125cc motorbike insurance

Find out whether you need insurance for your 125cc bike, what it includes and how to save on your policy.

A 125cc motorbike is one of the smallest bikes you can buy and this also means it can be cheap to insure, making it a cost-effective way to get around. Anyone aged 17 or over can ride one of these bikes, even those who haven’t yet passed their full riding licence. It’s a popular choice for those new to riding. However, just because you don’t need full licence, this doesn’t mean you don’t need insurance, tax or your CBT. Here we look at the best way to insure one of these bikes, so you don’t end up paying over the odds for your policy.

Do you have to have insurance on a 125cc bike?

Yes. All vehicles must have at least third party only cover to be driven on UK roads. A 125cc motorbike may be small, but it’s still classed as a vehicle, so insurance is a must. Riding one without insurance could result in a fine or even prosecution.

What levels of cover can I get with a 125cc bike?

The same levels of cover are available for a 125cc motorbike as for any other motorcycle or car:

  • Third party only. This is the minimum level of cover that all UK drivers are required to have by law. Often the cheapest option, it only protects you if you cause harm to other people or their property and doesn’t protect your motorcycle against any type of damage.
  • Third party, fire and theft. This policy offers all the same benefits as third party cover, as well as protection for your bike against fire and theft. It can be a good option if your motorbike is old and might not be worth repairing in case you have an accident.
  • Comprehensive. This is the most complete form of insurance you can get, so if you’re looking for top cover, this is the option for you. Specifications vary by provider, but comprehensive motorbike insurance covers you for most eventualities, except for those outlined in your policy exclusions.

How much does it cost to insure a 125cc?

This will vary by provider, as well as the rider’s personal details, such as age, location and driving experience. Certain details about the bike will also affect the cost including the mileage and age.

The best way to find the right policy for you is to compare quotes based on your personal circumstances. Never go for the first quote you’re given and always make sure you’re picking a policy based not just on cost but on what’s included in it.

Can you get insured on a 125cc bike without passing your test?

You can get insurance without passing your theory and practical motorcycle test, but you do have to complete Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) before you can take out a policy and you need to have your provisional licence.

Riding any size motorbike on public roads without CBT and a valid insurance policy is illegal.

Can I get 125cc insurance on a provisional licence?

Yes. You’ll need to pass your CBT and take out an insurance policy for your bike, but you will then be able to ride a 125cc on a provisional licence indefinitely.

You’ll have to display an L plate and you won’t be able to ride on the motorway or carry a passenger. You’ll also need to re-take CBT every two years.

Insuring your motorbike on a provisional licence is usually more expensive than if you’ve passed your test, because insurers see you as a higher risk, so it might be worth splashing out on the test. This might end up cheaper in the long run.

Can I get 125cc insurance specifically to do my CBT?

When you do your CBT, you’ll do it on your bike with an instructor. This means you need to have insurance in place before you set out on the bike.

You can either: use a bike from the CBT centre or use your own bike. Whichever you choose, make sure your insurer is covering you for the training.

In some cases you will only be covered while you’re out with an instructor, so you’ll need to ask them to accompany you from home. Otherwise you’ll need to arrange for your bike to be brought to the centre on another vehicle such as a trailer.

Once I pass my CBT, will I have to update my bike insurance?

When you pass your test, you should tell your insurer. It might reduce your premiums, but it also needs to know you can ride on the motorway and carry passengers now.

Note that insurance to carry passengers isn’t always included as standard in motorbike insurance policies, so you might want to add this to your cover.

How can I get a cheaper rate on my 125cc motorbike insurance?

With insurance for a 125cc bike there are lots of options to choose from. This means you need to spend some time finding a policy that fits your needs, but also that you find one which is a reasonable price. There are a few tips you can follow to knock the price down including the following:

  • Tweak the excess: The excess is the amount of money you’ll need to pay if you make a claim on your policy. If you choose a higher excess, the monthly amount you need to pay will usually be lowered – although this is only an option if you can afford the excess amount should you have to claim.
  • Compare prices: This is one of the most important things to do in order to drive down the price. Insurers are competing for your custom so make sure you shop around before signing on the dotted line.
  • Pay annually: If you choose to pay annually instead of monthly, you will usually save money. This is because with monthly payments you’ll have to pay interest on top.
  • Lock your bike up: A bike on the road for everyone to admire is going to be a higher risk of theft, while a bike locked safely away will be a lower risk and therefore will be cheaper to insure.

Bottom line

A 125cc motorbike is a great option if you’re just starting out or if you’re looking for a lighter bike that’s cheaper to insure.

You’ll need to pass your CBT to ride your 125cc bike, but you can ride on a provisional licence indefinitely. This would mean you can’t ride on the motorway or carry passengers. It may end up being more expensive in the long run.

The cost of your cover will depend on factors including your age and driving experience, so make sure you compare policies to find the best motorbike policy for you.

Frequently asked questions


Written by

Danny Butler

Danny is a publisher at Finder specialising in insurance and investing. He previously worked at the global insurer Aon and has appeared in national media giving advice on insurance. Danny holds a BA in International Business from the University of Plymouth and has undying loyalty to his average-poor football team, Portsmouth FC. See full profile

More guides on Finder

Go to site