Discounts, flexible payments and a “life coach” that guides you to your best rates and coverage.
- Get a quote if you want personalized guidance through the process.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in the Southeast.
- High-risk drivers who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
|States served||Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|Pay schedule||monthly, custom|
|New car protection||No|
- Discounts and savings of 25% or more
- Flexible payment options
- Customized services
- DirectDrive app
- Limited coverage in only 11 states
- Low customer service ratings
- Claims by phone only
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 25%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Who is Direct car insurance best for?
Direct Auto Insurance offers insurance policies to “nonstandard” drivers — also known as high-risk drivers — that may have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere. It can help drivers file for an SR-22, if required for coverage. Regardless of your driving history, Direct is a great choice for high-risk drivers looking for coverage.
Where is Direct Auto available?
Unfortunately, Direct auto insurance is only available in the Southeastern US. However, with over 400 locations across 11 states, you’ll have no problem getting coverage as long as you live in one of the following states:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
What car insurance coverage does Direct Auto Insurance offer?
- Bodily injury liability. Protects you financially if you cause a car accidentthat injures another person.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your carwhen your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Comprehensive coverage.Covers your car from accidents, theft, vandalism and other damage on or off the road.
- Medical payments. This optional coverage pays for medical billsbeyond what your health insurance covers.
- Personal injury protection. Where available, this optional coverage pays for medical bills and indirect costs— like lost wages — from auto accidents.
- Uninsured motorist. Just like it sounds, pays for expenses related to being hit by an uninsured driver or a hit and run.
- Towing, labor and rental reimbursement. Optional coverage for your roadside repairs and the cost of a rental car, if your car is repaired due to an accident.
- Accidental death. Pays you or your beneficiary in the event of accidental death or loss resulting from an accident.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Direct Auto Insurance offer?
Direct offers various types of auto insurance coverage and a number of additional perks. Here are some of the many “pleasant surprises”:
- Text to pay
- Online bill pay
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Emergency Protection Plans
- Toll-free access to friendly agents by phone
- DirectDrive app with mobile proof of insurance, driving tips, and more
- Customizable payments
- E-sign to apply for coverage online
- Mexico auto insurance
What discounts can I get with Direct Auto Insurance?
Direct offers a number of discounts that can help reduce your premiums.
- Military Discount– Up to 25% off: If you are an active service member and can provide documentation proving so.
- Safe Driver Discount – Up to 10% off: If you’re a policy member and have been violation and accident-free for the past three years.
- Good Student Discount – Up to 10% off: If you’re a full-time student in high school, college, or a vocational/technical school, and hold a “B” average or better, fall in the upper 20% of the class, or are on the dean’s list.
- Senior Citizen Discount– Up to 5% off: If you successfully complete a motor vehicle accident prevention course and are 55 or older.
- Multi-Car Discount– Up to 25% off: If your policy covers more than one vehicle.
- Mileage Discount– Up to 5% off: For driving under a certain mileage on an annual basis.
- Multi-Product Discount– Up to 5% off: If you include one or more qualifying products in your auto policy.
- Prior Coverage Discount– Up to 25% off: If you switch from another insurance company that you’d been with for at least 6 months without more than 90 days of lapse in previous coverage.
- Homeowner Discount– Up to 15% off: If you, or your spouse, own a home and keep your vehicles at that address.
- Renewal Discount– Up to 20% off: If you renew your policy within 7 to 10 days of the expiration date and have had no policy lapse in the prior 12 months.
- Welcome Back Discount– Up to 6% off: If you have previously purchased a policy with Direct but have not had one within 6 months of that former policy.
- Affinity Discount– Up to 5% off: If you’re an active member of an organization that has partnered with Direct.
Pros and cons of Direct Auto Insurance
- Discounts. Direct Auto offers discounts to safe drivers, members of the military and more, with additional savings for bundling coverage. They claim to save customers who switch 25% or more.
- Flexible payments. You decide when and how much you’ll pay each month based on your budget. And you can pay online, text, by mail or at one of 400 Direct Auto offices.
- Customized services. A Direct Auto “life coach” guides you through questions to determine how much coverage is right for your needs.
- DirectDrive app. Use your smartphone to monitor your driving behavior, log car trips or access ID cards.
- Limited coverage. Direct Auto Insurance services only 11 states at this time. If you live outside its territory, you’ll have to look elsewhere for coverage.
- Customer service. Online reviews reveal low ratings and complaints with the BBB and National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Claims by phone only. At this time, Direct Auto does not offer the ability to file a claim online or through its app.
How to apply for Direct Auto
In order to apply for coverage with Direct, you’ll first need to visit the homepage.
- Enter your ZIP code, then click “Start now”
- Call the number you’re given to speak with an agent and discuss your auto insurance needs.
- Your agent will help you find a policy and get the coverage you need.
What do customers say about Direct Auto Insurance?
Direct General, the parent company of Direct Auto & Life Insurance is NOT accredited on the official BBB website, but it does hold an A+ rating. However, despite its high rating, there are over 150 total customer complaints, and only 1 of the 20 customer reviews are positive. Many customers are displeased with customer service, rejected claims, and lack of coverage.
While the official BBB website usually offers an accurate representation of a company’s business practices, you should always take customer reviews with a grain of salt. Most customers won’t take the time to report positive experiences, which is often why there are so many more negative reviews.
How to contact Direct Auto?
You can contact Direct a few different ways:
- Online (email)
- Live chat
- Find a store
- By phone: 1-877-463-4732
Customer Service hours of operation
Monday – Friday: 7:30 AM CT – 8:00 PM CT
Saturday: 7:30 AM CT – 5:00 PM CT
Sales hours of operation
Monday – Friday: 7:30 AM CT – 8:00 PM CT
Saturday: 8:00 AM CT – 6:00 PM CT
What is Direct Auto Insurance?
Founded in 1991 and headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, Direct Auto Insurance is a division of the National General Insurance Company. With over 100 locations across the Southeastern US, it offers auto and life insurance with “pleasant surprises” to set it apart from the competition.
In an industry saturated with century-old providers and rigid underwriting guidelines, Direct is a breath of fresh air. Unlike most providers, Direct aims to insure anyone who needs it, regardless of their driving history. This provider’s refreshing attitude towards car insurance has earned it a reputation for low-cost policies with high approval rates and remarkable customer service. From discounts to customer reviews, our Direct auto insurance review covers everything you need to know.
Alternatives to Direct Auto Insurance
Direct Auto can take the frustration out of finding the exact coverage you’re looking for, whether to cover state minimums or protect multiple assets. Its customized service approach extends to higher-risk drivers, who may find it difficult to get coverage at all. However, if you don’t live in one of the 11 states it services or simply want to know what else is out there, you should compare rates and options of other car insurance providers.