Stash debit card review
This Stash card comes with any Stash banking investment account, but monthly fees are unavoidable.
The Stash debit card, called the Stash stock-back card, is included with any Stash investment account. The card rewards you with fractional shares of a business you buy from, but monthly fees are unavoidable and balances don’t earn interest.
From $1 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
Applying for a Stash debit card is best for those who are new to the world of investing and want to learn more about buying and selling stocks. You can receive fractional shares in businesses you buy from in addition to earning up to 5% in cashback rewards at participating retailers.
But all three Stash accounts have a monthly fee that ranges from $1 to $9, and there’s no way to avoid it.
How much does Stash cost?
There are three tiers of Stash plans, with monthly costs ranging from $1 to $9. Here’s what you’ll get with each plan.
How do I get a Stash card?
To get started with Stash banking, you first need to have a Stash investment account.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Provider site, select Get Started.
- Enter your email address and create a password, then select Create Account.
- Provide your personal details, including your name, address and phone number.
- Follow the prompts to create a financial profile and verify your identity.
- Select one of the three Stash plans: Stash Beginner, Stash Growth or Stash+
To get a Stash card, you need to open a Stash investment account, which comes with the following eligibility requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or have a Green Card or approved visa
- Minimum $1 opening deposit
You must also provide the following information when opening your account:
- Social Security number
- Accounts and routing numbers from a US bank
What are the benefits of the Stash debit card?
A Stash Stock-Back card offers several benefits for novice investors.
- Fractional shares. Purchases can earn you stock in the businesses you buy from. For example, if you frequently purchase items from Amazon, Stash rewards you with fractional Amazon shares.
- Earn up to 5% cash back. Purchases from select brands and retailers can earn you up to 5% cash back. The list of participating retailers changes each month.
- Advance payment. You can get paid up to two days early by setting up direct deposit.
- Resources and tools. Stash‘s website includes educational resources and budgeting tools.
- Extras. Stash Growth and Stash+ accounts include IRAs and investment accounts for kids.
- Life insurance. All Stash accounts include life insurance coverage of at least $1,000.
How does Stash‘s Stock-Back program work?
You can earn Stock-Back at more than 11 million locations across the US as well as with numerous online retailers. And if you use your Stock-Back card at a retailer that doesn’t participate in the program, Stash rewards you with stock in a diversified fund.
Stash‘s ATM network and fees
All Stash accounts come with a Stock-Back debit card you can use to withdraw funds for free at 19,000 ATMs across the US. If you use out-of-network ATMs, you pay $2.50 for each withdrawal and $0.50 for every balance inquiry. This fee is in addition to ATM owner charges you might incur.
What should I look out for?Stash accounts have a lot to offer, but there are also some downsides to keep in mind.
- No free accounts. All three Stash account options require a monthly fee ranging from $1 to $9. And there aren’t any options to avoid the fee.
- No APY. Unlike other digital bank accounts, balances in Stash accounts don’t earn interest.
Compare Stash debit card with other digital accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are a few ways to deposit and withdraw money to and from your Stash banking account.
- Direct deposit
- Mobile check deposit via the app
- Free cash deposits at retailers, including CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens and Walmart
- Incoming ACH transfers
- More than 19,000 ATMs in Stash‘s nationwide network
- Outgoing ACH transfers
How can I contact Stash?
You can reach Stash in three ways.
- Phone. Call 800-205-5164 weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET.
- Email. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Direct message. Reach out through social media.
- Facebook: @stashinvestapp
- Instagram: @stash_app
- Twitter: @stash
- LinkedIn: @stashfinancial
Frequently asked questions
Which merchants offer Stock-Back rewards bonuses?
The list of businesses that offer Stock-Back rewards bonuses changes every month. Check the Learning Center on Stash‘s website to find out which businesses are currently participating.