Follow these steps to open a PoderCard account online:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Download the official PoderCard app from the Apple Store or Google Play Store.
- Open the app, select whether you wish to view it in Spanish or English and click Next.
- Create your username and password and click Setup App Login.
- Create and confirm your four-digit mobile unlock code.
- Enter your phone number and click Next.
- Enter the code that was sent to your phone and click Confirm Mobile Number.
- Type in your Social Security number, ITIN or Matricula Consular photo ID.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity and request your debit card.
Anyone who meets these requirements can open a PoderCard account:
- At least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Matricula Consular photo ID
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Social Security number, ITIN or Matricula Consular photo ID
- Driver’s license or other identifying documents
When will I receive my PoderCard?
Once your account is set up, you’ll receive your PoderCard debit card in the mail within seven business days.
The PoderCard is built in partnership with Green Dot. It’s FDIC-insured, comes with mobile banking and online bill pay and has these features:
- Minimal fees. You won’t pay for monthly maintenance fees, minimum balance fees or overdrafts with PoderCard.
- ASAP direct deposit. Get direct deposit paychecks and government benefits up to two days earlier than you would with a standard bank account.
- Large ATM network. Withdraw cash for free at over 46,000 AllPoint ATMs nationwide.
- Financial wellness library. Stay in control of your finances with a free library of personal finance resources.
While the PoderCard account has its benefits, it has potential drawbacks:
- No joint accounts. PoderCard only offers individual accounts.
- ATM restrictions. You can’t withdraw more than $500 daily or $3,000 monthly from ATMs. Plus, you’ll pay a $3 fee if you use an out-of-network ATM.
- Miscellaneous fees. Expect to pay $5 for replacement debit cards, 3% for foreign transactions and $2.50 if you withdraw cash with a bank teller.
- New account. PoderCard is new and doesn’t have any other accounts, so it may not be a good option for those who want to keep their banking under one roof.
If you were hoping to open a checking and savings account at the same bank, you’ll want to keep looking. As always compare your online bank options.
Use this table to compare similar accounts based on their interest rates, minimum opening deposits and ATMs networks.
PoderCard gives you several ways to deposit and withdraw money from your account:
- Direct deposit
- Transfer from another bank
- Cash deposits at a Green Dot location
- At an ATM
- Cash back at a retailer
- Transfer to another bank
PoderCard doesn’t have any reviews on Trustpilot or the Better Business Bureau’s website, but it does have reviews on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. On the App Store, it has an astounding rating of 4.9 out of 5 based on more than 13,000 ratings. On the Google Play Store, it has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 based on more than 2,000 reviews.
Reviewers on both platforms praise the PoderCard for its features and lack of fees. But there are also numerous complaints by would-be customers who encountered technical problems when signing up for an account.
You can contact a PoderCard support specialist via these methods.
- Call 1-833-337-6337.
- Send a note to a specialist via the app or website, and you can expect a response within 24 to 48 hours.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.
Read the full methodology of how we rate checking accounts.