Walmart MoneyCard prepaid debit card review
Earn cashback on your Walmart shopping, but look out for high ATM fees
If you regularly shop at Walmart, you can earn cashback rewards on your purchases with the Walmart MoneyCard. But that incentive may not be enough to offset the card’s high ATM and in-store reloading fees.
Monthly maintenance fee
Heather Petty is a writer at Finder specializing in banking, investments and insurance. She's a self-proclaimed word nerd who worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. Heather earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
The Walmart MoneyCard prepaid debit card is best for Walmart regulars who can earn cashback rewards on the shopping they already do. You can create short-term savings goals and add your family to the account.
But you’ll want to reconsider if you have a history of missing monthly maintenance payments. To earn rewards, your account must remain in good standing by paying the fee. To avoid it, you’ll need to deposit at least $1,000 every month to your account.
In addition to a mobile app that comes with personal financial management tools, Walmart MoneyCard offers the following benefits:
- Family account. You can have up to four family accounts, and the main account holder can set controls, such as spending limits.
- Early access to your paycheck. If you sign up for direct deposit, you’ll have access to your paycheck up to two days early and your federal benefits up to four days early.
- Short-term savings. Use the MoneyCard Vault savings feature to set aside money for short-term goals.
While the card has its perks, it’s not without its disadvantages:
- Monthly deposits to avoid fees. You’ll need to deposit $1,000 a month into your account to waive the $5 monthly fee.
- Rewards depend on good standing. For cashback rewards, you must remain in good standing for 12 months by paying your monthly fees or maintaining a positive balance to avoid it.
- High reloading fees. Pay a $3 to $5.95 fee for reloading your card. You can avoid the fee by adding money to your account through the mobile app.
- High fees on ATM transactions. You’ll pay $2.50 to withdraw cash at an ATM and $0.50 for a balance inquiry in addition to any ATM operator fees you may incur.
- Low customer ratings. Green Dot Corporation, the MoneyCard issuer, has an A- rating at the Better Business Bureau, but a 1 out of 5-star rating with complaints of frozen accounts during disputes and unauthorized charges.
If you want a prepaid card with no ATM fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when considering a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid/debit cards
How do I get the Walmart MoneyCard prepaid debit card?
You can purchase a prepaid starter card from Walmart and follow the directions to register for an account and permanent card, or you can sign up online. Sign up online in five simple steps:
- From the Walmart MoneyCard home page, click Sign Up Now.
- Select whether you want a Visa or Mastercard, enter your personal information and click to accept the account policies. Click Continue.
- Review the fee schedule and click Get My Card.
- Verify your mobile number with the security code texted to you. Click Submit.
- Follow the directions to create your pin and link an account to fund your card.
EligibilityWalmart MoneyCard prepaid debit cards aren’t available in Vermont, but for all other states, you must meet the following requirements to have a Walmart MoneyCard account:
- At least 18 years old (or 19, depending on the state where you live)
- At least 13 years old to join a family account
- US citizen or resident
- Valid Social Security number
Have the following information on hand before you register your account:
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Email address
Use the following methods to fund your prepaid card:
- Mobile check deposit
- Direct deposit
- Cash or debit deposit at Walmart Money Centers
- Linked bank account transfer
- Paper check cashed at Walmart and deposited to the card
How long will it take to get my card?
You can pick up a temporary Walmart MoneyCard from Walmart for $1 and start using it that same day. If you apply online for the card, you should receive it within seven to 10 days.
I got the card. Now what?
Once you’ve loaded your funds, take advantage of the following:
- Avoid fees. Deposit at least $1,000 into your account every month to avoid the monthly fee and use Walmart Money Centers to withdraw money instead of using an ATM.
- Shop at Walmart for rewards. Earn up to $75 annually with 3% cashback from Walmart online purchases, 2% at Walmart gas stations and 1% on in-store purchases.
- Set up direct deposit. Enroll in direct deposit from your work and for federal refunds and benefits, and access your money two days earlier than usual.
- Get help when you need it. Contact customer support 24/7 by phone or through the mobile app’s live chat function.