The Hartford life insurance review Aug 2021
Employer-sponsored plans with funeral- and will-planning included
- Get a quote if you’re looking for a group policy to offer your employees.
- Pick something else if you need permanent life insurance options.
18 to 80
$25,000 to $250,000
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||Not listed|
|Medical exam required||Yes|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||Up to 80 years old|
- A suite of free services
- One of the most experienced insurers
- Portable policies
- Low customer complaints
- No individual policies
- Only term life insurance
Accelerated death benefit rider
Accidental death benefit rider
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
The Hartford is a well-known name in the insurance industry with centuries of experience. On top of that, its low number of complaints signal the company’s trustworthiness and customer satisfaction. Plus, you won’t find as many free services included with other companies’ term life policy as you will with The Hartford.
On the other hand, individuals needing life insurance outside their employer can’t benefit from its offerings. Also, The Hartford won’t work well for people wanting cash growth or permanent life insurance coverage.
It’s best to shop around with multiple life insurance companies so you can find the best deal for the coverage you need.
What affects my rate with The Hartford
Typical term life insurance policies can cost anywhere from $50 to $150 monthly. However, your premiums will depend on factors like:
- Your age
- Your health like BMI and blood pressure
- Smoking or drinking habits
- Job and hobbies
- Term length
- Face amount and riders chosen
How to get a quote from The Hartford life insurance
To apply for The Hartford’s life insurance, you have to go through your employer. The process might look something like this:
- Receive policy information from your employer, including coverage and expected premiums.
- Review the benefits and ask your employer’s benefits manager any questions. Otherwise, you can contact The Hartford at 800-523-2233 with policy inquiries.
- Select the coverage and voluntary benefits you want and choose to waive any other benefits.
- Sign the paperwork and provide your preferred payment method, if needed. Turn in your documents by the specified due date.
- Start your life insurance coverage.
What types of life insurance coverage does The Hartford offer?
The Hartford specializes in term group life policies with death benefits as high as $250,000. This type of policy offers life insurance at a flat rate for a specified period, such as 20 years. As an employer-sponsored policy, employees have to buy this insurance through their employer to get coverage.
What riders can I add to my policy?
The Hartford provides a suite of benefits and riders that employers can choose to offer to employees, including helpful coverage for dependents:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. Speed up payment of the death benefit if you or your dependents are diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Accidental death benefit rider. Employees or their families can get paid an additional benefit if the employee, spouse or children become disabled or die in an accident.
- Child rider. This rider offers up to $15,000 if a child named on the policy dies.
- Conversion rider. Allows you to convert your term life policy into a permanent policy within a specified time frame.
- Portability rider. Allows you the option to keep your group benefits coverage if you change employers.
- Spouse rider. With this rider, employees can get up to 100% of the death benefit if their spouse dies.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Employees can get the premium dismissed while keeping coverage if they can’t work because of a disability.
In addition to these riders, The Hartford includes several benefits in its policies free of charge:
- Funeral planning and concierge. The Hartford gives employees resources for pre-arranging funeral plans. It also negotiates pricing and arrangements for an insured person’s funeral after death.
- Beneficiary counseling. The company’s professional counselors help beneficiaries cope with their loss and assist in handling the legal and financial issues that arise.
- Creating a will. The Hartford offers the ability to create a will online through ComPsych Corporation. It includes online legal support if you need it.
- Travel assistance with identity protection services. You can contact the travel assistance for pre-trip information for any trip or for medical assistance if you find yourself on a detour from your trip. For medical assistance, the trip needs to be at least 100 miles from home and the trip length no longer than 90 days.
The Hartford life insurance reviews and complaints
Hartford Life and Annuity Insurance Company holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of October 2020. The company is not BBB accredited. In addition, it closed nearly 115 complaints in the last 12 months. The majority of the complaints deal with The Hartford’s insurance products and, secondarily, billing issues.
To put the complaints in context, Hartford Life scored a 0.32 out of 1.00 on the 2019 complaint index from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. An average complaint index based on the company’s size would be 1.00, putting The Hartford well below average.
As for its finances, Hartford Life received an A (Excellent) rating from AM Best in 2019, showing the company’s stability.
|AM Best financial rating||
1/5 out of 43 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||2.1/5 out of 10 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||25 January 2021|