50cc motorbike insurance

Here we look at the best way to buy 50cc motorbike insurance.

Whatever bike you’ve chosen, from a retro scooter to a top-of-the-range sportster, you can ride a 50cc motorbike when you turn 16 and they’re one of the cheapest bikes on the market. While you can start riding one before you’ve taken a full test, you do need to make sure you have the right kind of 50cc motorbike insurance for it and it’s worth comparing prices to make sure you’re not getting ripped off.

What is a 50cc bike?

You’ve just turned 16 and while you’re too young to get behind the wheel of a car, you are legally able to start driving a motorbike. A 50cc motorbike is the first choice for most riders, as it’s the only one those aged 16 can ride due to its small engine which can only reach 30mph.

These bikes come in many different styles, and the most popular according to Bennetts, is the Lexmoto Hunter 50 which is priced at £1,099. Bikes of this size are some of the cheapest on the market and if you’re looking for 50cc bike insurance for 16-year-old bikers, there are a lot of options to choose from.

Do I need to buy 50cc bike insurance?

Yes, you need to have bike insurance before you ride your bike, no matter what size it is.

You can apply for your provisional moped licence when you turn 16 and start driving a 50cc bike although there are a few other rules you need to follow before you can set off including the following.

  • You’ll need to have arranged both insurance and tax for your motorbike.
  • When you go out on your bike you need to have L plates.
  • You will need to have your provisional motorbike licence.
  • You will need to have passed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), which needs to be taken every two years until you have a full licence (driving without one can result in a £1,000 fine and points on your licence).
  • You can’t ride with any passengers on your bike.

What kind of insurance do you need for a 50cc bike with a provisional licence?

You need to make sure you have insurance before you head out on your bike. This is required by law and it’s worth getting it set up well in advance of your first time on the road.

Once you’ve got your provisional licence, you can take your CBT and you’re then allowed to ride a 50cc motorbike (as long as you’re following the rules listed above).

When you have the provisional licence you can start training for your full licence, and take the theory and practical tests when you’re ready. However, if you fail either of these, you will need to take the CBT again (every two years) to be able to stay on the road.

While insurance for a 50cc motorbike is relatively cheap because it’s such a small bike and can’t go very fast, riders without a full licence can expect to pay higher fees than those who have one. This is because insurers deem learner riders as a bigger risk of having an accident when they’re out on the road.

What are the different levels of insurance available?

Insurance policies for motorbike drivers, and car drivers, are separated into three categories depending on the level of cover you’re after. The cheapest is third-party only, which gives very basic cover. The most expensive, but also the most comprehensive policy, is called fully comprehensive.

  • Third party only. This is the cheapest option because it provides the least amount of cover. It only provides protection for costs incurred by another person or vehicle that is involved in an accident caused by you. With this policy an insurer will pay out these costs, but you will have to stump up the cash to pay for any damage to your bike.
  • Third party, fire and theft. A step up from the basic policy above, as the name says you’ll also be covered if your bike is stolen or damaged by fire if you choose this level of cover.
  • Comprehensive. The all-bells-and-whistles level of cover which will cover any costs to you or another driver, and both your vehicles, if you’re in an accident.

What extras can you add to a 50cc motorbike insurance policy?

Insurers decide what goes into their policies but you can usually pay a little extra for the following to be added to a policy.

  • Legal expenses cover. If you have an accident while you’re out on your bike and you need to make a legal claim against another person, or someone makes one against you, this covers all the legal costs involved.
  • Helmet and leathers cover. It can be expensive if you need to replace your helmet and leathers, this cover protects them up to a limit.
  • Breakdown cover. If you break down while you’re out on your bike, this cover means your insurer will send someone out to rescue you, and you won’t be left stranded at the side of the road.
  • Personal accident cover. If you’re involved in an accident you’ll receive a lump sum of money.

How to cut the cost of insurance for a 50cc bike

There are lots of policies available for insuring a 50cc bike and you don’t need to go with the first one you’re offered. In fact, it’s well worth shopping around to make sure you’re getting the best price, and the best policy, for you. The following should also help you knock the price down.

  • Pay yearly instead of monthly. When you buy insurance you’re usually given two options, paying in one go for the year or making monthly payments. Choosing to pay in one go, if you can, is almost always cheaper as you’ll need to pay interest if you go for the monthly option.
  • Compare prices. As with any kind of insurance, it’s always worth comparing prices from a few different insurers before you sign on the dotted line.
  • Park your bike somewhere safe. The cost of your insurance is likely to be lower if your bike is somewhere out of sight, and not on the road where it’s more at risk of being stolen.
  • Increase the excess. If you’re prepared to pay a higher excess, you will usually be able to buy a policy with lower monthly payments. Although you need to make sure you can afford the excess if you did have to pay it.
  • Get your full licence. Some insurers will see you as a bigger risk on the road if you still have your provisional licence so it may be worth getting a full licence to lower your costs.

Bottom line

If you’ve spent your life dreaming about getting behind two wheels and riding off into the sunset, this dream can become a reality when you turn 16 (or your child does!) and you’re legally able to drive a 50cc bike.

However, to make sure that dream doesn’t become a financial or legal nightmare, it’s important you take the time to find the right insurance policy, and you make sure you’re following all the rules of the road before heading out.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Go to site