Veterans United and Navy Federal are both popular VA lenders. But when it comes to rates and customer satisfaction, we think Veterans United comes out ahead.
Our verdict: Veterans United wins
Veterans United and Navy Federal are lenders that specialize in VA loans. With a VA loan, you don’t need a down payment and you’re not required to pay private mortgage insurance (PMI). Instead, you pay a one-time VA funding fee of 2.3%, which can be rolled into your loan.
As with any loan, you want to choose the right lender for your needs. We think Veterans United tops its competitor on these important factors, including:
- Interest rates. Veterans United advertised rates are lower than Navy Federal’s. While a fraction of percent might not seem like much, it could save you big bucks over the long haul.
- Customer ratings. As of Feburary 2022, Veterans United earns a 4.9 out 5 star rating on Trustpilot from 8,307 customers. Navy Federal also gets a good but slightly lower rating of 4.7 out of 5 from 7,862 reviewers.
- Alternative criteria. Veterans United looks at each borrower’s credit and documentation on a case-by-case basis. It may allow nontraditional sources, such as your rent history and utility bills, to support your credit score.
And there’s also the issue of reputation. Veterans United has a positive 4.82 out 5 customer rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website, with only 106 complaints closed in the last three years— a notable achievement for a financial institution.
Meanwhile, Navy Federal has closed over 900 BBB complaints in the past three years across multiple financial products — not only mortgages. Unlike Veterans United, Navy Federal isn’t accredited with the BBB.
How do Veterans United and Navy Federal Credit Union compare?
- Consider Veterans United if you want a top-rated VA lender.
- Choose another lender if you want a home equity loan or HELOC.
- Choose this lender for 0% down and no PMI loan options, beyond VA or USDA loans.
- Be wary of a slow approval process.
Neither of these seems the right fit?
- Focus on veterans
- Suite of mortgage options
- Streamlined application
- 24/7 customer service
- For those ineligible for VA or USDA loans, additional 0% down, no PMI options available
- Special benefits for qualifying military service members
- Fewer fees on select mortgages than other companies
- No equity or specialty mortgage products
- Little info on non-VA loans
- Limited branch locations
- Requires NFCU membership
- Online complaints relate a long approval process and poor support
As of February 2022, Veterans United has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for closing 89 customer complaints in the last three years. VU also rates 4.82 out of 5 stars with 1,877 BBB reviews.
There are 8,307 reviews on TrustPilot, where Veterans United has 4.9 stars out of 5. Reviews praised Veterans United for creating an easy experience for clients to reach their goals.
Member reviews for Navy Federal Credit Union on Trustpilot are overwhelmingly positive. Reviewers there have rated the credit union 4.7 out of 5 stars based on 7,862 reviews as of February 2022. Most customers commend the credit union for its empathetic, respectful and first-class customer service. Others say they received loans through Navy Federal that they wouldn’t have been approved for elsewhere.
Over on the Better Business Bureau (BBB), it’s a bit of a different story. Navy Federal Credit Union isn’t accredited, and it’s rated 1.29 out of 5 stars based on 129 reviews. In the last three years, the credit union closed 921 complaints. Negative reviews range from complaints about being denied for personal loans to closing credit cards without notice to long approval processes.
All things considered, Navy Federal Credit Union comes out near the top when compared to other lenders. Its customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive, which is more than you can say about some other lenders on the market.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.