Compare iPhone 12 insurance providers
When you get a new iPhone 12, you’ll get AppleCare, but it won’t cover accidental damage. Before you shell out £149 for two years of AppleCare+, compare alternatives that typically cost far less.
What's in this guide?
- Compare iPhone 12 insurance providers
- The iPhone 12 range
- What does iPhone 12 insurance cover?
- What isn't covered under an iPhone 12 insurance policy?
- Is it worth getting insurance for my iPhone 12?
- How to find the best iPhone 12 insurance policy
- How do I claim on my iPhone 12 insurance policy?
- The bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about iPhone 12 insurance
The iPhone 12 range is the most expensive set of iPhones on the market.
Your iPhone 12 might come with 4x better drop protection, plus improved protection against water damage, but it’s still possible to do it serious damage if you drop it or it gets bashed. And replacing it won’t be cheap.
Here’s what you need to know about insuring your iPhone 12.
The iPhone 12 range
iPhone 12 insurance covers the following models.
|iPhone 12 mini||A 5.4-inch Super Retina screen. 5G mobile web coverage. Dual 12MP camera with new-and-improved night mode.|
|iPhone 12||A 6.1-inch Super Retina screen. 5G mobile web coverage. Dual 12MP camera with new-and-improved night mode. Up to 256GB of storage.|
|iPhone 12 Pro||A 6.1-inch Super Retina screen. 5G mobile web coverage. Dual 12MP camera with new-and-improved night mode. Up to 512GB of storage. Plus, more camera features and longer battery life.|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max||A 6.7-inch Super Retina screen. 5G mobile web coverage. Dual 12MP camera with new-and-improved night mode. Up to 512GB of storage. Plus, the best camera features and longest battery life.|
What does iPhone 12 insurance cover?
You can expect iPhone 12 insurance to cover the cost of repairing or replacing your iPhone 12 in the following circumstances.
- Accidental damage. If your iPhone is damaged or broken unintentionally.
- Malicious damage. If someone deliberately damages your iPhone.
- Liquid damage. Damage caused by exposure to or immersion in liquid.
- Screen damage. If your screen cracks or stops working, you’ll be covered.
- Mechanical breakdown. If the iPhone breaks down or stops working properly, you’ll receive a working replacement.
- Loss/theft. If your iPhone is lost or stolen, you’ll be covered, provided you took reasonable care to look after it.
- Unauthorised usage. If your iPhone is stolen, you’ll also be covered for charges resulting from unauthorised usage. This includes calls, app purchases, data usage or someone accessing your e-wallet.
- Accessories cover. You’ll be covered for the replacement or repair of any accessories lost or damaged along with the phone.
What isn’t covered under an iPhone 12 insurance policy?
Few iPhone 12 insurance policies will cover second-hand devices. Most will only cover iPhones of a maximum age. This could be anything between 3 months and 36 months depending on your choice of insurer.
Your policy won’t cover damages sustained before the cover began. You’ll need to keep hold of your proof of purchase in order to make a successful claim.
Here is a list of other scenarios where you’re not likely to be covered by your iPhone 12 insurance:
- Deliberate damage. Intentional damage caused by yourself or an immediate family member will not be covered.
- Results of extreme carelessness. You’ll be expected to take reasonable care to protect your iPhone from being damaged, lost or stolen.
- Loss/theft claims where your iPhone was left unattended. This will be treated as an example of extreme carelessness.
- Loss/theft claims without a crime report. You’ll need to provide a crime reference number with your claim. In most cases, you’ll also have to make your network provider aware of the loss before claiming.
Is it worth getting insurance for my iPhone 12?
At the time of its release, the iPhone 12 was one of the most expensive smartphones on the market, costing from £699 to £999 depending on your choice of model.
Even with the extra effort to make this iPhone more durable, it remains pretty easy to damage or lose this device. Many iPhone owners will take their phone with them every time they leave the house – and one slip of the hand could render it useless.
If you’re not comfortable with the idea of shelling out hundreds of pounds to replace or repair your iPhone 12, it’s worth considering getting insurance.
Should I not just stick with AppleCare?
AppleCare is the warranty offered by Apple. You’ll be given basic AppleCare protection for your first year of owning a new iPhone 12. This covers battery replacement and mechanical breakdowns.
You can also invest in AppleCare+, which adds an extra year to your warranty, plus you’ll be covered for two incidents of accidental damage and you’ll receive priority telephone support. It costs £149 for two years, which may cost less than most iPhone 12 insurance policies.
However, it’s unlikely to be as in-depth as third-party iPhone insurance. You won’t be covered for loss or theft, for example.
Also, you can only buy AppleCare within 60 days of purchasing a new iPhone.
How to find the best iPhone 12 insurance policy
In order to find the best iPhone 12 insurance policy, there are a few steps you can take:
- Choose what cover options you need. Most policies include liquid, damage and theft as standard but you should look into optional add-ons such as worldwide cover if you tend to travel a lot.
- Weigh up the overall cost vs price of the phone. As part of your research, you should weigh up the cost of insurance versus the likelihood of making a claim. There are also excess levels to consider in the overall cost in the event you have to make a claim.
- Look at a multi-gadget policy. Some providers offer multi-gadget discounts which can help if you are insuring a number of different gadgets.
- Check if you’re already covered. There are banks in the UK that cover iPhones and other gadgets as standard when you open an account. You can also check with your network provider to see if you are covered under its mobile phone insurance plans.
- Compare policies and get a range of quotes. It always pays to shop around and compare providers to find a policy that gives you the right level of protection.
How do I claim on my iPhone 12 insurance policy?
The process of making a claim on your iPhone 12 insurance will differ depending on your choice of insurance company.
Some allow you to claim online, while others require you to make a phone call.
Either way, you’ll always need to provide details of your device and the incident that led to the claim.
For loss or theft claims, you’ll have to obtain a crime reference number and notify your network provider before making a claim. With claims for a damaged phone, you’ll be required to send your device to an Apple-approved repairer for inspection.
Once this process has been completed, your insurer will inform you on its decision to repair or replace it.
The bottom line
When you consider the remarkable cost of the iPhone 12 and the relatively low cost of insuring it, investing in iPhone 12 insurance is definitely worth considering, especially if you’re accident-prone. Compare our panel of iPhone 12 insurance providers and find the right level of cover for you.
Frequently asked questions about iPhone 12 insurance
More guides on Finder
Business gadget insurance
Find business gadget insurance to cover all your expensive items such as mobile phones and laptops.
Gadget insurance abroad
Find out whether you need gadget insurance for travel and what’s included in the cover, plus tips to keep your devices safe while travelling.
Modified motorcycle insurance
Find out what type of insurance you need if you’ve made additions or alterations to your motorbike.
Learner motorbike insurance
Find out what motorcycle insurance for learner riders includes, what affects the cost of premiums and how you can save money.
Courier van insurance
Find out what van insurance for courier drivers includes, who it’s for and how to save on your policy.
Peugeot 108 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 108 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lexus IS200 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lexus IS200 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lexus CT200 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the Lexus CT200 based on your age and location.
MG ZR insurance group
Find out which insurance group the MG ZR falls under and how much it costs to insure.
MG3 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the MG3 based on your age and location.
Ask an Expert