Bennetts motorbike insurance review
Looking to cover your modified motorbike for an off-road adventure? Here's our analysis of the specialised motorbike insurance on offer through Bennetts.
Bennetts says it can tailor policies to suit an extensive range of riders and their bikes, and will provide 90 days of EU cover cover and up to 16 standard modifications at no extra cost. We’ve checked out this 5-star Defaqto-rated bike insurance broker – here’s what you need to know.
Who is Bennetts?
Bennetts is a specialist bike insurance broker that was established in 1930 and bought by Saga Group in 2015 (but is run independently). It can source insurance for a range of riders and their bikes – whether that’s young riders or classic, custom and modified bikes.
What are Bennetts’ levels of cover?
Bennetts offers the three standard types of motorbike cover but these policies can be customised to suit you.
The legal minimum level of cover required in the UK, third party protects you if your motorbike is involved in an accident and ends up damaging another vehicle (and it covers any injuries to someone else). What it won’t cover is the costs related to repairing your bike or medical bills relating to personal injuries.
Third party, fire and theft
You’ll get protection if you’re in an accident that damages or injures a third party and their property, and you’ll have cover if your bike is destroyed by fire or even stolen. Be aware that although this provides slightly more cover, you still won’t have any protection for damage to your bike or personal injuries after an accident.
You’ll get the most cover with this. It provides the same protection as third party fire and theft but it will cover your bike if it’s damaged after an accident, provide money for a new bike if yours is declared a write off and cover you for any personal injuries. It’s always worth checking the cost of comprehensive as it can be cheaper than TP or TPFT.
What types of motorbike insurance are available?
- Classic bike insurance
- Adventure bike insurance
- Young rider bike insurance
- Multi-bike insurance
- Custom and modified bike insurance
What is covered under my motorbike policy with Bennetts?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||✓||✓|
|90 days EU cover||✓||✓||✓|
|16 standard modifications cover||✓||✓||✓|
|Riding other bikes cover||✓||✓||✓|
|Permanently fixed accessories (panniers, grab rails and sports racks)||✓||✓|
|Uninsured driver promise||✓|
|New bike replacement within 6 months of buying it new||✓|
|Lock and key cover||✓|
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Bennetts offers a range of optional extras to provide increased protection in certain areas. Some of the additional cover options to bolt onto a Bennetts policy are:
- Breakdown cover
- Helmet and leathers cover
- Legal expenses cover
- Personal accident cover
Customers can choose Bennetts Ultimate cover package if they would like all four of the above optional extras, which could reward them with up to 70% off the price of the additional cover options.
Any motorbike cover offered by Bennetts is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- You change the use of your motorbike from its original use. For example, changing from social, domestic and pleasure to business use.
- Your motorbike is being used by an unnamed rider on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid motorcycle licence.
- You are paid to carry pillions.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You change your motorbike during the policy term to a motorbike that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your motorbike insurance policy through Bennetts
- Increasing security. If your motorbike is not currently fitted with an alarm, think about adding one to reduce your premium.
- Having a secure location to park your motorbike. Motorbikes kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Fewer riders. Only add riders to your policy that regularly ride your motorbike.
- Ride safely. Safer drivers spend less on motorbike insurance – a history of speeding tickets or claims against your insurance will increase the cost.
- Larger excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Bennetts?
You can call Bennetts on 0330 018 9166 to register a claim. This 24-hour claims line is open 7 days a week.
You will need to provide your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident and claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident within 24 hours, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Top 50 UK insurance companies Here's our list of the top insurance providers in the UK, and how you can contact them.
John Lewis Insurance promo code Get a big discount on John Lewis insurance by using these discount and promo codes.
Endsleigh discount codes You could save on a range of insurance policies with our Endsleigh insurance discount codes.
Aviva discount codes Need to get insurance? You can save money with our Aviva discount codes. Apply now.
Just Travel Cover travel insurance discount codes You could save money on travel insurance with these Just Travel Cover insurance discount codes.
esure discount codes You can use these esure discount codes and promos to get a better deal on insurance.
More Than discount codes January 2020 Whether it's for travel insurance or pet insurance, see what you could save with these More Than insurance discount codes.
M&S Insurance discount codes January 2020 Get the latest M&S Insurance discounts codes and see if you can save on home or car insurance today.
Boots travel insurance promo codes January 2020 Planning your next trip? See what you can save on Boots travel insurance with these discount codes.
Age Co discount codes January 2020 You could save money on your Age Co insurance by using these discount codes.