Mercedes-Benz A-Class insurance group & cost
Find out how much it'll cost you to insure your Mercedes A-Class, and how to keep your premiums down.
Updated . What changed?
What's in this guide?
The Mercedes-Benz A-Class is a sleek and sophisticated vehicle, sometimes affectionately referred to as the ‘Baby Benz’. First manufactured in 1997, this car model is now in its fourth generation, which was debuted this year, and is incredibly popular on the UK roads, with almost 44,000 of them sold last year.
Keep reading to find out more about Mercedes-Benz car insurance costs and how you could save on your premiums.
Mercedes A-Class insurance cost by driver’s age
Average Mercedes A-Class insurance cost
To provide you with an idea of how much it could cost you to insure your Mercedes A-Class, we ran a number of quotes to find an average figure. Our results estimated that, on average, you could insure your Mercedes A-Class with a comprehensive policy for monthly payments of £63.66, or an annual payment of £681.44.
Which factors affect my Mercedes A-Class insurance cost?
Unfortunately, whilst it is always important to be honest about your information with your insurance provider, there is a multitude of things that could affect the price of your premium, some of which include lifestyle factors. We have listed some of the factors below for you:
- Your age, marital status, job and where you live
- The model and age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating, security and any anti-theft precautions
- Annual mileage
- Your driving history and activity
- The size of your car’s engine
- No claims discount
How can I save on my Mercedes A-Class premiums?
When it comes to insuring your car, naturally you want to find the best deal at a price that’s affordable for you. To keep your premiums at a cost that won’t leave you completely out of pocket, we’ve compiled a list of advice that might help you to keep your premiums low.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. It may seem daunting to pay the larger sum in one go, but by paying annually rather than monthly, you can actually save yourself an average of £82.48 a year.
- Be economical about your car usage. Travelling by public transport or walking to the shops can help you to lower your premiums by lowering your car usage.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Most people just accept their renewal price – but you shouldn’t. The quote you’re given isn’t always the best option out there, so when it’s time for renewal make sure you shop around.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer your vehicle is, the lower your premium is likely to be. Insurance companies don’t like insuring risks, so by investing in a few extra safety precautions, you could save yourself some money on your premiums.
- Avoid driving convictions. This one may sound like good advice in general, but when it comes to your premiums, having a conviction will hike up the price, and so they are best to avoid.
- Be a secure investment. Keeping your credit rating good and maintaining a clean history of no claims will help to present you as a secure investment to insurers, and they will be more likely to reward you with lower premiums.
Mercedes A-Class facts
- This car is currently considered the 9th most popular car in the UK.
- In 2016, the Mercedes A-Class was recognised as bringing in a lot of new customers, as research found that 70% of A-Class drivers had not previously owned a Mercedes-Benz.
- In the fourth generation model, you can go 0-60mph in 10.2 seconds.
How safe is Mercedes A-Class?
When tested by Euro NCAP in 2017, the Mercedes A-Class was awarded a 5/5 rating for safety. It was given an excellent score of 93% for adult occupant safety, and scored an impressive 86% for safety assist due to its standard safety features.
As mentioned earlier on, the safer your car is, the less of a risk it is for companies to insure. The Mercedes A-Class could be a great investment for lower premiums due to its safety features. As standard, it comes with basic features such as a Seat Belt reminder, as well as ESC, or electronic stability control, to help keep your car gripped to the road. It has speed assistance to help make sure you travel at the legal speed limit, lane-keeping assist to stop you drifting, and a reversing camera to prevent any accidental bumps.
More impressively, the Mercedes A-Class comes with Active Brake Assist, which warns you if the distance in front of your car is insufficient, and can audioably alert you if it detects a collision. In addition, it can brake for you or increase your braking in the event of an emergency, helping you come to a quicker stop.
There are a selection of extra safety measures that are optional to the Mercedes A-Class, such as front and rear parking sensors, that you may wish to consider.
If you’re the owner of an A-Class, you’ll no doubt want to keep your premiums down.
With the lowest insurance group for an A-Class model starting at 17, don’t take the easy option of auto-renewing your car insurance. Chances are, you’ll pay over the odds. Do a little research and compare deals to find the right cover for you at a price that you’re happy with.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Life insurance without a medical
Contrary to popular belief, you can get life insurance without a health check from your doctor. Find out what’s involved.
Life insurance when pregnant
Are you pregnant and looking for life insurance? Use our comprehensive guide to see what you need to apply for life insurance and get quotes online today.
Car insurance group 47
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 47 and the average cost of insurance.
Car insurance group 48
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 48 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 50
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 50 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 49
Find out which cars are in insurance group 49 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 46
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 46 and how much it costs to insure them.
Car insurance group 41
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 41 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 43
Find out the cars listed in insurance group 43 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 44
Find out what cars are in insurance group 44 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Ask an Expert