Ando Spending Account review
Reduce your carbon footprint and enjoy no monthly fees with this ethical bank account.
finder.com’s rating: 4.3 / 5.0
The Ando Spending Account offers no monthly fees, no minimum balance requirements and an optional savings account that earns 0.17% APY. Because it’s offered by an ethical bank, your money will go toward initiatives that reduce your carbon footprint and fight climate change. But you’ll have no joint account options and it limits your maximum account balance at $50,000.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Ando Spending Account is best for anyone who wants an ethical bank account that works to reduce your carbon footprint, fight climate change and avoid fossil fuels. It comes with a debit card made of 80% less plastic and an in-app Impact Center that helps you track your impact on the environment.
You’ll also get access to an optional savings account that earns 0.17% APY — perfect for stashing away money for an emergency fund, vacation or any other big purchases you have coming up.
But Ando Spending Account doesn’t offer joint accounts — which means you can’t open this with a partner or family member — and you can’t keep more than $50,000 in the account at any given time.
How do I open an Ando Spending Account?
Open your Ando Spending Account in five steps.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the provider site, choose Get Started Now.
- Enter your full name, phone number, email address and password. Select Next.
- Enter your six-digit verification code and hit Next.
- Enter your home address and select Next.
- Follow the prompts to finish setting up your account.
You’ll receive your Ando debit card in the mail within two to nine business days. Once you receive it, use the mobile app or call 844-960-3939 to activate your card.
Open an account when you meet these requirements.
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Valid Social Security number or Tax Identification Number
Ando will ask for this information when you set up your account.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Social Security number or Tax Identification Number
- Government-issued photo ID number
What are the benefits of an Ando Spending Account?
Your Ando banking account comes with a Visa debit card made of 80% less plastic, plus these benefits.
- Green bank. Ando uses its money for green initiatives that fund clean energy and sustainable agriculture and avoid fossil fuels.
- Minimal fees. There are no monthly or overdrafts fees — Ando declines any purchase that would bring your balance below $0. But non-network ATMs cost $2.95.
- P2P payments. Use Ando’s Pay Friends feature to send and receive money from fellow Ando users.
- Impact Center. This in-app feature lets you calculate your carbon reduction, see a breakdown of how Ando is using your money to fight climate change and connect with friends who also use Ando.
- Optional savings account. As an Ando banking customer, you’ll get access to a free optional savings account that earns 0.16% APY.
What should I look out for?
As with most online bank accounts, Ando doesn’t accept cash deposits. It also has these potential downsides.
- Maximum account balance. You’re capped at a $50,000 balance in your Ando Spending Account at any one time, which is lower than other banks as most don’t have a limit.
- No paper checks. There’s no mobile deposit feature, which is unusual for most online banks.
- No joint accounts. Ando doesn’t support joint accounts and you can’t request any secondary debit cards.
If you’re looking for an account with a higher balance limit, explore your checking account options.
Ando’s ATM network and fees
Ando is a part of the MoneyPass ATM network, which gives you free access to over 34,000 ATMs nationwide. But if you use an ATM outside of this network, you’ll pay $2.95 plus operating fees.
You’ll also pay $2.95 if you withdraw cash over the counter. These fees are pretty standard compared to other banks.
Compare Ando Spending Account with other checking accounts
Use this table to see how Ando’s fees, ATM network and deposits compare to other popular checking accounts.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Here are all the ways you can access money in your Ando banking account.
- Direct deposits
- P2P transfers
- Linked bank account
- ACH transfer
- At an ATM
- Cash back at a retailer
- P2P transfer
- Linked bank account
- ACH transfer
How do I contact Ando customer service?
Ando customer service operates seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET. Reach them in two ways:
- Call 844-960-3939
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.