Min. credit score
Min. down payment
- Speedy preapproval process. You can get preapproved for a Better mortgage in three minutes.
- Intuitive and online. The mortgage application is entirely online, but you can call for help if needed.
- Fewer fees.. Better doesn't charge application fees or origination fees like many other lenders do.
- Not available in all states. As of September 2020, Better is not licensed to issue mortgages in Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, Vermont or Virginia.
- No brick-and-mortar branches. Better is an online-only lender, meaning you can't speak to a loan officer face-to-face if that's important to you.
- Some loan types aren't available. Better doesn't offer VA or USDA loans, nor does this lender provide mortgages for modular homes, mixed-use properties, co-ops or multi-family homes.
- No home-equity loans or lines of credit.. This lender doesn't offer home equity loans or HELOCs.
|Loan types||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Refinance: 680
All other loans: 620
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|States available||Not available in: HI, MA, MN, NV, NH, VT, VA|