Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare Truist Bank products: Savings, Checking, and CDs
Two banks have merged to offer you a range of products for personal and business use.
Suntrust and BB&T merged to create Truist Bank. The bank offers a range of products for personal and business use. But it’s still predominantly located on the East Coast.
What banking products does Truist Bank offer?
Together, SunTrust and BB&T offer a large suite of checking and savings accounts for individuals and businesses:
- BB&T Fundamentals account. A basic account with no minimum balance or direct deposit requirements, but there’s a $5 monthly fee and it’s not available to Pennsylvania residents.
- BB&T Bright Banking account. Avoid the $12 monthly fee when you direct deposit $500 or more or keep an average daily balance of $1,500.
- BB&T Student Checking account. Designed for students 23 and younger, this account has no monthly fees or minimum requirements.
- BB&T Senior Checking account. If you’re 55 years or older, you’ll enjoy free checks and one early penalty-free CD withdrawal for medical emergencies.
- BB&T Elite Gold Checking account. An interest-bearing account with four non-network ATM transactions per month, but you’ll have to keep $25,000 in combined deposits to avoid its $30 monthly fee.
- SunTrust Balanced Banking account. A basic checking account with 10% cashback when you redeem SunTrust credit card rewards and reduced insufficient funds fee for returned items.
- SunTrust Essential Checking account. You’ll need $100 to open this basic checking and enjoy no monthly fees for the first five years of account opening.
- SunTrust Advantage Checking account. An interest-bearing account with credit card loyalty rewards rates, but you’ll only earn 0.1% in interest.
- BB&T eSavings account. An online-only account with unlimited deposits and withdrawals and no monthly fees or minimum deposits.
- BB&T Young Savers account. Minors can learn the importance of saving with this beginner’s account with no monthly fees.
- SunTrust Essential Savings account. No monthly fees or minimum deposits, but you’ll only earn 0.1% in interest.
- SunTrust Select Savings account. Earns 0.1% interest, but you’ll get an annual 1% bonus when this account is linked to a SunTrust checking account.
- BB&T High Performance Money Market account. Offers tiered interest rates, checkwriting privileges and unlimited withdrawals and deposits at BB&T branches and ATMs, but you’ll need $1,000 to open an account.
- SunTrust Advantage Money Market Savings account. You’ll need to maintain $10,000 to avoid the $17 monthly fee.
- SunTrust CD. Offers no monthly fees and fixed interest rates for variable term lengths, but you’ll need $2,000 to get started.
- BB&T Investor’s Deposit account. Requires a $10,000 minimum balance, but comes with checkwriting privileges, tiered interest rates and unlimited deposits, withdrawals and transfers at BB&T branches and ATMs.
- BB&T Health Savings account. Those with a high deductible health care plan can save with a tax-advantaged HSA.
- SunTrust Simple Business Checking account. Includes one personal Advantage Checking account for one business owner, 50 transactions and $2,000 in monthly cash processing.
- SunTrust Primary Business Checking account. You’ll get one personal Advantage Checking account and the ability to process up to $5,000 in cash and 150 transactions monthly.
- SunTrust Business Advantage Plus Checking account. Ideal for those with high monthly transaction volumes, this account features two additional Business Advantage Plus accounts, one personal Advantage Checking account and free fraud protection services.
- SunTrust Business CDs. Offers tiered interest rates and multiple terms to suit your business needs.
- SunTrust Business Advantage Money Market account. Keep $500 in your account to avoid the monthly maintenance fee.
- Mortgages. Offers mortgages for a full spectrum of borrowers.
- Loans. Choose from private student, auto and small business loans as well as lines of credit.
- Credit cards. Choose from a range of credit cards, including SunTrust Business Cash Rewards, SunTrust Secured with cash rewards, BB&T Bright and other BB&T secured credit cards.
- IRAs. Save for retirement with an IRA through Truist Bank.
- Investing. Investing in stocks, bonds, mutual funds and more.
Why should I open an account at Truist Bank?Truist Bank offers traditional perks like online and mobile banking, FDIC-insured deposits and a debit card, as well as:
- Minimal fees. Some of BB&T’s checking and savings accounts have minimal to no fees for those just starting out.
- Varying minimum deposits. Choose from basic accounts with $0 minimum balances to premium accounts with $10,000.
- Multiple locations. SunTrust and BB&T have thousands of locations scattered across the East Coast.
- Variety. Choose from 27 different checking and savings accounts across SunTrust and BB&T.
What should I look out for?
If you’re considering an account with Truist Bank, watch out for these drawbacks:
- Low APYs. Most interest-bearing accounts earn a low 0.1% APY.
- Companies are still separate. Although BB&T and SunTrust have merged, you’ll still have to bank with each company separately.
- Regional locations. SunTrust and BB&T are located in the East Coast, so it may not appeal to Midwest or West Coast residents.
- Some accounts must be opened in person. You may need to visit a branch to open some accounts, making it more difficult to bank with Truist if you don’t live in the East Coast.
Compare Truist Bank to the competition
Truist Bank customer service
You’ll need to contact either BB&T or SunTrust depending on which institution you opened an account with:
BB&T customer service
To speak with a representative from BB&T:
- Call 800-226-5228 daily from 6 a.m. to midnight ET.
- Visit a local branch in person.
- Send a secure message through the online banking portal.
- Tweet @BBT.
SunTrust customer service
To speak with a representative from SunTrust:
- Call 800-786-8787.
- Visit a local branch near you.
- Send a secure message through the online banking portal.
- Send a letter via US Mail to:
PO Box 85024
Richmond, VA 23285-5024
If you’re looking for a large bank with a wide variety of products, Truist Bank may be a good fit. But if you want an account with higher interest rates, shop around for higher yields.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Help your child learn to spend and save wisely with a virtual, COPPA-compliant debit card.
Fast track your savings goals with this automation and budgeting app.
Upgrade Card review
The fee-free Upgrade Card offers 1.5% cash back, but it lacks many standard benefits.
Keeper Tax review
Maximize your tax savings by having this 1099 expense tracker categorize business purchases for you.
First Foundation Bank Online Savings Account review
No monthly fees and a competitive APY from this high-yield savings account.
Netspend Small Business Prepaid card review
This business account supports in-person payments and lets you manage employee spending.
Save Market Savings account Review
With this savings account, you can invest your interest in the stock market for an average 3.13% return. Learn more here.
Live Oak Bank Business Savings account review
This online-only business savings account lets you build your savings with a high APY and no fees.
NBKC Business Checking Review
Open a business checking account and enjoy no transaction or maintenance fees.
Ponce Bank High Yield Savings account review
Earn 0.5% on your total account balance — no strings attached.