Direct Auto car insurance review
Discounts, flexible payments and agents to help you figure out coverage.
finder.com’s rating: 4 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want personalized guidance through the process.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in the Southeast.
- High-risk drivers who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|Pay schedule||monthly, custom|
|New car protection||No|
- Discounts and savings of 25% or more
- Flexible payment options
- Customized services
- DirectDrive app
- Limited coverage in only 11 states
- Low customer service ratings
- Claims by phone only
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 25%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Military discount||Yes, up to 25%|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Unlike most providers, Direct Auto aims to insure anyone who needs it, regardless of their driving history. That earns the insurer a reputation for low-cost policies with high approval rates.
Direct Auto can take the frustration out of finding the exact coverage you’re looking for, whether you’re just meeting state minimums or protecting multiple assets. However, if you don’t live in one of the 11 states it services or don’t qualify as high risk, you might find cheaper rates at a more general insurer.
Where is Direct Auto available?
Unfortunately, Direct auto insurance is only available in the Southeastern US. However, with over 400 locations across 11 states, you’ll have no problem getting coverage if you live in one of the following states:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
What car insurance coverage does Direct Auto Insurance offer?
Direct Auto Insurance offers insurance policies to nonstandard drivers — also known as high-risk drivers — that may have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere. It can help drivers file for an SR-22, if required for coverage. Direct Auto policies include options for:
- Accidental death. Pays you or your beneficiary in the event of accidental death or loss resulting from an accident.
- Bodily injury liability. Protects you financially if you cause a car accident that injures another person.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car when your car hits or is hit by another car.
- Comprehensive coverage. Covers your car from accidents, theft, vandalism and other damage on or off the road that isn’t from a collision.
- Medical payments. This optional coverage pays for medical bills beyond what your health insurance covers.
- Personal injury protection. Where available, this optional coverage pays for medical bills and indirect costs— like lost wages — from auto accidents, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Towing, labor and rental reimbursement. Optional coverage for your roadside repairs, and the cost of a rental car when your car is repaired due to an accident.
- Uninsured motorist. Pays for expenses related to being hit by an uninsured driver or a hit and run.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Direct Auto Insurance offer?
Direct offers a number of add-ons and benefits, including:
- 24/7 roadside assistance add-on
- Customizable payments
- Emergency protection plan add-ons to cover additional medical and mechanical costs
- DirectDrive app with mobile proof of insurance, driving tips and more
- Text to pay
- Mexico auto insurance
What discounts can I get with Direct Auto Insurance?
You may be able to lower your Direct Auto premium with these discounts:
- Affinity. Active members of organizations that partner with Direct can get up to 5% off.
- Good student. Get up to 10% off for being an unmarried full-time student in high school, college or a vocational or technical school and meet Direct’s standards for academic excellence.
- Homeowner. Owning your own home can net you up to 15% off your rate when you keep your car at the home. You may also qualify if your spouse owns the home.
- Mileage. Drive less than the mileage limit every year to save up to 5%.
- Military. Active military service members can snag a 25% discount.
- Multicar. Insure more than one vehicle to cut your premium by 25%.
- Multipolicy. Save up to 5% when you bundle other insurance from Direct with your car insurance.
- Prior coverage. Switch to Direct and save up to 25% when you carried insurance with another company for at least 6 months without a lapse in coverage more than 90 days.
- Renewal. If you avoid a policy lapse for 12 months and renew 7 to 10 days before it expires, you’ll save up to 20%.
- Safe driver. Save up to 10% when you have 36 months of history with Direct that are free from tickets and accidents.
- Senior citizen. Policyholders who are 55 or older can save up to 5% by successfully completing an approved safe-driving course.
- Welcome back. Returning customers can save up to 6% if it’s been six months since they last had a policy with Direct.
Pros and cons of Direct Auto Insurance
- Discounts. Direct Auto offers discounts to safe drivers, members of the military and more, with additional savings for bundling coverage.
- Flexible payments. You decide when and how much you’ll pay each month based on your budget. And you can pay online, text, by mail or at one of 400 Direct Auto offices.
- Customized services. A Direct Auto agent guides you through questions to determine how much coverage is right for your needs.
- DirectDrive app. Use your smartphone to monitor your driving behavior, log car trips or access ID cards.
- Limited coverage. Direct Auto Insurance services only 11 states at this time. If you live outside its territory, you’ll have to look elsewhere for coverage.
- Customer service. Online reviews reveal low ratings and complaints with the BBB and National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Claims by phone only. At this time, Direct Auto doesn’t offer the ability to file a claim online or through its app.
Alternatives to Direct Auto Insurance
How to apply for Direct Auto
In order to apply for coverage with Direct, you’ll first need to go online.
- Go to the Direct Auto website
- Enter your ZIP code, then click Start now
- Call the number you’re given to speak with an agent and discuss your auto insurance needs
- Your agent will help you find a policy and get the coverage you need
What do customers say about Direct Auto Insurance?
Direct General, the parent company of Direct Auto & Life Insurance is accredited on the Better Business Bureau website and holds an A+ rating for its response to customer complaints. However, its customer score sits at just 3.5 stars out of 5 from over 450 reviews. Many customers are displeased with customer service, rejected claims and lack of coverage.
How to contact Direct Auto?
You can contact Direct a few different ways:
- Online by email, 24/7
- In person at a storefront, hours vary based on location
- By phone at 877-463-4732, weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. CT, and Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT
Frequently asked questions about Direct car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.