U-Drive Cover car insurance review
U-Drive Cover specialises in finding cover for imported cars, young drivers, and those with a driving conviction. We've analysed what it offers.
If you own a high-performance, modified or imported car, chances are you already know it can be a pain to find the right car cover. We’ve looked into the specialist car insurance on offer through U-Drive Cover. This broker says it can help, whoever you are and whatever you drive. Here’s what you need to know.
Who is U-Drive Cover?
Since 2014, U-Drive Cover has been arranging car insurance, including specialist policies for young and convicted drivers as well as ex-company car drivers. This broker also caters for drivers of a range of specialist vehicles such as modified, imported and high-performance cars.
What are U-Drive Cover’s levels of cover?
U-Drive Cover’s Third Party cover
Third party cover is the minimum level of cover that U-Drive Cover offers. All drivers in the UK are legally obliged to have at least this insurance to be on the roads. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be covered for damage to third party vehicles or property. But it won’t cover any damage to your own car. Don’t assume this is the cheapest option because it has the least protection. Check each cover level to see which offers you the best value.
U-Drive Cover’s Third Party, Fire and Theft cover
This gives the same level of cover as third party but will also provide protection against any fire damage to your car or theft of your car.
U-Drive Cover’s Comprehensive cover
This gives the same protection as the other levels in addition to insuring your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. This level of cover can be cheaper than third party, or TPFT, so it’s always worth checking.
U-Drive Cover can provide add-ons including:
- Breakdown cover
- Excess protection
- Key car
- Guaranteed hire car
- Legal cover
- Windscreen cover
What is covered under my U-Drive Cover policy?
|Cover benefits||Third party||Third party, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Liability to other people||✓||✓||✓|
|Fire and theft||–||✓||✓|
Beyond the standard cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Your cover through U-Drive Cover is likely to become invalid if any of the following arises:
- Your car is being driven by an unnamed driver on your policy or by a person that does not have a valid driving licence.
- Your car is used for rallies, races or competitions.
- You are paid to carry passengers.
- You fail to pay for your premium.
- You change your car during the policy term to a car that the insurer cannot cover.
- You do not provide the correct documents to support your application.
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your car insurance policy through U-Drive Cover
- Check comprehensive. Contrary to what you might expect, comprehensive cover can be cheaper than third party (TP) or third party, fire and theft so it’s always worth checking. This is because of the risk profile of many people who get TP.
- Park securely. Cars kept in a garage or on a secure driveway are usually cheaper to insure.
- Reduce mileage. If you start working part-time or your long commute becomes much shorter, letting your insurer know about a reduction in your mileage could result in cheaper insurance.
- Increase the excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
- Pick a smaller car. Choosing to drive a small and safe car is likely to lower your premium.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for U-Drive Cover?
Call U-Drive Cover on 0800 223 0690 to make a claim.
You’re likely to need your personal details as well as all facts about the incident such as names and contacts of third parties and passengers, photographic evidence, if available and a crime book reference number, if applicable.
Even if you’re not responsible for an accident, it’s important that you let your insurer know about it as soon as possible. If you don’t report an incident quickly, your claim could be rejected later on.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Car insurance group 7 Find out how much it might cost to insure a car in insurance group 7.
Classes of use: How they affect the cost of your car insurance Find out what classes of use means in car insurance and how to choose the right one based on your individual circumstances.
Vauxhall Adam insurance group and cost Find out the car insurance costs for a Vauxhall Adam based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
Suzuki Alto insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of insurance in the UK for a Suzuki Alto based on the driver's age and their location.
Car insurance group 8 Find out the list of cars in insurance group 8 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 10 Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 10 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 9 Find out the list of cars in insurance group 9 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Best car insurance for over 50s in the UK right now We've reviewed and rated the best car insurance providers out there in the UK for over 50s.
Mazda RX-8 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Mazda RX-8 based on the driver's age and location.
Peugeot 107 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Peugeot 107 based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.