We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
TD Bank’s suite of accounts
This east coast provider offers expanded hours for convenient accessibility.
If you live in a state that it services, TD Bank can be a one-stop shop for your personal financial needs. Checking and savings accounts are tiered and more perks are awarded for higher balances, though maintenance fees can get steep.
What banking products does TD Bank offer?
How does it compare to other banks or services?TD Bank is ranked 7th in the nation for total number of domestic deposits, landing just beneath Capital One and US Bank. Its tagline is “America’s Most Convenient Bank,” and has extended hours on weekends and evenings to help substantiate that claim.
Compared to other national banks, it has the 8th most physical locations. If you live in a state on the east coast, you’ll have access to over 1,300 branch locations and 1,900 ATMs from Maine to Florida.
Compare TD Bank to the competition
Why should I open an account at TD Bank?TD Bank has a lot to offer east coast dwellers, including:
- Emphasis on convenience. Exact hours are location-specific, but most spots are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays. These extended hours offer greater flexibility, since most banks close at noon on Saturdays and remain closed on Sundays. Plus, customer service is available by phone 24/7.
- Access for people with disabiltiies. Its ATMs were designed to meet wheelchair height and reach requirements. Likewise, all newer stores are equipped to fit the navigational needs of wheelchairs. It also has telecommunication relay services for callers who are Deaf, hard-of-hearing, blind or speech-impaired.
- Tiered rates encourage savings. Interest increases as you put money away, an added perk that can help incentivize savings.
What should I look out for?
Like any competitor, TD Bank has its drawbacks. Before signing up, be sure to consider:
- Complicated fee structures. If you’re younger than 24 or older than 61, getting the monthly fee waived requires you to maintain a somewhat hefty balance, and for its Simple Checking account you’re stuck paying the $5.99 no matter what.
- Limited national presence. Even if the east coast is your home base, if you travel regularly TD Bank‘s regional limitations could be inconvenient.
- Less competitive APY on savings accounts. Even at its highest rates, TD Bank‘s savings account APYs don’t top 1%, which means it isn’t the most competitive option on the market.
TD Bank reviews and complaints
The BBB gave it an A+ rating, and it’s been officially accredited there since 2002. An average of 25 customer reviews average out to just one star, but that’s pretty normal for complaints about similarly sized banks. There are about 9,700 complaints on the CFPB website, but nearly all of them indicate a timely response.
It’s a member of the FDIC, and the FFIEC has reviewed most branch locations as “outstanding” or “satisfactory.” In 2018, it was rated the Best Bank for Seniors by Money Magazine, and it tied for #1 in Global Finance World’s list of 50 Safest Commercial Banks.
TD Bank customer service
Get support from TD Bank through one of the below:
- Phone: For online banking support, call 888-751-9000, open 24/7.
- Facebook Messenger: Send a general question or comment through the social network’s IM.
- Branch: Make an appointment online or drop in to a branch location for face-to-face service.
- Twitter: Send a DM to @TDBank_US.