Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Back to school sales
Save on supplies for the best return on your educational investment.
Getting your children ready for another school year should be pain-free — for you and your wallet. With our help, find the back to school sales happening online and in-store that will save you a bundle.
From school shoes to stationery, find what you need and stretch your dollars at the same time.
Back to school sales
What to buy online at back to school sales
Kids are going to need a sturdy pair of shoes for everyday wear and generally will also need a pair of sneakers for gym class and sports. Find sales on kids’ shoes here.
School supplies like notebooks, pencils and calculators are as essential as the ABCs. Find deals on school stationery.
What to buy by age
Preschoolers thrive on creativity and color. Equip them with a colorful backpack and colored pencils to help encourage play.
Moana Single Zipper Pencil Case
From comfy footwear and backpacks to workbooks and writing pencils, elementary school children need functional, durable equipment.
Petite Point Gel Pen Set
Here are some cool and functional back-to-school necessities that won’t embarrass them… much.
The latest tech is what they need most. Buy a new laptop, phone and a trendy bag to house it all in.
Surface Laptop - 128GB
Office 365 Home
HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer
Where to shop online back to school sales
These shops usually hold back-to-school sales and offer basically everything you need to get your kids ready for the new school year.
Top tips for back to school shopping
Get organized for the back-to-school shopping rush with these simple tips:
- Know your budget. Allocate a specific amount for school supplies, and stick to it.
- Make a list of everything you need. Teachers usually provide a list, making it easy to check off as you shop.
- Find reusable items from last year’s school supplies. Make use of last-year gear so you don’t buy more than you need.
- Buy in bulk. Packs of basic school supplies might be available for less.
- Compare prices. Check different merchants and take note of deals.
- Shop for quality supplies. Consider quality as well as price — if an item’s higher-quality, it may last longer and provide a better value than the cheaper option.
How to come up with a back to school budget
The back-to-school season usually comes with lots of expenses. If you’re on a tight budget, it may be a good idea to follow the 50/20/30 rule. Basically, it works like this:
- 50 percent of your income should go to essentials such as housing, groceries and utilities.
- 20 percent should be allocated for retirement accounts, university funds, emergency savings and debt payments.
- 30 percent can be spent on non-essential items and one-off expenses. Your back-to-school budget should fall under this percentage.
It can be helpful to come up with a specific amount you can spend for back-to-school supplies. Your kids can help decide which items are must-haves and which they can do without.
Below are other tips that can help you stick to your budget this coming school year:
- Compromise on nonessentials. Let your child pick out a few cool things, but let them know that they have to spend less on another item to meet the budget.
- Use your creativity. Who said you need to buy everything brand new? Create new notebooks from the unused pages of old notebooks. You can also swap goods with another parent.
- Watch out for sales. While many retailers charge full price during back-to-school time, some do offer sales. And check for promo codes for your favorite stores.
- Compare prices. Check several stores for big-ticket items like electronics.
More guides on Finder
CVS Epic Beauty sale
Time to act fast – CVS is hosting a beauty sale and you can save big on everything from skincare to makeup products.
Get up to 90% off popular brands through ThredUp, a secondhand clothing website. Here’s what you need to know before you start shopping.
Mercari review: How it works, pros, cons and more
Is Mercari the best secondhand app to buy or sell your goods? See Mercari pros and cons, reviews and complaints and general FAQs to decide.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
What to expect from the Target 14 Days of Beauty sale
Get all the details on Target’s 14 Days of Beauty sale. And find some hacks on how to stretch your dollar and stack the savings.
Best student credit cards
Our top picks for cards across 7 student categories, including international students, first-time cardholders and cashback.
Clothes shopping on a budget-tips for 2021
11 experts lend their prowess to help you dress your best in 2021 with tips and tricks as simple as your budget, but as swanky as your style.
These IPOs will be hot in 2021
Private-equity companies have about $1.6 trillion of uninvested capital to put into merger and acquisition activity. This bodes well for 2021’s IPO market.
Best store credit cards of 2021
Here are our picks for the best store cards of the year.
How do Office Depot and Office Max rewards work?
Get 2% back in rewards when you shop for office supplies.
Ask an Expert