People’s Choice car insurance review
Our analysis of the car insurance on offer through People's Choice will help you decide if it's the right fit for you.
Are you searching for the right car insurance at a discount price? You’ll find all the usual levels of car cover through People’s Choice. And this broker, which has been given a 5-star Defaqto rating for its car insurance, promises to find you comprehensive cover at a great price. But what exactly does it offer?
Who is People’s Choice?
People’s Choice is an insurance broker that works with a panel of insurance providers to offer car, van, motorbike and home insurance.
People’s Choice is in the Hastings Insurance Group, along with Hastings Premier, Hastings Direct, Hastings Essential and Insure Pink.
What are People’s Choice’s levels of cover?
People’s Choice Third Party Cover
Third party cover is the minimum level of cover that is offered by People’s Choice. All drivers in the UK are legally required to have at least this level of car insurance. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to third party vehicles or property. Though it won’t cover any damage to your own car.
People’s Choice Third Party Fire and Theft Cover
You’ll get the same level of cover as third party but this will also provide protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
People’s Choice Comprehensive Cover
This is the highest level of cover on offer and will give the same protection as the other levels as well as insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It’s always worth getting a quote for comprehensive as in some cases, it can be cheaper than lower levels of cover due to the risk profile of customers who choose them.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people||✓||✓||✓|
|90-day European cover to match cover level in UK||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||✓||✓|
|Personal accident cover||✓|
|Personal belongings cover||✓|
In addition to the standard levels of cover, People’s Choice can also provide a range of additional protection to bolt onto your policy, including:
- Breakdown cover
- Legal expenses cover
- Personal accident cover
- Courtesy car cover
- Key cover
- Motor excess protector
Any cover arranged through People’s Choice is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You are paid to carry passengers.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through People’s Choice
- Having a secure location to park your car. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Mileage reduction. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Larger excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for People Choice?
You should call the People’s Choice claims line on 0333 321 9800 to register a claim. This is a 24-hour claim line open seven days a week. You’ll need to provide the following when making a claim:
- Date, time and location of incident
- Names and contact details of all parties involved
- Vehicle registration numbers of all vehicles involved
- Details of loss such as fire, theft, accident
- Photographic evidence, if available can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Kia Rio insurance group and costs Find out the insurance group for your Kia Rio, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.
Skoda Citigo insurance group and cost Find out the insurance group for your Skoda Citigo, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premium.
Admiral car insurance review Looking to protect yourself behind the wheel? Compare and review Admiral car insurance and see if it provides cover that suits you.
How we score car insurance How we rate car insurance and find our top picks. Our detailed methodology for policy analysis and customer satisfaction.
Allianz Assistance breakdown cover Compare and review Allianz Assistance breakdown covers and see if it's got the right policy to protect you behind the wheel.
Mazda 2 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mazda 2 and some top tips on how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Hyundai i10 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Hyundai i10 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Kia Picanto insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Kia Picanto and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
SEAT Leon insurance group and cost Find out how much it may cost you to insure a SEAT Leon based on your age and location and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Citroen C3 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Citroen C3 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Ask an Expert