Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Near (NEAR)
A beginner's guide to buying and selling NEAR in the US.
How to buy Near
Look for an exchange that supports both fiat and cryptocurrency to simplify buying Near.
- Open an account on an exchange that supports NEAR.
Most exchanges require an email address, phone number and proof of ID to register.
- Deposit funds into your account.
Fund your account with a bank transfer, pay with a credit or debit card or deposit cryptocurrency from a crypto wallet to buy Near.
- Buy Near.
Complete your Near purchase and then find the best wallet to store NEAR.
What is Near?
Near is a smart contract blockchain platform, which competes with Ethereum 2.0 and is designed to be compatible with many of its features (including existing tokens and solidity contracts). According to its website, you can use Near to create a decentralised application in 5 minutes.
As a NEAR token holder you can use applications on NEAR, participate in network governance and earn token rewards.
There are two major groups who use the NEAR token: users who are using apps built on the NEAR platform and token holders who lend their tokens to a validating pool in exchange for returns. NEAR tokens were launched in August 2020 via an initial coin offering (ICO) which raised US$10 million at $0.40 per coin.
Near (NEAR) is the 74th largest cryptocurrency in the world by market cap, valued at $1,764,411,251. The current price of Near is $4.970, which is 0.025% higher than yesterday. Prices have ranged between $5.130 and $4.660 over the past 24 hours. All prices are listed in US dollars and accurate as of April 21, 2021 05:04 UTC.
Where to buy NearFind an exchange to buy, sell and trade NEAR by comparing deposit methods, supported fiat currencies and fees. Select Go to site to sign up directly with the provider.
Near coin priceUse our graph to track the performance of NEAR over time.
Near at a glance
|Total NEAR supply||1,000,000,000|
|All time high||US$7.560|
Near price performance over time
How to sell Near
You can cash out your NEAR with the same exchange you bought it through:
- Sign in to the exchange you have NEAR on.
If you store your Near in a digital wallet, compare crypto exchanges to sell it on.
- Place a sell order.
Choose the amount of NEAR you'd like to sell.
- Complete your transaction.
Confirm the sell price and fees and close your sale of Near.
What to consider when buying NearBuying a cryptocurrency carries inherent risks and is often subject to price volatility. Before buying NEAR tokens here are some of the important factors to consider:
- Supply. When NEAR tokens were launched in 2020, there were 1 billion NEAR tokens. Every year the supply will increase by a maximum of 5% in order to pay network validators. The network will burn transaction fees it collects so that token supply will be reduced over time as the Near network grows.
- Staking vs holding. NEAR is currently minted at a maximum of 5% per year which means it is subject to a 5% annual inflation rate. This means you should consider the benefits of staking if you plan to hold NEAR long-term, in order to both benefit from and protect against inflation.
- Competition. The Near platform competes with other blockchain platforms such as Ethereum 2.0 and Polkadot.
Ask an Expert