Figure home equity review
Get approved in minutes and funded with no hidden fees.
Home equity lines of credit at your local bank can involve a lot of paperwork, approvals and time to funding. Figure Lending LLC (Figure) is looking to change up the game with quick applications and funding. But it’s a relatively new company, and its products aren’t available for all types of properties.
What can I expect with Figure home equity products?
Figure is focused on an all-digital experience for its HELOCs, folding in a fully online application, virtual meetings and other digital features. That kind of technology offers a speedier turnaround than banks, with rates that are competitive to other lenders.
Figure’s marketing highlights a system that relies on blockchain technology to record and store your loan information after approval. Though with that technology running well behind the scenes, you aren’t likely to see a difference between a bank that uses traditional technology to store your loan.
If you qualify for a HELOC, you can borrow up to 80% of the value of your home with:
- Speedy prequalification. Fill out a simple online form and be prequalified in minutes with only a soft credit pull.
- A range of loans and terms. Loans range from $15,000 to $250.000. You can apply for multiple loans within these limits at terms of 5, 10, 15 and 30 years.
- Minimal fees. You won’t pay appraisal, late payment or prepayment fees. Though expect to pay origination fees up to 0-4.99%, depending on your state and other qualifications.
Figure reviews and complaints
Figure is a startup as of 2018, so its online reviews are limited. So far, though, the company has a 5 out of 5 rating on Facebook from a handful of customers.
Pros and cons
- Fast prequalification and funding. Get prequalified in minutes and funding quickly after completion of the loans process.
- Minimal fees. You won’t pay costs to open or maintain an account, an appraisal fee or prepayment penalties for paying your loan off early.
- Competitive APRs. Figure’s APR rates are competitive compared to other lenders. Further rate discounts are available if you become a member with its partner credit union and sign up for autopay.
- Online video notary and support where available. Complete the entire process from the comfort of your own home.
- No in-person support. Figure is a 100% digital company. If you value face-to-face service or prefer a lender with physical locations, look elsewhere.
- New to the market. A digital disruptor can be a good thing, but there’s just not enough out there from customers to know what to expect long term.
- Requires handing over your bank details. Figure requires you to connect at least one checking account, but Redditors report having to give up your bank login details to do so.
- Origination fee can be high. While the number of costs are minimal overall, the fee on your first draw can make your loan more expensive than competitors, depending on where you live and other qualifications.
Compare home equity loan and HELOC optionsCompare these lenders and lender marketplaces by the type of home equity product you're searching for, state availability and minimum credit score. Select See rates to provide the company with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
How do I qualify for a home equity line of credit with Figure?
You need a minimum credit score of 620 (720 in Oklahoma) to qualify for a HELOC, and your name must appear on the county record as the owner of the property.
Eligible properties for a HELOC are limited to single-family residences, townhouses, condos or planned urban development properties with hazard insurance and flood insurance if located in FEMA flood zones A or V.
How do I get started?
- Select Find my rate from Figure’s homepage.
- Complete the questionnaire pop-up, and then select I agree. You’ll receive a prequalification decision within minutes.
- If you choose to continue the loan process, Figure will still need to approve and accept the loan offer. If accepted, a representative will reach out to schedule either an e-notary session (if available in your area) or an in-person session to complete the paperwork.
To qualify for a HELOC with Figure, make sure you stated requirements:
- Minimum credit score of 620 (720 in Oklahoma). But expect a minimum credit score of 680 for investment properties
- Maximum loan-to-value ratio of 50% if Figure is the first lien on the property
- Maximum combined loan-to-value ratio of 75% if your FICO score is 640-679
- Maximum combined loan-to-value ratio of 80% if your FICO score is 680-759
- Maximum combined loan-to-value ratio of 85% if your FICO score is 760-850
- Maximum combined loan-to-value ratio of 100% if your FICO score is 680 or higher for a 5-year term on a second or third lien on the property
- Debt-to-income ratio of less than 50% — or under 43%, in select cases
- At least two years of credit history
- No delinquencies on current mortgage in last six months
- No foreclosures in the past five years and no collections
- No bankruptcy in last seven years and no undischarged bankruptcies
- Employed with verifiable proof
Your property must also meet eligibility:
- County record showing you as the owner
- Primary residence in eligible state
- Proof of hazard insurance
- Proof of flood insurance for properties in Special Flood Hazard Area Zones A or V
- No more than two existing mortgages or liens on the property
- Single-family residence, townhouse, condo or planned urban development property
- Can be primary or secondary residence
- Ineligible properties: co-ops, commercially-zoned real estate, multi-family (5+) properties, manufactured homes, timeshares, log homes, houseboats, mixed-use properties, duplex properties
Have these documents ready before you apply:
- Government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, state ID or passport
- Proof of homeownership
- Proof of insurance
- Electronically signed mortgage document provided by an e-notary
- Proof of employment
What states are Figure HELOCs available in?
Figure works with borrowers in all states except:
- New York
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
I got the HELOC. Now what?
Make the most of your HELOC with Figure:
- Check to see if you are eligible to take advantage of any discount offers.
- Pay off your loan early with no penalties.
- Consult with a tax advisor to determine if your HELOC is tax-deductible.
- Get help through convenient live chat, email or phone.
Frequently asked questions about Figure home equity loans
Gabrielle Pastorek is the shopping and travel publisher at Finder, helping readers to round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to make sound financial decisions. She's contributed more than 800 articles to the site and is a quoted expert in Best Company and DealNews. She earned an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, with essays and short stories published in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
Figure’s home equity loans offer faster turnaround and minimal fees with competitive APRs. But you won’t get in-person support with this digital disruptor, and loans aren’t available in all 50 states.
If you’d rather apply with a more established lender, compare other home equity loans to find a fit with your property and needs.