Qapital app review
A round-up app that pushes you to reach customized savings goals, but only if you pay for the higher tiers.
finder.com’s rating: 3.6 / 5.0
Round-up apps are on the rise, but many of them simply park your money in savings accounts. Qapital’s approach allows you to create custom rules to reward your savings, like making a deposit whenever you visit the gym. But you won’t get access to all the features unless you pay for the more expensive account options.
$3 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Who is Qapital best for?Qapital may be a solid choice for people who have financial goals in mind — whether big or small — but aren’t sure how to reach them. Its rule- and goal-oriented approach incentivizes users to plan ahead and put money away for the future.
Qapital pricingQapital offers three plans to help you save and unlocks more features as you move up through the tiers:
|Basic — $3 monthly||Complete — $6 monthly||Master — $12 monthly|
|This option allows you to link an external checking account and gives you access to unlimited savings goals and customizable rules. Plus, it’s FDIC-insured.||Get everything in the basic plan, plus a checking account, PayDay Divvy and more spending and budgeting tools. You can also invest spare change in pre-built portfolios.||The master plan comes with everything that’s included in Qapital Complete, plus invitations to webinars and in-app challenges.|
What are the benefits of the Qapital app?Qapital‘s round-up service is a bit different than the others. Here’s how it stands out:
- Rules and goals. Set up one or more savings goals, then create rules that determine when money is transferred into each goal. Rules could include things like visiting the gym and shopping at a grocery store.
- Tools. Available on the Complete and Master plans, these spending and budgeting tools can help you spend smarter and track where your money is going.
- Easy to save. Qapital requires a minimum deposit of $10, then allows you to customize your round-up settings or set up recurring transfers to grow your savings faster.
- Optional checking account. If you opt for the Complete or Master packages, you’ll get a checking account with a Visa debit card, no overdraft fees, no negative balance fees and more.
- Referral bonus. Qapital often has referral bonuses that reward you and a friend with cash when they use your referral link to open and fund an account.
- Investment option. With the Master plan, you can set up individual investment goals to have any transfer deposited into a diversified ETF portfolio.
- Failsafe mechanism. Qapital can pause transfers when your checking account balance falls below $100, helping you avoid potential overdraft fees.
What should I look out for?
While this app can be a convenient way to start paying down your debt, there are a few things you should watch out for:
- Monthly service fees. Monthly plans cost between $3 and $12, dipping into your potential savings goals.
- No branches. Qapital is mobile-only, so you won’t be able to access your accounts at a branch if you need assistance.
- No earned interest. Your savings accounts don’t earn interest like most others.
- Limited customer support. There’s no phone support available and you won’t be able to chat with customer service on the weekend.
- Compatibility issues. Some users have mentioned having issues with the mobile app or making transfers from external checking accounts.
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I apply?Qapital is only available on mobile phones, so visit the Apple App or Google Play Store to get started:
- Download the Qapital mobile app.
- Open the app and tap Sign up.
- Sign in with Facebook or Google or tap Continue with Email.
- Enter your first and last name, email, create a password and tap Create account.
- Enter your mobile number, then enter the confirmation code and tap Continue.
- Set up a passcode and optional touch ID, then tap Continue.
- Select your subscription options, then click Confirm.
- Your account is set up. Create goals and link your accounts to start saving.
- US address
- Checking account from a US institution
- US phone number that can receive SMS text
- State-issued ID
- Name, address and date of birth
- Email address
- Phone number
- Bank account information
How can I get in touch with customer service?
If you need help with anything related to Qapital, visit the company website to start a live chat with a representative or send an email. Live chat isn’t available on weekends and the company doesn’t offer phone support.
Round-up apps can be effective ways to save, but Qapital goes the extra mile with rule and goal-based systems. However, there are unavoidable fees on every plan and you won’t get access to spending or investing tools unless you choose the more expensive packages.
If you’re not sure this app is right for you, compare your options to see what else is out there.
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.