Brex Cash account review
This cash management account lets business owners save idle money or invest it, but yields are low.
Brex Cash is a cash management account that gives business owners the option to save idle cash or invest it in money market mutual funds. There are no fees associated with Brex Cash, but saved money won’t earn any interest and invested funds have a low yield at 0.01%. But if your aim is to earn interest, your money will grow faster in a high-yield business savings account.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a personal finance writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Blinkist, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael graduated from Rowan University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. When he’s not writing, you can usually find him watching movies, enjoying the outdoors or boarding planes to distant destinations.
Brex Cash is best for business owners who want a tech-forward bank account that can keep up with their changing needs. Its biggest draw is zero fees and the option to invest idle cash in money market funds.
But saved money doesn’t accrue interest and invested funds earn virtually no yield. You could potentially earn a high yield with a business bank account that earns interest out the gate.
How do I open a Brex Cash account?
Applying for a Brex Cash account only takes a few minutes:
- Click Apply now.
- From the Brex Cash website, select Open an account.Enter your name and email address, then create a password and select Continue.
- Enter your company name, company type, industry, funding source, employee count and website address, then select Apply.
- Enter your business details, leadership structure and business ownership, then read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Once your application is complete, wait for approval from Brex before linking a funding source.
Consumers, sole proprietors, and unregistered businesses are ineligible to open Brex accounts, but you can apply for one if you satisfy the following criteria:
- Must represent an incorporated business, such as a C-corp, S-corp, LLC or LLP.
- Business must be organized and registered in the US.
- Business must not conduct activities prohibited by Brex, such as sell controlled substances or firearms, engage in prostitution, etc.
You’ll need to furnish the following information during the application process:
- Proof of business ownership
- Employer identification number (EIN)
- Details about your business’s leadership structure
How long will it take to get approved?
Approval for your Brex Cash account might take a day or two.
What are the benefits of a Brex Cash account?Brex Cash accounts offer several benefits for qualified business owners.
- Zero fees. Besides fees that may apply to deposits made into the money market fund, Brex won’t charge you for check deposits, monthly maintenance, ACH transfers or wire transfers.
- No cap on transactions. Most business checking accounts come with 100 to 500 free transactions a month that you pay a fee for when you go over the limit. With Brex Cash, you have unlimited free transactions.
- Instant payouts. If your business sells products on Amazon, you can access your sales revenue right away instead of waiting for up to two weeks.
- Flexible saving options. Choose to keep your money in the FDIC-insured portion of your Brex Cash account, or invest it to earn a yield.
What should I look out for?
Despite the benefits of Brex Cash, this account also has some serious drawbacks.
- Saved funds don’t earn interest. The only way to earn interest in your Brex Cash account is to invest in money market funds, which aren’t FDIC insured. On the other hand, some checking accounts — such as Kabbage — reward you with a 1.1% APY without having to invest funds.
- Not 100% FDIC insured. The Brex Cash account isn’t FDIC insured. Instead, your money must be swept into the company’s partner bank, UMB.
- Low yield. As of November 2020, the average seven-day yields on funds invested through Brex Cash only have a 0.01% yield.
Compare Brex Cash with other business checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are three ways to access your money:
- Domestic or international wire transfers
- Automated clearing house (ACH) transfers
- Deposit checks using the mobile app
What other products does Brex offer?
- Brex corporate credit card. Designed especially for tech startups and emerging life-sciences businesses, this card offers up to $150,000 in perks and earns eight times the rewards points based on the type of purchase you make.