Huntington 5 Checking account review
This checking account comes with free ATM withdrawals but its 0.02% APY is disappointing.
finder.com’s rating: 2.7 / 5.0
This basic checking account has some perks like reward points. Take advantage of ATM fee reimbursements and a 24-hour overdraft grace period, but only if you live in the Midwest.
$5 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Monthly fee||$5 per month|
|To waive the fee||OR you have $5,000 in total relationship balances|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|ATMs||Free at more than 1,800 ATMs across the Midwest|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Huntington will waive 5 non-Huntington ATM cash withdrawal fees and reimburse you for fees charged by another ATM|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$3|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
Shannon Terrell is a writer for Finder who studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto. On any given day, you can find her researching everything from equine financing and business loans to student debt refinancing and how to start a trust. She loves hot coffee, the smell of fresh books and discovering new ways to save her pennies.
The Huntington 5 Checking account is best for those who live in one of the seven Midwest states it services. The account offers five free non-bank ATM withdrawals a month and 0.02% APY.
But if you don’t maintain a balance of $5,000 across your accounts, the small savings you do earn may be eaten up by its $5 monthly fee.
What are the benefits of a checking account with Huntington?
Open an account with any amount and enjoy the following perks:
- 5 free ATM withdrawals. You won’t be charged for the first five non-Huntington ATM withdrawals you make per statement cycle.
- 24-hour overdraft grace period. Get your account out of the red and avoid overdraft fees.
- Huntington relationship rates. Avoid the monthly fee and have access to higher interest rates when you have multiple accounts with Huntington.
Huntington Voice credit card bonus points
If you carry a Huntington Voice credit card and collect reward points, opening a Huntington 5 Checking account offers the perk of earning bonus points.
By holding both a Huntington Voice credit card and a Huntington 5 Checking account, you’ll earn a 5% bonus on your Huntington Voice credit card reward points. But to qualify, you’ll need to carry a Huntington Voice credit card before you apply.
What should I look out for?
This checking account has a couple drawbacks to note:
- 0.02% APY. Even for an interest-bearing checking account, the low APY that accompanies this account is unimpressive.
- $5 maintenance fee. You’ll need to maintain a combined minimum balance of $5,000 across your Huntington accounts to avoid the $5 monthly maintenance fee.
- Limited availability. The Huntington 5 Checking account is only available to residents of the following Midwest states: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or West Virginia.
- No checks. There are no free checks associated with this account, but you can order checks from Huntington’s website, by visiting a local bank branch or by calling 800-480-2265.
If you prefer a higher yield checking account, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, review other options when looking for a checking account.
Huntington’s ATM network and fees
The Huntington 5 Checking account comes with a Huntington Debit Mastercard that offers access to its network of over 1,800 ATMs across its serviced states.
While there’s no cost for using a Huntington ATM, there’s a $3 fee associated with third-party ATM providers. However, this checking account offers fee reimbursements for your first five withdrawals made at non-Huntington ATMs per statement cycle.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I open a Huntington 5 Checking account?
- Go to Huntington’s website and click Apply.
- Enter your full name and email address. Next, answer Huntington’s eligibility questions. Click Continue.
- Enter your ID information, including your ID number, state of issue and date of issue. Next, enter your residential address, date of birth and Social Security number. Click Continue.
Review your application information and make any necessary changes. Then, review Huntington’s account disclosures and online terms and conditions.
Finally, you’ll be asked to complete your application by funding your account using an externally linked account.
Your Huntington Debit Mastercard will arrive by mail within seven to 10 business days.
To remain eligible for this account, you must meet the following criteria:
- US citizen
- At least 18 years old
- Social Security number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
- Valid bank account
- Resident of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or West Virginia
Have the following information ready before you apply:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Contact information
- Employment information
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or state ID
- External bank account number and routing number of funding account
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Move funds to and from your account in any of the following ways:
- Online deposit. Make an online transfer to or from an externally linked account.
- Mobile check deposit. Using Huntington’s mobile app, deposit a check to your account by snapping and uploading a photo of your check.
- ATM. Make a withdrawal or deposit at any of Huntington’s 1,800 ATMs.
- Wire transfer. Incoming wire transfers cost $15, while outgoing domestic transfers cost $25.
- In person. Bring a valid form of ID when you visit a local Huntington branch to conduct a transfer in person.
What other checking options does Huntington 5 offer?
Checking account options are plentiful with this provider:
- Asterisk-free Checking account. This simple checking account has no monthly maintenance fee or minimum balance requirement.
- Huntington 25 Checking account. Earn 0.25% APY with this interest-bearing checking account alongside free ATM withdrawals at non-Huntington ATMs.
- Business Checking 100. This account comes with no monthly fees, 100 free monthly transactions and up to $5,000 in deposits in-branch or at an ATM at no charge.
- Business Analyzed Checking account. Receive a free Huntington Debit Mastercard Businesscard and offset service fees by earning account credits.
- Unlimited Business Checking account. Enjoy unlimited transactions, merchant services and payroll services with the option to waive the $20 monthly fee when you maintain at least $10,000 in combined balances across eligible Huntington accounts.
- Unlimited Plus Business Checking account. An interest-bearing business checking account that offers unlimited transactions, two Huntington bonus services and no maintenance fee with combined balances of at least $50,000 across eligible Huntington accounts.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.