Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser disclosure

How to refinance international student loans

You might qualify for a better deal even if you don't have a green card — or a cosigner.

While most student loan refinancing companies require you to be a US citizen or permanent resident, there are a few options available if you’re a nonresident who went to school in the US. With some, you might not need a cosigner as long as you can meet other requirements. Prequalify before you apply to make sure it offers a better deal than your current student loans.

Compare 6 refinancing opportunities available to former international students

These six companies offer student loan refinancing you can qualify for if you were an international student and are still working in the US:

Prodigy Finance

  • Amounts: Not stated
  • APRs: 4% + 3 month LIBOR RATE
  • Terms: 7 to 20 years
  • Eligibility requirements: Noncitizen working in an eligible US state or UK, graduate of an eligible university, existing private student loan.

Prodigy Finance might be the only lender that offers refinancing specifically for international students — in fact, you can’t be a US citizen or permanent resident if you want to qualify. But it only offers variable rates, which start higher than what you might find with other lenders. It’s also not available in all states or to graduates of all schools.


  • Amounts: $5,000 to $500,000
  • APRs: 4.6% to 8.25% With autopay

  • Terms: 5 to 20 years
  • Eligibility requirements: US citizen or permanent resident, graduated from an eligible title IV school or program. Nonresident with an H-1B, E-3, J-1, L-1 or E-2 visa

This online lender offers student loan refinancing to former international students, as long as you have the right type of visa. It offers competitive rates and has a higher limit than some student loan refinancing providers. But you can’t bring on a cosigner if you can’t meet other requirements like the minimum credit score on your own.


  • Amounts: From $5,000
  • APRs: 6.24% to 9.99%
  • Terms: 5 to 20 years
  • Eligibility requirements: Must be an employed US citizen not living in Vermont with a minimum loan balance of at least $5,000. Nonresident with an H-1B, E-2, E-3, J-1, L-1 or O-1 visa.

SoFi specializes in student loan refinancing and is willing to work with nonresidents as long as you have the right visa — with no cosigner required. It also works with O-1 visas, which CommonBond doesn’t accept. While it has highly competitive rates, its membership perks like networking events and wealth advisers are also a huge draw. But you’ll need strong personal finances to qualify.

  • More guides on Finder

    Ask a Question provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

    By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

    Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
    Go to site