Looking to treat yourself every month? A beauty subscription box is super affordable and a great way to try all the latest products. Read more…
Subscription service statistics
Are subscription services delivering?
Subscription services are a great way of getting the most from your favourite brands, whether it’s free next-day delivery from Amazon Prime or getting healthy snacks delivered to your door with Graze. We’ve explored the latest statistics to see how many Brits are subscribed to services such as these in 2019.
- Brits spend more than £2 billion every year on subscription services.
- The subscription box market is estimated to grow by 77% to be worth over £1 billion by 2022.
- More than 1 in 4 Brits (27.4%) were subscribed to at least one subscription box service in 2018.
- A recent survey suggests that over 60% of adults in Britain are subscribed to the Amazon Prime subscription service.
- The average Brit spends £60 per year on subscription services.
It’s predicted that Brits spend more than £2 billion every year on the overall subscription market, with over 60% of us Brits subscribed to retail giant Amazon’s Prime service. We looked at the latest reports to see which subscription services are Brit’s favourites.
What services are we subscribed to?
A survey of 1,000 Brits revealed that Amazon Prime is the most subscribed to service, but which other companies make the top five list?
Healthy snack subscription service Graze comes in second place, with just over 1 in 10 Brits (12.3%) being subscribed to this service. Making up the rest of the top five are Nextunlimited (9.7%), Pact Coffee (8.5%) and beauty subscription Glossybox (7.8%).
|Service||Number of Brits subscribed|
Subscription boxes are a great way of getting your favourite goods delivered straight to your door whenever you want them. Whether it’s food ingredients or a fresh new pair of socks, there’s a subscription box for just about everything! The latest stats from Royal Mail suggest that the subscription box market is expected to be worth over £1 billion in 2022 – a 77% increase from 2017 figures (£583 million).
- 1 in 4 Brits (27.4%) are signed up to a subscription box in the UK.
- These subscriptions are most popular amongst 25-34 year olds, with over half (52.1%) signed up to at least one service.
- 11.7% of 55-64 year olds are subscribed to one of these services and only 7.6% of those over 65 have a subscription box service.
- Subscription boxes are more popular with males than females, with 30% of men subscribed compared to 24% of women.
- It’s anticipated that male grooming subscriptions will see the biggest growth of any subscription category, reaching 2 million members by 2022.
Subscription boxes for businesses
With the demand for subscription boxes on the rise, how many companies are planning to jump on the bandwagon and introduce their own subscription box service?
The latest report from the Post Office reveals that over half (58%) of businesses plan on investing in new or existing subscription boxes in the next year. Cited by 45% of businesses, the key motivation for introducing a subscription box service was driving greater brand loyalty.
Reasons businesses start subscription services
The top motivations cited for starting a subscription service were as follows:
|Reason||Percentage of businesses|
|Drive greater brand loyalty||44.8%|
|Desire for greater control (distribution)||34.5%|
|Control of marketing and promotion||24.1%|
|Lower start-up costs||24.1%|
- Royal Mail Group
Click here for more research. For all media enquiries, please contact:
Want to slim down, get stronger or just improve your health? Meal prepping is a great way to help you on the way to a good diet. Read more…
Solve all your shaving problems with a razor subscription from FFS. Get great deals and save monthly with our tested and approved discount and promo codes! Read more…
Save on your next Gousto purchase with one of our discount codes. Hurry - these deals never last long. Read more…
Pick up a great discount with one of our codes and save on your next Lookfantastic order. Hurry - these voucher codes never last long. Read more…
Compare voucher codes for Flavourly's craft beer subscription boxes. Read more…
Ask an Expert