Read our review of Legal & General’s Silver and Gold home insurance.
Legal & General’s home insurance comes in silver and gold levels, with the higher gold level policy being 5* Defaqto-rated. While buildings and contents insurance can be combined, they can also be bought separately to suit a range of requirements. Policies can also be enhanced with additional cover options that include personal possessions cover, accidental damage and family legal protection cover.
What’s more, existing customers that don’t make a claim in the first year can enjoy premiums that won’t increase for the second year. Here’s what else we think you should know about Legal & General.
Compare home insurance
Who is Legal & General?
Legal & General was founded in 1836 and has developed into one of Europe’s biggest insurance groups offering a wide range of insurance products including home, travel, pet, homeshare and landlord insurance. It also offers other financial products such as mortgages, investments and retirement options.
What are Legal & General’s cover options?
Legal & General offers two different types of home insurance. These are Silver home insurance and Gold home insurance.
Both of these options include buildings and contents insurance. However, buildings insurance and contents insurance can also be bought separately or combined as needed.
What is covered under my policy?
|Cover features||Silver home insurance||Gold home insurance|
|Buildings sum insured||£1.5 million||£1.5 million|
|Accidental damage cover||x||Yes|
|Trace and access of leaks||x||Up to £5,000|
|Property owners’ liability||Yes||Yes|
|Contents sum insured||£150,000||£150,000|
|Up to £30,000 for high-risk items||Maximum of £10,000 per item||Maximum of £10,000 per item|
|Up to £10,000 business equipment||Yes||Yes|
|Theft from outbuildings||Up to £2,500||Up to £5,000|
|Bicycles at home||Yes||Yes|
|Occupier’s liability to third parties||Up to £2 million||Yes|
|Home emergency cover||x||Up to £1,000|
|Family Legal Protection||x||Yes|
Check your policy document carefully to ensure you have the correct cover for your needs.
Legal & General offers a range of additional protection to bolt onto your home insurance policy, including:
- Accidental damage cover
- Personal Possessions cover
- Family legal protection cover
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
You’ll find details about your excess in your policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your Legal & General home insurance premium, including:
The cover option you choose. Enhancing your buildings, contents and combined cover policies with optional extras will provide more features and broader cover than Legal & General’s standard cover options, which will likely be reflected in the price.
- Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
- Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
- Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example storm or theft, are more prevalent in certain areas, and insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premiums.
- Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.
What is the claims process for Legal & General?
You should call the 24-hour Legal & General claims line on 0370 900 5565. Alternatively, you can make a claim online on the Legal & General website.
It’s worth having the following information to hand when making a claim:
- Your policy details and personal contact details.
- The date of the incident.
- Details such as the cause of the incident.
- The value of any lost or damaged items being claimed for.
- Names and addresses of any other people involved or responsible for the incident, including details of injuries.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Legal & General pros and cons
- Legal & General’s Gold home insurance is 5* Defaqto-rated.
- Available cover options suit different requirements and budgets.
- Home insurance policies can be enhanced with extra protection.
- Make a claim 24/7 or online.