More Than home insurance

More Than home insurance review

We've highlighted the cover options of More Than's home insurance to help you decide if you'll get a good deal.

4.0 ★★★★★ (110 reviews) Write a review

More Than has several options when it comes to home insurance. Its standard buildings and contents insurance are standalone policies but you can combine these if needed. The insurer says there are also upgraded versions of these, which are 5-star Moneyfacts-rated, with up to £1 million buildings cover and up to £100,000 contents cover.

Plus, existing More Than customers could receive discounts for taking out additional insurance policies that protect other investments. Here’s what else we think you should know.

More Than Home Insurance

More Than home insurance

  • Upgraded buildings and contents insurance is 5-star Moneyfacts-rated
  • Claims can be made online
  • Choose from six cover options
  • Upgrade your policy with optional extras that suit your needs

What is More Than?

More Than was launched in 2001 and provides a range of insurance products, including home, landlord, car, van, pet, caravan and travel insurance.

More Than is a trading name of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

What are More Than’s cover options?

More Than offers six cover options:

  • Primary buildings insurance
  • Upgraded buildings insurance
  • Primary home insurance (Primary buildings and Primary contents insurance combined)
  • Primary contents insurance
  • Upgraded contents insurance
  • Upgraded home insurance (Upgraded buildings and Upgraded contents insurance combined)

What does my policy cover?

More Than’s home insurance policies offer cover and protection for your home against the following risks:

  • Storm and flood damage (excluding fences, hedges or gates)
  • Fire, lightning, explosion damage
  • Vandalism, theft or attempted theft
  • Escape of water or oil damage
  • Subsidence, heave or landslide damage
  • Falling trees, branches damage
  • TV and satellite aerials damage
  • Collisions involving vehicles, animals or aircraft damage

But More Than’s home insurance policies also include extra benefits as standard. Check out the features of More Than’s two buildings insurance options and its two contents insurance options below.

Cover benefitsPrimary buildings insuranceUpgraded buildings insurance
Buildings sum insuredUp to £1 millionUp to £1 million
Alternative accommodationUp to £30,000Up to £100,000
Owner’s liabilityUp to £1 millionUp to £1 million
Emergency services damage to buildingsUp to £5,000Up to £5,000
Emergency services damage to gardensUp to £1,000Up to £1,000
Locks and key coverUp to £1,000Up to £1,000
Trace and access coverUp to £5,000

For a full list of benefits, check out More Than’s home insurance policy document.

Cover benefitsPrimary buildings insuranceUpgraded buildings insurance
Contents sum insuredUp to £100,000Up to £100,000 (increased by 10% before and after Christmas and other religious festivals or special occasions)
New for old cover
High risk itemsup to £7,500up to £7,500
Business equipmentup to £7,500up to £7,500
Alternative accommodationup to £15,000up to £15,000
Visitors possessionsup to £2,500up to £2,500
Moneyup to £500up to £500
Credit cardsup to £500up to £500
Personal and occupiers liabilityup to £1 millionup to £1 million
Employers liabilityup to £10 millionup to £10 million
Theft from outbuildingsup to £3,000up to £3,000
Deeds and documentsup to £2,500up to £2,500
Data downloadsup to £2,500up to £2,500
Professional home removals✓/td>
Freezer foodup to £500up to £500
Locks and key coverup to £1,000up to £1,000
Contents in gardenup to £2,000
Temporarily moved contents including student coverup to £11,250
Trees, plants, hedges and shrubsup to £2,000 (increased by 10% before and after Christmas and other religious festivals or special occasions)
Accidental loss of metered water and oilup to £2,000
Tenant’s liabilityup to £15,000
Tenants improvement cover

For a full list of benefits, check out More Than’s home insurance policy document.

You can combine the Primary buildings and Primary contents cover for complete Primary buildings and contents insurance. You can also combine the Upgraded buildings and Upgraded contents cover for Upgraded Buildings and Contents insurance.

Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.

Optional extras

More Than offers a range of additional protection to bolt onto your specific home insurance policy, including the following:

  • Accidental damage cover on building insurance. This will cover accidental damage to drains, pipes, windows, baths and toilets etc.
  • Accidental damage cover on contents insurance. This will cover for accidental damage to carpets, furniture, TVs and computer equipment.
  • Personal possessions cover outside of the home. Cover for items such as mobile phones or jewellery (worth less than £1,000).
  • Family bikes cover. Cover up to £1,500 per bicycle.
  • Personal money cover outside of the home. Cover losses up to £500 for stolen cash or credit cards.
  • Legal services cover. Gain access to online legal document templates, complete and submit them for review by a legal representative.

What is my excess?

Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your van and your driving experience.

You can also decide to pay a voluntary excess when taking out a policy to lower your premium. This voluntary excess is on top of the excess amount set by the insurance company.

For all accidental damage claims to More Than, you will need to pay the first £250.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.

More Than pros and cons


  • More Than’s upgraded buildings and contents insurance is 5-star Moneyfacts-rated
  • More Than’s different cover options suit different requirements
  • Claims can be made online
  • More Than’s home insurance policies can be enhanced with extra protection


  • Accidental cover is not included as standard
  • You will have to pay an admin fee if you decide to amend your policy
  • Claims line is not open 24/7

How much is this going to cost me?

There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your More Than home insurance premium, including the following:

  • The cover option you choose. The upgraded buildings, contents and combined cover policies offer more features and broader cover than More Than’s Primary cover options, which will likely be reflected in the price.
  • Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
  • Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
  • Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example storm and theft, are more prevalent in certain areas, and insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premiums.
  • Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.

What is the claims process for More Than?

You should call the More Than claims line on 0330 100 7783. Their claims line is open Mondays to Fridays from 8am to 8pm and on Saturdays from 9am to 5pm.

Alternatively, you can make a claim by completing the online claims form on the More Than website.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Your policy details and personal contact details
  • The date of the incident
  • Details such as the cause of the incident
  • The value of any lost or damaged items being claimed for
  • Names and addresses of any other people involved or responsible for the incident, including details of injuries

You may also need to provide the following additional information:

  • Original purchase receipts, invoices, manual booklets or photographs, bank statements, utility bills, plans or deeds of your property
  • Purchase dates and location of lost or damaged property
  • Confirmation from a suitably qualified expert that the damaged property you intend to claim for is beyond repair

It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.

Home insurance ratings

★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor

Our customer satisfaction scores ("Customers say") are based on a survey of 1,448 customers carried out in December 2021.

Learn the details of our methodology and scoring.

The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.

More guides on Finder

Go to site