With no fees and a high interest rate, this account gives you plenty of incentive to save.
The best bank accounts are the ones that work for you behind the scenes. If you’re on a savings mission, you can earn interest on your growing balance with a money market account.
NBKC’s option is ideal for those looking for a simple savings account with no fees, no balance requirements and a high interest rate. Opening an account is as easy as filling out a form. Once you’re in, the top-notch online portal, app and nationwide network of ATMs make up for the fact that NBKC only has a handful of physical branches.
|APY||1.77% on balances of $0 to $1,000,000 |
1.31% on balances of $1,000,000.01+
|Minimum deposit to open||$5|
|Minimum balance to earn interest||$0.01|
|Monthly transaction limit||6|
What are the benefits of a savings account with NBKC?NBKC Personal Money Market Savings account comes with a slew of benefits, including:
- No fees. The bank describes the account as a “No Gotchas” savings account. There are no monthly maintenance, overdraft, returned payment, nonsufficient funds or incoming domestic wire transfer fees. You won’t pay to close your account, either.
- No minimum balance. It costs $$5 to open an account. After that, you won’t need to maintain a minimum balance.
- Complimentary access to MoneyPass ATMs. You can dip your card into over 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs across the country for free.
- Monthly refunds on ATM fees. Speaking of ATMs, NBKC refunds up to $12 a month for third-party ATM fees.
- Competitive APYs. NBKC has a generous APY of 1.77% for balances up to $1 million and 1.31% for those over that amount.
- Mastercard debit card. When you open a Money Market Savings account, you’ll receive a chip-enabled debit card that can be used worldwide and at over 32,000 ATMs across the US.
- Simple signup process. You can apply for an account online, over the phone or in person at a branch.
Abundance of features
- Efficient online banking tools. Manage your account, set alerts, deposit checks and make payments online or on the app for free.
- Convenient deposit methods. Deposit money into your account at a branch, by mail and via the app by uploading photos of checks. You can also deposit cash or checks at compatible MoneyPass ATMs.
- Security and insurance. The FDIC insures up to $250,000 of your funds. You’re also privy to NBKC’s top-notch security systems, including Detect Safe Browsing software and the need to authorize high-risk transactions.
- Perks and freebies. The first box of 120 checks is free. You also won’t pay a dime to access online bill pay, cashier’s checks and eStatements, as well as to deposit checks and receive domestic wire transfers.
- Several customer service methods. Chat with a customer service rep in person, by email, over the phone or on live chat during business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT.
What should I look out for?
The drawbacks for this account are few and far between, but they may matter to you:
- Cap on transactions. There’s a limit of 6 debit transactions per month. While you won’t be charged a fee for withdrawing over the limit, excessive withdrawals may cause the bank to change your account to a personal checking account.
- Limited support times. The customer service team is only available during business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT. However, you can report a lost or stolen card 24/7 by calling 800-528-2273.
- Expensive wire transfers. It’ll cost you $5 to send domestic wires and $45 to both send and receive international wires.
- Few physical branches. NBKC has just four physical branches across Kansas and Missouri, which may be a dealbreaker for those who prefer to pop into their branch for their banking needs.
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I open an account?
- Go to the NBKC website.
- Navigate to the Personal page, and click Open Money Market Savings.
- Click Get Started.
- Check the box that says Money Market Savings, and click Next.
- Enter your email address and phone number, then review and agree to the consent forms.
- NBKC will text you a verification code. Enter this when you’re prompted on the next page.
- Fill out the rest of your personal details.
To apply for a Personal Money Market Savings account with NBKC, you must be:
- A US citizen or resident.
- At least 18 years old.
You’ll need the following information for your application:
- Social Security number.
- Valid driver’s license or state ID.
How do I deposit and withdraw money?
With this account, there are several ways to access your money:
- Direct deposit. Set up direct deposit with your employer or other banks by filling out an online form.
- ATMs. Access your money for free by dipping your NBKC Debit Mastercard into a MoneyPass ATM. You can also use ATMs outside the MoneyPass network. NBKC will reimburse you up to $12 a month for ATM fees charged by other banks.
- Checks. When you open an account, you’ll score a box of 120 checks for free. After that, it’s $18 a box.
- App. Easily deposit a check by uploading a photo of it to the NBKC app.
- Wire transfers. Transfer money via domestic and international wire transfers.
- Branches. Access your money by visiting any of NBKC’s four branches in Kansas and Missouri.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
You can reach customer service a few ways:
- Phone. Call 888-905-2165.
- Live chat. Get real-time help during business hours on the NBKC site.
- Online form. Fill out the form on the Contact Us page and a rep will get in touch within a couple of business days.
- Mail. Send mail to NBKC’s main branch:
8320 Ward Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64114
- Branches. Pop into one of the bank’s four physical branches in Missouri and Kansas.
NBKC is built on a “bank simply” promise, and this savings account lives up to that. Thanks to its sophisticated online banking tools and a nationwide network of ATMs, the bank makes it easy to manage your money. You don’t need to worry about meeting a minimum balance or paying maintenance or ATM fees — a factor that sets this savings account apart from many others on the market.
The competitive APY gives you another incentive to grow your balance, though we’ve seen money market accounts with higher interest rates.
To make an informed choice, compare your options with our guide to money market accounts.