Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy and sell METAL (MTL)
A beginner’s guide to buying and trading the METAL cryptocurrency (MTL) in the US.
Metal Pay is a blockchain-based payment processing platform designed to introduce cryptocurrency to the masses. It offers a secure cryptocurrency wallet that connects to your bank accounts and allows you to send instant transfers around the globe.
METAL (MTL) is the native currency of the platform and is used for proof-of-processed-payment rewards to Metal Pay users. Let’s take a closer look at how the Metal Pay platform works and how you can buy, sell and trade MTL in the US.
Where to buy, sell and trade MTL
MTL is currently available on a number of cryptocurrency exchanges, including:
How to buy MTL: A step-by-step guide
If you want to buy MTL, here’s an example of how you can do it:
Step 1. Create an account with an exchange that lists MTL
Few, if any, cryptocurrency exchanges allow you to exchange US dollars (USD) for MTL, so the first step is to find an exchange that lists MTL in a currency pair and sign up for an account. The process at each exchange varies, but you’ll likely need to provide an email address and password to register, and some will require you to supply your name, contact details and proof of ID.
We also recommend that you enable two-factor authentication on your account for added security.
Step 2. Deposit funds
Many people looking to buy MTL will have to first obtain a common cryptocurrency that’s paired with MTL on the exchange you’ve chosen. See our other guides for instructions on how to buy bitcoin or Ethereum, then transfer your BTC or ETH to your selected exchange. You should be able to create a new MTL wallet on the exchange, then copy and paste the wallet address when you make the transfer.
Step 3. Buy MTL
Once the funds have been deposited, search for the cryptocurrency pair you want to exchange, such as MTL/BTC, and follow the prompts to enter the number of MTL you want to buy or the amount of BTC you want to spend, and don’t forget to review the full details of the transaction before confirming the purchase.
How to sell MTL
If you want to sell your METAL tokens, you can do so by searching for your chosen currency pair and clicking on the sell button. The process after that is more or less the same as that outlined in Step 3 above, but it’s important to remember that you may not be able to directly exchange MTL for the currency you want to acquire.
Which wallets can I use to hold MTL?
For security reasons, it’s recommended that you move your cryptocurrency holdings into a secure wallet for safe storage instead of keeping them on a crypto exchange.
MTL is an ERC20 token on the Ethereum network. You can sign up for Metal’s web wallet, known as Vault, through the Metal Pay website.
Other ERC20-compatible wallets include:
How Metal Pay works
Despite their rise in popularity and public consciousness recently, cryptocurrencies have yet to break into the mainstream. It’s this challenge that Metal Pay aims to overcome.
This blockchain-based system utilizes proof-of-processed-payments to identify users, rewarding them for converting legacy fiat currency into cryptocurrency. When people send money or make purchases using the Metal Pay platform, they receive METAL tokens as a reward, with the ability to earn up to 5% MTL on every purchase.
The basic idea behind Metal Pay is to introduce cryptocurrency to the masses. It aims to do this by providing a secure digital wallet that allows users to manage their cryptocurrency and fiat currency funds. The wallet is designed to have an easy-to-use interface, offer simple fiat-to-crypto conversions and allow users to send money around the globe instantly with nothing more than a phone number.
From the white paper:
“Without an incentive to purchase, cryptocurrency may never reach mass adoption. Metal proposes a system utilizing provable payments attached to verified identities to distribute currency. Anyone can participate to earn MTL as a reward for converting fiat to cryptocurrency.”
What to consider before you buy MTL
Buying cryptocurrency is risky and speculative, and there are several complicated factors that can influence the value of digital currencies. As a result, it’s critical that you consider all the risks associated with any crypto before deciding to buy.
If you’re thinking of purchasing MTL, take these factors into account:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap at the time of writing (2/1/18) the circulating supply of MTL was 19,300,994 out of a total supply of 66,588,888 MTL.
- Rewards. METAL rewards are distributed through the proof-of-processed-payments system, allowing users to earn up to 5% MTL on every purchase. 26,341,112 MTL tokens are set aside for this purpose. An additional 13,378,888 MTL are kept in the Metal operational pool to be used at the company’s discretion.
- Use. MTL tokens are offered as a reward to encourage the widespread adoption of cryptocurrency. However, they also have a range of other uses in the platform. For example, merchants will be able to purchase platform credit with MTL, which will entitle them to a discount on all associated payment processing fees and merchant services. Merchants may also receive an additional 5% discount off payment processing fees for offering a discount to customers who pay with MTL.
- Business targets. In the white paper, Metal says its goal is to provide all of the financial services small to medium-sized businesses might need but can’t access currently. Its initial target market will be high-risk merchants, cash-intensive merchants and those who want to accept cryptocurrency. Moves to acquire traditional merchants will occur at a later stage, and Metal’s ability to attract and seamlessly integrate merchants into its system will therefore be crucial to the value of MTL tokens.
- Market competition. Finally, it’s also important to assess the challenges Metal Pay could face from competitors. For example, OmiseGo (OMG) offers a similar product that is well worth researching.
By considering all the available information about the potential future value of MTL, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about whether this particular cryptocurrency represents a sound purchase.
More guides on Finder
These IPOs will be hot in 2021
Private-equity companies have about $1.6 trillion of uninvested capital to put into merger and acquisition activity. This bodes well for 2021’s IPO market.
Bitcoin rockets to yearly high as PayPal announces cryptocurrency plans
Bitcoin has hit a new yearly high with PayPal adding fuel to its tank.
Use your loan balance immediately with the new LendFi Visa Card
Get near-instant access to LendFi loan funds, plus earn 4% cashback on all purchases with the LendFi Visa Card.
Xbox One review and buying guide
Trying to choose the right gaming console for you and your family? You’ll find everything you need to know about Microsoft’s Xbox One console right here.
Use this crypto-enabled prepaid card to spend, save or exchange in digital and traditional currencies.
Compound (COMP): How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the COMP cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Bancor Network (BNT): How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the BNT cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Thorchain (RUNE): How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the RUNE cryptocurrency with this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Balancer (BAL): How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the BAL cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
KAVA cryptocurrency: How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the KAVA cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Ask an Expert