The Hartford life insurance review Sep 2020
Employer-sponsored plans with funeral- and will-planning included
- Get a quote if you’re looking for a group policy to offer your employees.
- Pick something else if you need permanent life insurance options.
18 to 80
$25,000 to $250,000
Medical Exam Required
|Free quote||Through your employer|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Term lengths||Not listed|
|Issue age||18 to 80|
|Coverage||$25,000 to $250,000|
|Medical exam required||Yes|
|Monthly cost||$50 per month|
|Claim methods||Online, phone|
|Riders||Spouse, child, accelerated benefits, accidental death and dismemberment, disability waiver of premium, buy-up options|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
The Hartford is a well-known name in the insurance industry with centuries of experience. On top of that, its low number of complaints signal the company’s trustworthiness and customer satisfaction. Plus, you won’t find as many free services included with other companies’ term life policy as you will with The Hartford.
On the other hand, individuals needing life insurance outside their employer can’t benefit from its offerings. Also, The Hartford won’t work well for people wanting cash growth or permanent life insurance coverage.
It’s best to shop around with multiple life insurance companies so you can find the best deal for the coverage you need.
What types of life insurance coverage does The Hartford offer?
The Hartford specializes in term group life policies with death benefits as high as $250,000. This type of policy offers life insurance at a flat rate for a specified period, such as 20 years. As an employer-sponsored policy, employees have to buy this insurance through their employer to get coverage.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
The Hartford provides a suite of benefits and riders that employers can choose to offer to employees, including helpful coverage for dependents:
- Spouse. With this rider, employees can get up to 100% of the death benefit if their spouse dies.
- Child. This rider offers up to $15,000 if a child named on the policy dies.
- Accelerated benefits. Speed up payment of the death benefit if you or your dependents have a terminal illness or condition.
- Accidental death. Employees or their families can get paid an additional benefit if the employee, spouse or children become disabled or die in an accident.
- Disability waiver of premium. Employees can get the premium dismissed while keeping coverage if they can’t work because of a disability.
- Annual buy-up option. Employees can choose to buy extra coverage for themselves if their employer offers this option. The annual buy-up works on top of the base group coverage offered to employees at no charge.
- Portability option and conversion allows employees to keep their insurance if they stop working with their employer.
In addition to these riders, The Hartford includes several benefits in its policies free of charge:
- Funeral planning and concierge. The Hartford gives employees resources for pre-arranging funeral plans. It also negotiates pricing and arrangements for an insured person’s funeral after death.
- Beneficiary counseling. The company’s professional counselors help beneficiaries cope with their loss and assist in handling the legal and financial issues that arise.
- Creating a will. The Hartford offers the ability to create a will online through ComPsych Corporation. It includes online legal support if you need it.
- Travel assistance with identity protection services. You can contact the travel assistance for pre-trip information for any trip or for medical assistance if you find yourself on a detour from your trip. For medical assistance, the trip needs to be at least 100 miles from home and the trip length no longer than 90 days.
How much does The Hartford cost?
Typical term life insurance policies can cost anywhere from $50 to $150 monthly. However, your premiums will depend on factors like:
- Your age
- Your health like BMI and blood pressure
- Smoking or drinking habits
- Job and hobbies
- Term length
- Face amount and riders chosen
Pros and cons of The Hartford
- A suite of free services. The Hartford lends a hand with funeral and will planning, travel assistance and counseling after a death. You won’t find these services free of charge with many competitors.
- One of the most experienced insurers. Not many insurance companies can say they’ve served the industry for over 200 years. That shows The Hartford’s commitment and longevity.
- Portable policies. Though employer-sponsored, policies can go with the employee if they leave the company sponsoring their life insurance coverage.
- Low customer complaints. The Hartford’s complaint index rests well below the average for life insurance companies.
- No individual policies. The only policies you can buy are employer-sponsored. So you’re out of luck if your job doesn’t offer The Hartford’s policies.
- Only term life insurance. If you prefer a permanent life insurance option, you’ll need to look at other insurance companies.
Compare alternatives to The Hartford
The Hartford life insurance reviews and complaints
Hartford Life and Annuity Insurance Company holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of April 27, 2020. The company is not BBB accredited. In addition, it closed nearly 140 complaints in the last 12 months. The majority of the complaints deal with The Hartford’s insurance products and, secondarily, billing issues.
To put the complaints in context, Hartford Life scored a 0.32 out of 1.00 on the 2019 complaint index from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. An average complaint index based on the company’s size would be 1.00, putting The Hartford well below average.
As for its finances, Hartford Life received an A (Excellent) rating from AM Best in 2019, showing the company’s stability.
How do I sign up for The Hartford life insurance?
To apply for The Hartford’s life insurance, you have to go through your employer. The process might look something like this:
- Receive policy information from your employer, including coverage and expected premiums.
- Review the benefits and ask your employer’s benefits manager any questions. Otherwise, you can contact The Hartford at 800-523-2233 with policy inquiries.
- Select the coverage and voluntary benefits you want and choose to waive any other benefits.
- Sign the paperwork and provide your preferred payment method, if needed. Turn in your documents by the specified due date.
- Start your life insurance coverage.