Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare NBKC Bank products: Savings, Checking, and CDs
It may not be a household name, but there’s a reason why this bank has sky-high customer satisfaction.
Updated . What changed?
What banking products does NBKC Bank offer?NBKC Bank offers a suite of banking products for personal and business use, all with online banking access.
- Everything Account. Previously known as the NBKC Personal Account, this checking and savings combo has an APY of 0.8% and comes with tools to help you better manage your money.
- Personal Money Market Savings. This account earns a competitive 0.9% APY on all balances and requires a low $5 opening deposit.
- NBKC CD. Meet your long-term savings goals with the help of NBKC’s personal CDs that range from three to 60 months. They require a $1,000 opening balance, and interest rates starting at 0.35% APY for the 3-month CD and go up to 0.9% APY for the 60-month CD.
- NKBC Add-to Starter CD. Open this CD with as little as $0 and watch your money grow at 0.8% APY for one year.
- Business Account. NBKC Bank has a single business account. Open with as little as $0 and enjoy no monthly fees and unlimited deposits and account support.
- Business Money Market Savings. Open this account with a minimum $5 deposit, and start earning interest as your balance grows. The interest rate is 0.8% APY on all balances.
- NBKC Business CDs. With terms ranging from 14 days to 60 months, you can easily access your money once the CD matures. The minimum opening deposit is $1,000, and rates start at 0.25% APY for a 14-day CD and go up to 0.9% APY for a 60-month CD.
- NBKC Visa Card. The bank offers a variety of credit cards, including cashback and travel rewards options. With these cards, you can access cash at ATMs worldwide, and you’re not responsible for unauthorized charges if your Visa is lost or stolen.
Compare NBKC Bank products
Why should I open an account at NBKC Bank?
- No minimum balance required. You don’t need to maintain a minimum balance on personal or business accounts.
- Account incentives. Most accounts come with limited fees, plus you can score cashback rewards with many of its debit and credit cards.
- Sophisticated online and mobile banking. Manage your account, set alerts, deposit checks and make and stop payments online or on the app.
- Live chat with customer support. NBKC Bank offers help via live chat on its website during business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT. Customers can also call 800-528-2273 at any time to report a lost or stolen card.
- Complimentary access to MoneyPass ATMs. Use any of the 32,000 ATMs scattered around the US for free.
- Monthly refunds on ATM fees. If you’re not near a MoneyPass ATM, rest easy knowing you’ll earn up to $12 in monthly refunds for ATM fees charged by other banks.
What should I look out for?
- Few physical branches. While anyone in the US can set up an online account with NBKC Bank, the only physical branches are in the Kansas City area. If you prefer face-to-face communication with your bank, this may not be the right one for you.
- Limited customer service times. The customer service team is only available during office hours on weekdays, which means any pressing issues will have to wait until the next business day.
- Expensive wire transfers. The bank charges $5 to send domestic wires and $45 for international wires. You won’t pay anything to receive transfers from within the US, though international wires cost $45.
What do regulators and customers say?NBKC Bank is an FDIC-insured, full-service bank. Along with insurance, it protects your money with the help of sophisticated security systems, including multifactor authentication. You’ll have to authorize any high-risk transactions, and you can download NBKC’s Detect Safe Browsing app for free.
According to the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC), NBKC Bank has a satisfactory Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) rating, which it earned in May 2017.
The bank is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and boasts an A+ rating for its customer service and interactions as of September 2018. From 853 customer reviews, it scored an average five-star review rating. And in the past three years, just two complaints were registered with the BBB — both of which were related to mortgage lending and NBKC Bank quickly solved the issues.
The reviews are overwhelmingly positive on consumer websites, too. Customers praise the personalized customer service and appreciate how easy it is to open a business or personal account. While some account holders lament the lack of physical branches, others say the bank’s tech-savvy team and online and mobile banking tools bridge that gap.
Compare NBKC Bank to the competitionNBKC Bank holds $432.7 million in deposits across its four US branches. While it isn’t in the top 50 bank holding companies in the country, it’s financially strong and boasts $631.5 million in assets. In the industry, the bank is best known for its mortgage lending and has amassed an impressive $411.9 million in loans and leases. As of December 31, 2017, it recorded a return on average investments (ROA) of 1.73% — which sits comfortably above the national average of 1%.
Thanks to these stats, NBKC Bank is a solid choice for personal and business banking. It appears to be most popular with consumers in the two states it has a physical presence: Kansas and Missouri.
If we had to use one word to describe NBKC Bank’s approach to banking, it’d be “streamlined.” You won’t find lengthy account names. Instead, the bank has a single personal and business account and offers flexibility with its CDs and credit cards. It has impressive customer reviews, though if you live outside of Kansas and Missouri, just know there won’t be a physical bank branch in your state.
Before signing the dotted line, compare your options with our comprehensive guide to bank accounts.
Frequently asked questions about NBKC Bank
Read more on this topic
Second stimulus check: Will I qualify? A second wave of stimulus checks could be making their way to US taxpayers.
Best banks and credit unions in Texas Explore our top five picks for best banks in the Lone Star State.
Best banks and credit unions in New York Check out the five best places to store your money in the Empire State.
Stimulus check: How much you'll get and when 7 tips on smart ways you can think about using your stimulus check. Description on our main page that summarizes what the article is about.
Best banks and credit unions in California We’ve rounded up the best five places to store your money as a California resident.
What is an ACH transfer? What to expect when you transfer money to a bank account through an ACH transfer
Aspiration banking products: Savings, Checking, and CDs Aspiration Bank gives you control over your monthly fees with 1% APY on savings.
Community First Credit Union banking products: Savings, Checking, and CDs Community First Credit Union offers big-bank account features to a limited Northeast Florida membership.
Compare CD vs. savings account Compare pros, cons, interest rates, features, fees and more.
Compare CD vs. bond Explore the differences between CDs and bonds to learn which is right for you.
Ask an Expert