Find out more about Sky broadband with our useful guide.
What is Sky Broadband?
Sky is known best for its market leading Sports and Entertainment broadcasting, but it also offers broadband packages, and is the second largest internet provider in the UK (after BT). Customers looking for an all encompassing home entertainment package might look to Sky, as it offers some of the most competitive broadband bundles around.
Does Sky offer any broadband bundles?
Sky is what’s known as a ‘quad-play‘ provider. This means that it offers the complete range of mobile, internet, TV, and landline services.
It makes sense then, for Sky to offer bundles and extras for people looking to personalise their set up. Currently all Sky TV customers will get it’s Sky’s Entertainment package as standard but can add on a combination of any of the following packages for a personalised TV bundle.
- Sky Box Sets. £5 a month. Choose from over 400 Box Sets including The Walking Dead, Dexter and Grey’s Anatomy.
- Sky Cinema. £10 a month. Enjoy over 1,000 movies on demand, plus get a new premiere everyday.
- Sky Sports. £18 a month. Choose from 7 dedicated channels including Premier League, Football, F1 and Cricket.
- Sky Kids. £5 a month. Keep the kids entertained with 11 dedicated channels and over 4,500 episodes on demand.
- Sky HD. £5 a month. Experience some of your favourite shows and movies in stunning HD.
What add-ons come included with Sky’s broadband packages?
- Free ‘Sky Hub Box’ router. Simple to set up, and secure to use.
- McAfee Internet Security Suite. You’ll get a free one year trial for McAfee’s anti-virus software.
- Sky Broadband Shield. Another security feature which lets you filter websites.
- Sky Yahoo Email. You’ll have access to a free Sky Yahoo Email account.
- Sky ‘Switch Squad’. If you’re switching to Sky from another provider, Sky’s ‘Switch Squad’ will talk to your current provider to cancel your contract so you don’t have to.
Pros and cons
- Lots of bundles. Sky offers complete customisation of it’s broadband and TV deals meaning you can get a fully personalised package.
- All under one roof. Sky probably leads the field in this regard. If you do choose to opt for the full package of TV/mobile/broadband/phone, Sky will take care of the rest with it’s first-class home entertainment options.
- Usage caps. The basic Sky Fibre package comes with a limit on usage, which can be frustrating for customers.
- Expensive with bundles. A lot of Sky customers might only want access to Sports, or Movies. It might be worth exploring your options with other providers. Perhaps adding BT Sports with EE for instance, or using a streaming service like Netflix for your movies might be more suited to your budget.
What is line rental?
When shopping around for broadband deals, it’s easy to be drawn in by an eye-catching ‘£9.99 a month’ deal. What these deals might be failing to mention is something called ‘line rental’.
Broadband generally needs a phone line to connect to the internet. BT owns the country’s phone line network, and charges other providers, such as Sky, to use the lines. This cost is passed on to the customers and is called ‘line rental’.
More guides on Finder
Sky Broadband promo codes 2021
Find out how you could save money on broadband with these Sky Broadband promos and deals.
Compare Sky TV and broadband packages
A complete guide of Sky’s TV and broadband packages. Information on; channels, support information, their TV guide and the best prices avaliable on the market.
Ask an Expert