American Express offers credit and charge cards for business customers, offering the chance to monitor spending and attain rewards while spending.
American Express offers a range of credit cards and charge cards for business customers. However, the size of your business will dictate the type of card you are eligible to apply for.
If you have a small to medium businesses, you can apply for a charge card, as Amex business credit cards are only available to large corporate businesses.
American Express business charge cards offer you the opportunity to manage your company’s cash flow while earning rewards for your spending.
What's the difference between a charge card and credit card?With a charge card, you are expected to clear your balance in full every month. As such, these cards don’t charge interest, although there are usually harsh fees if you fail to clear your balance. The benefits of charge cards include flexibility over payments (purchases at the start of the billing cycle are paid for at the end of the billing cycle) and in some cases, rewards on your spending. Charge cards can come with a monthly or annual fee attached, however, and do not offer purchase protection under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
While charge cards are fairly rare in the consumer space, they are more prevalent in business banking.
Compare American Express business cards
Approval for any credit card will depend on your status. The APR shown represents the interest rate offered to most successful applicants. Depending on your personal circumstances the APR you're offered may be higher, or you may not be offered credit at all. Fees and rates are subject to change without notice. It's always wise to check the terms of any deal before you borrow.
American Express business cards features and benefits
American Express offers a range of benefits to all business card customers, including:
- Business account management. Amex’s 24-hour online business account management lets you check your balance, payments, past statements and keep track of all business purchases made on your Account.
- Membership rewards. Earn one point on every full £1 you spend and redeem for a variety of rewards to reinvest in your business or to treat yourself or your employees.
- Cash flow management. Up to 42 or 54 days, depending on your card.
- Complimentary supplementary cards. Available to Platinum and Gold business charge cardholders.
- No pre-set spending limit. As with all charge cards, there is no credit limit as you are expected to pay off your balance in full every billing cycle.
How to compare American Express business cards
When comparing American Express business charge cards, think about what your company needs.
If you’re starting out and want to avoid fees, then the Basic card could be a handy way to take advantage of Amex’s business tools while keeping costs down.
However, if you want rewards for your spending, such as points and travel benefits, including free airport lounge access, a concierge and insurance, it would be worth considering the Gold or Platinum charge card.
Frequently asked questions