Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account review
Earn up to 0.81% APY and manage your business' funds online.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
With Axos Bank’s Business Interest account, you can earn up to 0.81% APY — a competitive rate for a business checking product. But you’ll pay a $10 maintenance fee with a balance less than $5,000 and you’ll only earn the highest APY if you keep $49,999 or less in your account.
$10 per month
Up to 0.81%
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||0.81% on balances of $0 to $49,999.99 |
0.20% on balances of $50,000 to $249,999.99
0.10% on balances of $250,000 to $4,999,999.99
|Fee||$10 per month|
|To waive the fee||Maintain a $5,000 minimum average daily balance|
|Minimum deposit to open||$100|
|Intro or bonus offer||Input the code NEWBIZ100 and you will receive $100 when you open an account and maintain an average daily balance of at least $2,500 for the first two months.|
|ATMs||ATM fees reimbursed at any ATM nationwide|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$25|
Amy Stoltenberg is a staff writer covering all things travel, shopping and lifestyle. After earning a BA at Savannah College of Art and Design, she worked as technical designer in corporate fashion before opting for a career with unlimited travel time. When her laptop's closed, you can find her wandering around Los Angeles looking for hole-in-the-wall eateries and plotting her way to all 50 states (she's currently at 28).
Axos Bank’s Business Interest Checking account is best for businesses looking to earn a competitive rate. You can earn up to 0.81% APY, and the account offers unlimited ATM fee reimbursements. It’s also compatible with Quickbooks and has a limit of 60 remote deposits a month.
But to avoid the $10 monthly maintenance fee you’ll need to keep a minimum of $5,000 in the account. And the rates on the account are tiered. So you’ll need to keep $49,999 or less in your account to earn the highest APY. Otherwise, you could earn as low as 0.1% APY on your balance.
How do I open an Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account?
If you think Axos’s Business Interest Checking account matches your business’s needs, here’s how to sign up:
- Click Apply now.
- From the Axos website, click Business in the top right.
- Hover over Small Business Banking and select Business Interest Checking.
- Choose Open an Account.
- Enter your personal information, including your first and last name, email and phone number and click Start My Application.
- On the official application page, follow the prompts to fill out the required information in these eight sections:
- Account type
- Applicant info
- Account funding
- Review Info
- After you submit the application for the Business Interest Checking account, Axos Bank will be in touch with next steps.
You’ll need more than a few documents to open a Business Interest Checking account. Keep the following nearby:
- Copies of all owner’s driving licenses
- Owner’s Social Security numbers
- Funding information for your new account, such as account number from another bank
- You must be a US-based entity to qualify.
The other documentation you’ll need varies by business type:
|Business Type||Required documents|
|Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)|
|Limited Partnership (LP)or Limited Liability Partnership (LLC)|
|For profit corporation|
What are the benefits of the Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account
The Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account comes with standard features like 24/7 remote deposit capabilities and automatic bill pay, either online or through the app. But here’s where it really shines:
- Earns interest. Expect a competitive return of up to 0.81% APY, but only on balances below $49,999.99. For balances between $50,000 and $250,000, you’ll earn 0.2% APY. And for balances greater than $250,000, you’ll earn 0.1% APY.
- Unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements. Withdraw cash without worrying about fees.
- First set of 50 checks is free. Complimentary checks are a nice perk, at least for the first round.
- Compatible with Quickbooks. Connect your accounts for budget planning and management.
What should I look out for?
The Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account has these drawbacks to consider:
- Minimum balance requirements. You’ll need to keep an average of $5,000 in the account to waive the $10 monthly maintenance fee. While this is typical for most business accounts, it’s something you’ll need to keep an eye on.
- Transaction limits. You’re allowed up to 50 free transactions each month and can expect to pay $0.50 per transaction thereafter.
- Limited in-person assistance. It only has six branch locations nationwide — all located in the southwest — so you’ll need to rely on online support if you can’t stop in.
- Cash deposits are inconvenient. If you need to deposit cash, you’ll have to send a wire transfer.
- Tiered interest rate. To earn the highest APY, you’ll need to keep $49,999 or less. Otherwise, you could earn as low as 0.10% APY depending on your balance.
If you want a checking account with a lower minimum requirement, you’ll want to keep looking. As always compare your options when choosing a business checking account.
Axos Bank’s ATM network and fees
Axos doesn’t have any in-network ATMs. Instead, it reimburses 100% of domestic ATM fees you incur while using your Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account debit card.
Compare with other business checking accounts
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do I deposit or withdraw money from my Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account?
Here’s how to manage the flow of funds coming in and out of your Axos Bank Business Interest Checking account:
- Wire transaction. Send funds from a transferring institution, bank or broker.
- Mail a check. Mail your check to:
PO Box 509127
San Diego, CA
- Mobile app. Use Remote Deposit Anywhere to deposit a check by taking a picture with your smartphone. Note that you’re only allowed to do this 60 times per month.
- Electronic transfer. Send money directly from another financial institution into your Axos account.
- ATMs nationwide. All domestic ATM fees are automatically reimbursed.
- Checks. You get 50 checks for free when you open an account, then can renew your order through Harland Clarke.
What other checking options does Axos Bank offer for businesses?
Axos Bank’s Business Interest Checking account earns a high APY, but the stipulations and fees might prove too much for some. Alternatives include:
- Basic business checking. Designed especially for small businesses, this one’s free to maintain and doesn’t require a minimum balance, but you need to deposit $1,000 to get started.
- Analyzed business checking. Get an ECR — or Earnings Credit Rate — instead of an APY. There’s a $15 monthly maintenance fee that you can’t waive. Requires an initial deposit of $100.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.