Moven Smart Bank Account review
A virtual bank that allows you easy access to your account info on the go.
This mobile-first checking account is designed to help you to develop better spending habits. It works hand-in-hand with the Moven app, which tracks your spending and offers a steady stream of feedback. However, the account doesn’t earn interest or make it easy to deposit cash and checks.
Minimum deposit to open
What are the benefits of a checking account with Moven?
Like most online bank accounts, Moven doesn't have a minimum balance requirement or monthly service fees. Some other benefits of banking with Moven include:
- Debit card. The checking account comes with a debit card and a contactless sticker that can be used anywhere Mastercard or Mastercard PayPass is accepted. You can also add the Moven card to a digital wallet like Apple Pay.
- Wide network of ATMs. You can use your debit card at 42,000 ATMs across the country for free.
- Access to Moven Stash. When you open a checking account, Moven will automatically open a savings tool called Stash. You can make up to 10 transfers per day into the account.
- Real-time money tracking. Whenever you make a purchase, the Moven app will categorize the transaction and update the Spending Meter to show where your money is going. If you're spending more money than usual, you'll receive a Spending Spike alert.
- Overdraft protection. Moven rejects any transactions that would overdraw your account.
- Linked accounts. While Moven doesn't offer a joint account, you can link two or more accounts and instantly transfer money between them.
What should I look out for?Moven falls short in the following ways:
- Minimum opening deposit. It costs $50 to open an account.
- No interest earned. Unlike some checking accounts, your balance earns zero interest.
- Inconvenient cash deposits. To deposit cash, you'll need to visit a retailer in the Mastercard Repower network, such as CVS or 7-Eleven. These stores usually charge a $4.95 fee per deposit.
- Expensive foreign transactions. Jetsetters will pay 1% of any transaction made in a foreign currency, and using international ATMs comes with an additional 1% fee.
- Long processing times. Moven partners with a service called Ingo Money for mobile checks. They clear in 10 days, or instantly if you pay a third-party service fee of 2% to 5% of the check.
Compare with other checking accounts
Moven's ATM network and feesMoven is part of the Star network, which has over 42,000 ATMs in retailers across the country. They're free to use, but it may cost to make a deposit. To find one near you, use the search function on the Star website.
The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $500.
The bank charges nothing in fees for using any out-of-network domestic ATMs, either. But if you use an ATM overseas, you'll be subject to Mastercard's 1% international surcharge fee.
How do I open a Moven account?
You can open an account on the Moven site or app.
These are the steps for opening an account online:
- Go to the Moven website.
- On the Moven homepage, click Sign up.
- Build a Moven profile by entering your full name, email address, cell phone number and password. Click Create profile.
- Press Apply for Smart banking..
- Provide your Mailing address. Click Next.
- Type in your Social Security number and date of birth.
- Review and agree to the terms and conditions. Click Submit application.
You'll be sent a link to download the Moven app. While you're waiting for your account to be approved, you can add any external debit, checking or credit card accounts to the app and start using the budgeting tools.
You'll be asked for the following information:
- Personal and contact details
- Mailing address
- Social Security number
- First and last name
- Date of birth
In most cases, it's unnecessary for you to provide photo ID, such as a driver's license.
To open an account, you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A US resident
- Able to pay the $50 minimum opening deposit
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
You can deposit up to $10,000 in your Moven account each month, and spend up to $10,000 per day. Access your money in these ways:
- Direct deposit. Send a portion of your paycheck straight to your checking account by filling out the direct deposit form on the app. Direct deposits are available by 11 a.m. ET on the postdate your employer sets.
- External transfers. Moven supports bank-to-bank transfers, and the funds usually appear in two to three business days. To find your Moven account and routing numbers, log in to the app and go to Moven spending then select View account details.
- Deposit checks with Ingo. Sign up for the Ingo app to cash mobile checks.
- Cash deposits in store. Head to a store in the Mastercard Repower network to deposit cash directly into your Moven account. It may cost to make a cash deposit, depending on the ATM.
- ATM withdrawals. Check your balance and withdraw funds for free at any Star ATM. Moven charges nothing for using out-of-network ATMs, but the ATM provider might.
Bottom lineMoven's checking account is best for those who would like to manage their spending habits. This online account offers real-time tracking on your money and a wide network of ATMs.
But if you need to make cash deposits you'll need to visit a retailer that may charge you $4.95 per deposit.
If you make a lot of cash deposits, you'll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a checking account.