dress for your style and budget, whether you’re looking for something casual or a formal look to dress up.
13 of the best shoes for nurses
Shop some of the best nursing shoes to help you stay on your feet in comfort and style. We share our picks and tips and advice from nurses.
Top 10+ flare pants styles
Your wardrobe this season won’t be complete until you own a pair of flared pants. We’ve rounded up top picks, whether you favor trousers, leggings or denim.
CVS Epic Beauty sale
Time to act fast – CVS is hosting a beauty sale and you can save big on everything from skincare to makeup products.
Mercari review: How it works, pros, cons and more
Is Mercari the best secondhand app to buy or sell your goods? See Mercari pros and cons, reviews and complaints and general FAQs to decide.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
Ask an Expert