Huntington 5 Checking account review
This checking account comes with free ATM withdrawals but its 0.02% APY is disappointing.
finder.com’s rating: 2.7 / 5.0
This basic checking account has some perks like reward points. Take advantage of ATM fee reimbursements and a 24-hour overdraft grace period, but only if you live in the Midwest.
$5 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$5 per month|
|To waive the fee||OR you have $5,000 in total relationship balances|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|ATMs||Free at more than 1,800 ATMs across the Midwest|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Huntington will waive 5 non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees and reimburse you for fees charged by another ATM|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$3|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
Shannon Terrell is a senior writer for Finder who has written over 400 personal finance guides. With a focus on investments and personal finance, she breaks down jargon-laden topics to help others make informed financial decisions. She studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto.
The Huntington 5 Checking account is best for those who live in one of the seven Midwest states it services. The account offers five free non-bank ATM withdrawals a month and 0.02% APY.
But if you don’t maintain a balance of $5,000 across your accounts, the small savings you do earn may be eaten up by its $5 monthly fee.
How do I open a Huntington 5 Checking account?
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From Huntington’s website menu bar, click Open an Account.
- Under Huntington 5 Checking, click or tap Apply Now.
- Enter your information, including your full name and email address. Click Continue.
- Input your ID information, including your ID number, state of issue and date of issue. Next, enter your residential address, date of birth and Social Security number. Click Continue.
- Review your application information and make any necessary changes.
- Read through Huntington’s account disclosures and online terms and conditions.
- Fund your account using an externally linked account.
Your Huntington Debit Mastercard will arrive by mail within seven to 10 business days.
To remain eligible for this account, you must meet the following criteria:
- US citizen
- At least 18 years old
- Social Security number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
- Valid bank account
- Resident of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or West Virginia
Have the following information ready before you apply:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Contact information
- Employment information
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or state ID
- External bank account number and routing number of funding account
7 benefits of a Huntington 5 Checking account
Open an account with any amount and enjoy the following perks:
- 5 free out-of-network ATM withdrawals. While you can access your money for free at any Huntington ATM, you also won’t be charged for the first five non-Huntington ATM withdrawals you make per statement cycle. And Huntington will reimburse for any out-of-network ATM fees from the non-network ATM provider on those five withdrawals.
- 24-hour overdraft grace period. Get your account out of the red and avoid overdraft fees.
- $50 overdraft safety zone. If you overdraw your account by $50 or less, Huntington won’t charge you an overdraft fee.
- Standby Cash. Access a $100 to $1,000 line of credit when you receive $750 or more in monthly deposits for three consecutive months. Take three months to pay it back with no interest or fees when you set up automatic payments or pay 1% monthly interest without automatic payments.
- Free credit score monitoring. Enroll to receive a complimentary monthly VantageScore report and quarterly credit snapshots.
- Huntington relationship rates. Avoid the monthly fee and have access to higher interest rates when you have multiple accounts with Huntington. For example, residents in Columbus, Ohio can boost their Relationship Savings Account interest rate from 0.02% to 0.03% APY.
- Sign up bonus. Earn a $200 cash bonus when you open a new Huntington 25 Checking account by October 7, 2021, and cumulative deposits totaling at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening.
Huntington Voice credit card bonus points
If you carry a Huntington Voice credit card and collect reward points, opening a Huntington 5 Checking account offers the perk of earning bonus points.
By holding both a Huntington Voice credit card and a Huntington 5 Checking account, you’ll earn a 5% bonus on your Huntington Voice credit card reward points. But to qualify, you’ll need to carry a Huntington Voice credit card before you apply.
5 things to look out for
This checking account has a couple drawbacks to note:
- 0.02% APY. Even for an interest-bearing checking account, the low APY that accompanies this account is unimpressive.
- $5 maintenance fee. You’ll need to maintain a combined minimum balance of $5,000 across your Huntington accounts to avoid the $5 monthly maintenance fee.
- Limited availability. The Huntington 5 Checking account is only available to residents of the following Midwest states: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or West Virginia. And starting November 2021, Huntington will expand operations to include residents of Colorado, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
- No free checks. There are no free checks associated with this account, but you can order checks from Huntington’s website, by visiting a local bank branch or by calling 800-480-2265.
- Overdraft fee. While Huntington has a $50 overdraft safety net, you’ll be charged a $37.50 overdraft fee for transactions that put you $50 or more in the hole. You can avoid the fee by linking a Huntington savings or money market account to cover overdrafts.
If you prefer a higher yield checking account, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, review other options when looking for a checking account.
Huntington’s ATM network and fees
The Huntington 5 Checking account comes with a Huntington Debit Mastercard that offers access to its network of over 1,700 ATMs across its serviced states.
While there’s no cost for using a Huntington ATM, there’s a $3 fee associated with third-party ATM providers. However, this checking account offers fee reimbursements for your first five withdrawals made at non-Huntington ATMs per statement cycle.
Huntington’s reviews and complaints
Huntington is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ BBB rating. But it has its fair share of customer complaints — 558 resolved complaints within the last three years. And 152 customer reviews give it an average of 1.25 out of 5 stars as of July 2021. Its Trustpilot rating isn’t too much better — 2.8 out of 5 stars based on 11 reviews.
Customers enjoy Huntington’s unique perks, including its 24-hour grace period and $50 overdraft safety net. But many complaints cite poor customer service, especially at local branches, long holds on funds and frozen accounts.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Move funds to and from your account in any of the following ways:
- Online deposits from an externally linked account
- Mobile check deposit using Huntington’s mobile app
- ATM deposits
- Wire transfers
- Debit card
- Mobile wallets with a linked debit card
- ATM withdrawals
- Online withdrawals to an external account
- Wire transfers
- Paper checks
How to contact Huntington customer service?
Get assistance with your account by:
- Calling 800-480-2265 every day from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET
- Live chatting with a customer rep by clicking the Ask Us button on its website
- Sending a direct Facebook message to @huntington bank
- Tweeting @askhuntington
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.