Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Ford Ranger car insurance rates
Your new truck could spell higher premium.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The new Ranger is a truck that’s somewhat cheap to insure for a pickup but will still cost you over $500 more than a standard sedan. The average insurance costs for a Ford Ranger is $157 a month, or $1,884 a year. With a base price of $24,000, the annual insurance cost–to–base car price ratio is 12.7%, which is higher than the national average of 4%.
Our top pick: Progressive
Get unlimited discounts and score a lower deductible every 6 months you don't make a claim.
- Top-rated insurer with 80 years of experience
- Easy online sign-up and reporting
- Multiple discounts available
- Transparent quoting
- Top-rated insurer
- Online quotes & claims
- Bundle and save
Compare car insurance for your Ford Ranger
How do I compare insurance for the Ranger?
The thrill of owning a brand-new Ranger might waver when you see your above-average insurance rates. By shopping around with insurance providers, you can find the lowest premium you’re eligible for.
Factors that may play into the Ranger’s expected premium:
- Body type. This long-loved car model extends into the trucks of today as a midsize pickup truck, which is the most expensive type of car to insure.
- Fuel. You won’t save much with this truck’s average fuel economy, which is rated at 22 mpg. But that mileage is higher than for other trucks its size.
- Theft rates. This new Ranger hasn’t made enough of a road mark for ratings. But the 2011 model includes a higher theft rate of 34 cars for every 10,000 made.
- Maintenance. This American-grown truck keeps maintenance costs low with no need for special care or high-dollar parts.
- Coverage. You can opt for standard coverage, because this truck is made for duty, not luxury. However, because of the potential for the high theft and mechanical breakdowns in previous models, consider comprehensive and roadside assistance.
- Insurer options. Nearly any insurer will take on your Ranger, leaving you with plenty of providers to compare.
- Warranty. This truck includes a standard warranty at three years or 36,000 miles for bumper-to-bumper coverage and five years or 60,000 miles for the powertrain.
Does the Ford Ranger qualify for discounts?
Yes. Look for discounts on standard safety features that include:
- Antilock brakes
- Antitheft system
- Stability control
- Front impact airbags
- Side impact airbags
- Overhead airbags
How reliable is the Ford Ranger?
It’s hard to pinpoint safety and reliability for newer models on the market. But we can glean some insight from the 2011 Ford Ranger:
- Safety. The 2019 Ranger doesn’t include safety ratings, but the 2011 model received 3 out of 5 stars from the NHTSA.
- Reliability. So far, complaints for the new Ranger involve nonthreatening problems like lit-up engine lights. This truck also has an overall reliability rating of 3 out of 4, although previous model years report some mechanical problems.
- Recalls. No recalls are issued for this year’s truck, but the 2011 model included two that involved taillights and airbags.
The Ford Ranger might haul in a higher premium just because it’s a midsize truck. You can compare several insurance providers to find the hard-working coverage you need. Or try looking at rates for another make or model.
Frequently asked questions about the Ford Ranger
Read more on this topic
Compare the best online car insurance companies Compare the 5 best digital-focused car insurance companies.
Chevrolet Trailblazer car insurance rates This CUV might have higher rates than average unless the new model boosts crash safety.
BMW Alpina XB7 car insurance rates The BMW Alpina XB7 might require a luxury insurance package to get the coverage you need.
Is it illegal to sleep in your car? Some cities ban the practice, but otherwise you can overnight legally at designated parking areas.
Chevrolet Blazer car insurance rates Strong safety ratings help keep insurance rates predictable for the revamped Chevy Blazer.
Compare manual vs. automatic car insurance Cars with stick shifts cost a little less to insure than automatics
How to self-insure your car Self-insurance may not be the money-saver you’re hoping for.
Compare car insurance after a life event When life changes, re-evaluating your policy can help you save on your car insurance premium.
Coronavirus car stories LA drag racing, doggy DUI and premium forgiveness in the response to COVID-19.
Branch car insurance review Jun 2020 Branch auto insurance takes a community-focused approach with friend referral discounts.