NBKC VA loans review
finder.com’s rating: 3.7 / 5.0
An experienced VA online lender with dedicated loan professionals.
NBKC is a VA lender with easy online access and competitive rates. It offers VA home loans nationwide despite only having physical agents in the greater Kansas City area.
|Description||No lender fees and an easy online application from this top VA lender.|
|Minimum down payment||3%|
|Other fees||NBKC offers VA home loans with no lender, processing, origination or underwriting fees, with competitive rates in all 50 states. The exact mortgage rates you receive will depend on your down payment and credit score. 0% down payment for VA loans|
Online customer reviews praise loan consultants for personalized service, prompt responses and expertise. However, a few negative reviews say their closing process was slow and delayed.
Do I qualify for a VA home loan with NBKC?
To qualify for a VA home loan with NBKC, you’ll need to submit your Certificate of Eligibility and DD214 (if no longer active duty). If you have a service-related disability, inform your lender to get the funding fee waived. NBKC generally requires a credit score of at least 620 to qualify for a loan.
Pros and cons of NBKC VA home loans
NBKC offers experienced customer support and a mobile app that helps you keep tabs on your mortgage from your smart device. But you won’t find the convenience of a local branch.
- Generous VA benefits. Veterans loans require no lender, origination, underwriting or processing fees. And the lender’s committed to streamlined refinancing that can help you lower your rate with little to no out-of-pocket costs.
- Financing nationwide. NBKC is among the few lenders able to fund VA and FHA loans in all 50 states.
- Electronic application. Online application is easy to complete and track. You have the option to sign documents electronically or receive by overnight delivery.
- No in-person support. Unless you live near Kansas City — the one place offering a physical branch — you’ll need to reach out virtually or by phone for support.
How do I get started?
- Visit NBKC’s website and click Home Loans.
- Click Apply Online.
- Enter your first and last name. Click Next.
- Select the type of loan you are applying for. Click Next.
- Enter the loan amount. Click Next.
- Enter the amount of your down payment. Click Next.
- Tell NBKC that you or your spouse has served in the military.
- Enter your ZIP code. Click Next.
- Provide your contact information. Click Next.
If you’d like to speak with a representative to start the process, contact customer care at 800-375-8096.
To be approved for a VA loan with NBKC, you’ll need a:
- Valid Certificate of Eligibility (You must have served a minimum of 90 days during wartime, 181 days in peacetime, or six years in the National Guard or Reserves).
- Credit score of at least 620.
Have the following information on-hand before applying:
- Your home address of past two years.
- Names and addresses of your employers in the past two years.
- Your pretax monthly salary.
- Account information of all your liquid assets.
- Addresses and loan information if you own any real estate.
- Certificate of Eligibility and DD214 (if you’re not active duty).
- W2’s for the past two years.
- Most recent month of paycheck stubs.
- If you’re self-employed, provide your last two federal tax returns.
I got the loan. Now what?
- Review your loan agreement. Look through your loan agreement to familiarize yourself with late payment penalties or fees over the life of your loan.
- Sign up for an online account. Keep track of your payments online or use the mobile app.
- Automate your payments. Autopay can remove the stress — and fees — that come with missed payments.
- Get help. Reach out to customer service by live chat, through a secure online form or at 800-375-8096.
Frequently asked questions
Home loans ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top home loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, product selection and borrower experience.
Kelly Waggoner is the US editor-in-chief at Finder. She's worked with publishers, magazines and nonprofits throughout New York City, including ghostwriting a how-to on copyediting for the Dummies series. Between projects, she toys with words, flips through style guides and fantasizes about the serial comma's world domination.
NBKC is good for veterans in all 50 states, and offers a completely online application. But if you’re looking for in-person support and don’t live in Kansas City, you’ll need to look elsewhere.