NBKC Personal Money Market Savings account review
With no fees and a high interest rate, this account gives you plenty of incentive to save.
The NBKC Personal Money Market account rewards you with an 0.9% APY and no fees and minimum balance requirements. You’ll get free access to 32,000 ATMs across the US and up to $12 in monthly rebates non-network ATMs. But it lacks in-person support as there are only four physical branches available and it has high international wire transfer fees.
Minimum deposit to open
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
The best bank accounts are the ones that work for you behind the scenes. If you’re on a savings mission, you can earn interest on your growing balance with a money market account.
NBKC’s option is ideal for those looking for a simple savings account with no fees, no balance requirements and a high annual percentage yield (APY). Opening an account is as easy as filling out a form. Once you’re in, the top-notch online portal, app and nationwide network of ATMs make up for the fact that NBKC only has a handful of physical branches. But if you send international wire transfers on the regular, fees could add up.
What are the benefits of the NBKC Money Market account?
The FDIC-insured NBKC Personal Money Market Savings account comes with one free box of checks, efficient online banking tools and a slew of benefits, including:
- No fees. The bank describes the account as a “No Gotchas” savings account. There are no monthly maintenance, overdraft, returned payment, nonsufficient funds or incoming domestic wire transfer fees. You won’t pay to close your account, either.
- No minimum balance. It costs $$5 to open an account. After that, you won’t need to maintain a minimum balance.
- Monthly refunds on ATM fees. NBKC refunds up to $12 a month for non-network ATM fees. Or, you can dip your card into over 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs across the country for free.
- Competitive APYs. This account earns a generous 0.9% APY on all balances.
What should I look out for?
The drawbacks for the NBKC Money Market account are few and far between, but they may matter to you:
- Limited support times. The customer service team is only available during business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT. However, you can report a lost or stolen card 24/7 by calling 800-528-2273.
- Expensive wire transfers. Domestic wires are only $5, but you’ll pay $45 to send and receive international wires.
- Few physical branches. NBKC has just four physical branches across Kansas and Missouri, which may be a dealbreaker for those who prefer to pop into their branch for their banking needs.
If you prefer an account with branch locations near you, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a money market account.
Compare NBKC Money Market with other savings accounts
How do I open an NBKC Money Market account?
Open an NBKC Money Market account online, over the phone or in person at a branch. Follow these steps to open online:
- Go to the NBKC website.
- Navigate to the Personal page, and click Open Money Market.
- Click Get Started.
- Check the box that says Money Market Savings, and click Next.
- Enter your email address and phone number, then review and agree to the consent forms.
- NBKC will text you a verification code. Enter this when you’re prompted on the next page.
- Fill out the rest of your personal details.
To apply for a Personal Money Market Savings account with NBKC, you must be:
- A US citizen or resident.
- At least 18 years old.
You’ll need the following information for your application:
- Social Security number.
- Valid driver’s license or state ID.
How do I deposit and withdraw money?
With the NBKC Money Market account, there are several ways to access your money:
- Direct deposit. Set up direct deposit with your employer or other banks by filling out an online form.
- ATMs. Access your money for free by dipping your NBKC Debit Mastercard into a MoneyPass ATM. You can also use ATMs outside the MoneyPass network. NBKC will reimburse you up to $12 a month for ATM fees charged by other banks.
- Checks. When you open an account, you’ll score a box of 120 checks for free. After that, it’s $18 a box.
- App. Easily deposit a check by uploading a photo of it to the NBKC app.
- Wire transfers. Transfer money via domestic and international wire transfers.
- Branches. Access your money by visiting any of NBKC’s four branches in Kansas and Missouri.
How can I get in touch with NBKC’s customer service?
You can reach customer service a few ways:
- Phone. Call 888-905-2165.
- Live chat. Get real-time help during business hours on the NBKC site.
- Online form. Fill out the form on the Contact Us page and a rep will get in touch within a couple of business days.
- Mail. Send mail to NBKC’s main branch:
8320 Ward Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64114
- Branches. Pop into one of the bank’s four physical branches in Missouri and Kansas.